You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPEND YOUR CLUBS MONEY

edited July 2010 in The Shed
Within the realms of possibility which players would you bring in to your football club for next season if you could and who would go ???

Here goes....And no DOHHHHHHH I wont get rid of Fergie lol.

Would get rid of Berbatov, Foster, Gary Neville, Carrick. Brown, Hargreaves....love em but bye bye.

Would buy Drogba (if he'd come), Glen Johnson, Wright Phillips. Tevez (lol) Milner, Lennon. Essien.

Will probably change my mind after the world cup lol.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    LOL mate, anybody who does not support Utd would gladly "get rid" of Gary Neville.

As for Berbatov, its a shame they never kept the receipt.

Fergie has not made many bad signings over the years, but even the most knowledgable Utd fan would agree that he is a duck-egg.....and a reassuringly expensive one at that.
  • edited May 2010
    Sort of felt ungrateful and a bit of a Judas mentioning Neville because there has been no better slave or passionate player for us. But everytime i see him now i whince a bit because he has turned into a liablity.

Drogba was naffed off pre season and i wanted Fergie to swoop in and poach him with the Ronaldo money. If he had the league would be different i think. He also should have signed Johnson (imo)

I understand everyone hating Neville but if you supported man u you would love him, probably for the same reasons that you hate him if that makes any sense whatsoever lol.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: SPEND YOUR CLUBS MONEY:
    LOL mate, anybody who does not support Utd would gladly "get rid" of Gary Neville. As for Berbatov, its a shame they never kept the receipt. Fergie has not made many bad signings over the years, but even the most knowledgable Utd fan would agree that he is a duck-egg.....and a reassuringly expensive one at that.
    Posted by emilyegg
    He's got the Bent factor about him - both good players but neither really suit Spurs/United's style of play which is why in the end, both failed to deliver consistently despite showing glimpses! Berbatov thrived on being the key man at Spurs but at United, he's just another cog in the machine and there's been lots of players in the past who haven't had the right work ethic/mentality to cope at the highest level that United require - £30 million was great business for Spurs so thank you very much Fergie...can we interest you in Jenas?

Back to the article, I don't want Spurs to go mental in the transfer market - we've thrived on signing young players who can grow with the club so as much as spending £25 million + on superstars would be amazing, we owe it to the players who've got us 4th to give them chance at higher level! Get good cover for Gomes and another striker (Keane and Pav unlikely to last the summer) whilst keeping hold of Modric and Bale would be perfect - sell on the deadwood and look forward to next season!
  • edited May 2010
    Some SOUND footballing knowledge on here. Like it.

Would put a bet on that there will be a few "articles" over the summer involving Berbatov...

"I may have been a bit hasty"

"I was pressurised into moving and the price tag never helped me"

Really annoys me personally when players like that are brought to the greatest league in the world (Berbatov WAS class at Spurs) but then totally knife-in-the-back the clubs who "made them".

As a Newcastle Utd fan......a combination of NOT paying over-inflated prices anymore, timed with a World Cup year thrown in...(where we have traditionally been "proper mugs") buying donkeys on the back of ONE performance pleases me no end.

We have unearthed a LEGEND in Chris Hughton.

Please DO NOT fukc it up Mr Ashley......
  • edited May 2010
    Im a Doncaster Rovers fan.....so Who we get in and who we get rid of is dictated by, who's available, and who we can afford...theres not alot of choice unfortunately. 

Given the choice, I'd keep exactly the same squad, and ensure survival again.

As a neutral though, I feel I in a fantastic position, to speculate .........

So Manchester City......and Chelsea....with "UNLIMITED FINANCES" should fight it out for Messi....

Give Barca 250m.....

Offer the player himself 1m a week....and a house.....obv...

Even tho thats like me spending a tenner on a chinese, in Abramovich terms...its not gonna happen.....

So I suggest....

United sign Ledley King 

United sign Joe Hart

United sign Fernando Torres

And probably top of their shopping list, should be .... Billy Sharp

• edited May 2010

Ohhh and a sa United fan, if you want a new David Beckham ....but better....

Tom Huddlestone!!!

