You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

merenovice or some other bright spark!!

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
help please. i understand the basics of %/ odds/ outs. but i got a tad stumped last night in a live game. playing in tourny and we got down to final 3. chip leaders sat on 32k 2nd 28k and im on 22k. blinds are 500k and 1k. i am in the bb with k8 off, dealer folds sb flat calls. flop comes kc jh 8c ( i have no clubs). agressive sb raises to 6k. knowing the player well ,i put him on either flush draw or is on the rob. thinking he is not pot committed and can get away from this hand i push all in. after a min he says" i know im behind but i got outs" and turns over j c 10c. hits  club on river. a very new player behind m,e says " unlucky" " cant believed he called". i tried to explain to him that he had 2js +9 +3 10s to improve his hand.  which i made about 50%.. so i wasnt that upset he called. he then turned round and said but you got 4 cards to improve your hand to a full house. "how do those odds equate into that". and i was stumped. could some one explain to me 1 was it a bad push or call. 2 who was actually ahead at flop. 3 how do cards that i can hit effect the odds. brain hurtin now, hope this isnt too all over the place for someone to help. phil

Comments

• edited May 2010

Your equity 57.67%

Their equity 42.33%
  • edited May 2010

21-6=15 to call

pot=44

15/44*100= villian needs 34.1% equity to call which he has.(plus he might put you on a tp instead of two pair.)
  • edited May 2010
    thanks deuce, but how does the cards i can hit effect the odds?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: merenovice or some other bright spark!!:
    Posted by pod1

I suspect that you're more interested in the general theory here than the specifics of this example so I'll add my tuppence worth.

Firstly, in this example, he has less outs than you give him credit for since the 10's are no good (your KK88 would beat his JJTT).
    However, when he assessed his odds he would not know that you had flopped two pairs so he would expect his 10's to be outs and it is quite reasonable for him to think this.

Generally flopping a pair and a flush draw is a very strong hand and, unless your opponent has a set or two pairs it is reasonable to assume that you are at least level (odds wise).

Strictly from a mathematical point of view:
    a) the probability of two events both happening (so long as they are "independent") is obtained by mutiplying the probabilities of the individual events.
    b) the odds of either of two ("mutually exclusive") things happening is obtained by adding the probability of the individual events

However, the events here are not mutually exclusive or independent so the maths is a little more complicated. I can go into more depth if you wish!

If your opponent has a flush draw and you have two pairs after the flop, your opponent's odds of winning the hand would (roughly) be reduced proportionally to the number of outs that you have for the re-draw.

If you have 2 pairs, there are 4 cards that would make you a full house.

When we use "the rule of 4 and 2", we are actually factoring in a little of these re-draws since the odds of hitting a card on the turn (or river) is close to 2.3% not 2% so multiplying your outs by 4 (or 2) to give a percentage for your chances of winning a hand is generally reasonable although there are examples where it does not work too well - I can quote examples if you're interested.

• edited May 2010
    wow. you are clever sir!. the rule of 4 and 2 i understand. but the "independent" and "mutually exclusive" i have read 3 times and on the last time i heard something pop in my head. i am going to wipe the blood of the keyboard, lie down for a bit and go over it again later. thanks again for explaining it. now i have to go back to him next weds and try and explain it to him. or just print this off!!!!! tnx again phil

• edited May 2010
    Gr8 mere i love reading this stuff from you it is very very informative.dav
  • edited May 2010
    he is a very special donkey!!
  • edited May 2010
    Some more explanation of "independent" and "mutually exclusive" events.

I'll use an example of tossing a "fair" coin, i.e one that will come down either heads or tails with an equal chance.

The probability of a head is 0.5 and the probability of a tail is 0.5.

The coin coming down heads or coming down tails are "mutually exclusive" events, i.e. they cannot both happen on a single toss of the coin.
    Therefore the probability of a coin coming down either heads or tails is 0.5 + 0.5 = 1.

If the coin is tossed twice then the two tosses are "independent" events, i.e. it doesn't matter what happens on the first toss, the odds of the second toss coming heads or tails are not affected.
    Therefore the probability of two tails being tossed are 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25.
    You can see that this is correct if you consider the four possible outcomes of two coin tosses, i.e. HH, HT, TT & TH.

A pack of cards is different if we don't replace the cards after choosing the first one.

Imagine we had a bag which contained two black balls and two white balls.
    If we pick a ball out at random, then the probabilities of picking a white ball or a black ball are each 0.5.
    However, if we select a black ball and don't replace the ball in the bag then if we pick a random second ball the probability of picking a black ball is 0.33 (i.e. 1 in 3) and the probability of a white ball is now 0.67 (2 in 3).

This is an example of events that are not "independent".
  • edited May 2010
    I think Merenovice is making this all up.  I'm waiting for bryan1960's opinion on this matter.
  • edited May 2010
    Apologies, I forgot to add an example of events that are not "mutually exclusive".

If we pick a card from a pack of cards at random, the probability of picking a heart is 1/4 (i.e. 13/52) and the probability of picking a jack is 1/13 (i.e. 4/52).

However, these two events are not "mutually exclusive" since it is possible to pick the jack of hearts which is both a jack and a heart. :-)))
  • edited May 2010
    Apologies, I forgot to add an example of events that are not "mutually exclusive". If we pick a card from a pack of cards at random, the probability of picking a heart is 1/4 (i.e. 13/52) and the probability of picking a jack is 1/13 (i.e. 4/52). However, these two events are not "mutually exclusive" since it is possible to pick the jack of hearts which is both a jack and a heart. :-)))
    Posted by MereNovice
    Would that not be better explained in a Venn diagram?   :)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: merenovice or some other bright spark!! : Would that not be better explained in a Venn diagram?   :)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    That's an excellent point.   :-)))

• edited May 2010
    It's actually a picture of a young Barbara Windsor - I'm just hoping to sneak it past the mods.
  • edited May 2010

It all seems like a right load of

MATHEMATICS to me.

• edited May 2010
    if carlsberg made answers then this is it. "probably this best answer in the world"  even i got my head around this this time round and no blood on the keyboard!! if i stay on the computer and and carry on drinking beer , what are the odds on me getting "lucky" with the wife later???
  • edited May 2010
    if carlsberg made answers then this is it. "probably this best answer in the world"  even i got my head around this this time round and no blood on the keyboard!! if i stay on the computer and and carry on drinking beer , what are the odds on me getting "lucky" with the wife later???
    Posted by pod1
    This is a VERY tricky question.
    There are a huge number of variables to be considered and the consequent calculations are very complicated.

After much hard work, I came up with a probability of 0, i.e. your and your wife's gen1talia will be "mutually exclusive" this evening.
  • edited May 2010
    alas, yet again i think you are correct, i am just wondering what if you factored in that britains got talent is on, and that might put her in a slightly better mood.
  • edited May 2010
    Posted by pod1
    If their actual equity is 42.33% and if we use the rule of 4*11 (9 flush cards+2j's)= 44% equity then it looks like the cards you can hit dont actually change the odds that much, although merenovice might correct me on this as im no expert lol.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: merenovice or some other bright spark!! : If their actual equity is 42.33% and if we use the rule of 4*11 (9 flush cards+2j's)= 44% equity then it looks like the cards you can hit dont actually change the odds that much, although merenovice might correct me on this as im no expert lol.
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    Yes, the cards you can hit do affect this since you have re-draws even if your opponent hits the flush.

However, as stated earlier, the rule of "4 and 2" is generally a good guideline since it accounts for re-draws.

When it comes to a 15 second decision on the flop for all your chips, the best that you can generally do is have a stab at the number of outs that you think you have and multiply it by 4 for a percentage of winning the hand.

If you're not all-in (and your opponent is not all-in) it becomes much more complicated.

On top of all this, you need to factor in your opinion of your opponent, e.g. how likely is he to make moves with drawing hands.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: merenovice or some other bright spark!! : This is a VERY tricky question. There are a huge number of variables to be considered and the consequent calculations are very complicated. After much hard work, I came up with a probability of 0, i.e. your and your wife's gen1talia will be "mutually exclusive" this evening.
    Posted by MereNovice

I laughed alot, 
  • edited May 2010
    Vince, you ARE The Man!!!!

x
  • edited May 2010
    so, back to the original hand, was it a good play going all in with the 2 pair, and was it a good call, being 3 handed and 10 45 in a pub. ????
  • edited May 2010
    Pubs are like poker, there are too different answers depending on short term and long/medium term gains.

Short term, I've NEVER found a good reason for leaving at 10:45pm.

Medium term, I've often wished that I left at 10:45pm.

I hope that this helps.
  • edited May 2010
    Pubs are like poker, there are too different answers depending on short term and long/medium term gains. Short term, I've NEVER found a good reason for leaving at 10:45pm. Medium term, I've often wished that I left at 10:45pm. I hope that this helps.
    Posted by MereNovice
    lol.... very true :-)