Oh and whoever has Peter Crouch next season, should break the bank to sign DELAP
  • edited May 2010
    Ohhh and a sa United fan, if you want a new David Beckham ....but better.... Tom Huddlestone!!! Oh and whoever has Peter Crouch next season, should break the bank to sign DELAP
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol. Corker idea that.
  • edited May 2010
    i'm an aldershot fan so if man u throw gary neville out we'll have him!!
  • edited May 2010

If we're talking realms of possibility then i'll be more than happy if we get rid of the following:

Tom Hicks and George Gillett(pictured below)

Rafa Benitez
    Insua
    Kyrgiakos
    Lucas(please, please get rid of this lightweight)
    Ngog

What a mess Rafa has made. So much so that on Super Sunday a while ago Ian St.John was nearly reduced to tears when they were talking about the sorry situation.  £20m for Aquilani with the Alonso money. He may be gifted but he's another lightweight with a terrible injury record. Why on earth did he not pay £2.5m for Kranjcar? Then he would've had another £17.5m to spend instead of complaining about a lack of funds. Harry Redknapp can sniff out a bargain. Hats off to Spurs, they're on the crest of a wave at the moment, Harry's a top manager. Gets the best out of players and lets them express themselves.

If Airwalker gives me the green light to go loco and spend money we haven't got then i'll post a great team. If not then i'll do some wheeling and dealing myself and see what i can patch together.

• edited May 2010
    OK M8. Put some players together in the situation that might happen if you sell Torres or Gerrarard for an over inflated price to Madrid or City lol.

Failing this just do whatever. We all know what we would do with money being no object, but like the politicians, if your gonna spend it say where your getting it from.

You have made some excellent points about Liverpool and Raphas decision making. The players that he has got rid of and just missed out on is a factor as well.

I also think that perhaps even Hypia went a season too soon and was missed as much as Alonso.
  • edited May 2010
    Get rid of Torres for some big money (I like him, he is the best striker i the world. but what is the point in having him scoring 20 goals in half a season and us not scoring any for the other half).

Possibly wangle Ireland from Man City as part of the deal too, we need a guy who will run into the box.

also on the way out.. Degen, Kyrigiaokos (he's ok but he concedes corners as if he has a bet on most matches). Would like to get rid of more but the squad is too small for anything like that.

buying in we need Fernando Llorente from Bilbao or Stephen Kiesling for Leverkusion, and another stiker liek Carlton Cole who can be a back up but able to come intot he first team and not leave us looking like a League 1 outfit like N'Gog.

Midfield we need like I say Ireland, Parker or Nuri Sahin.

also we need to promote this kid Amoo from our reserves to play on the right wing, he is amazing would let us play Kuyt as a striker.
  • edited May 2010
    Being a West Ham fan it's probably easier & quicker for me to list the players I'd like to see us keep!

Parker, Green, Noble, Diamanti, Collison & Illunga to stay. As far as I'm concerned every other player in the squad has a price & there's a couple I'd even be willing to drive to somewhere else myself, notably Spector, Kovac & fat boy Mido (what a waste of 1k a week he's been).

Players I'd like to see join, well almost anyone is better than half our squad but I did see a rumour about Martin Petrov today on a free so I wouldn't mind him. It's a shame that Liverpool have nicked Jonjo Shelvey from Charlton cos I reckon he is well worth the punt (maybe we could have him on loan for next season?)
  • edited May 2010
    Being a West Ham fan it's probably easier & quicker for me to list the players I'd like to see us keep! Parker, Green, Noble, Diamanti, Collison & Illunga to stay. As far as I'm concerned every other player in the squad has a price & there's a couple I'd even be willing to drive to somewhere else myself, notably Spector, Kovac & fat boy Mido (what a waste of 1k a week he's been). Players I'd like to see join, well almost anyone is better than half our squad but I did see a rumour about Martin Petrov today on a free so I wouldn't mind him. It's a shame that Liverpool have nicked Jonjo Shelvey from Charlton cos I reckon he is well worth the punt (maybe we could have him on loan for next season?)
    Posted by silentbob
    not bothered about keeping upson?
  • edited May 2010
    Some SOUND footballing knowledge on here. Like it. Would put a bet on that there will be a few "articles" over the summer involving Berbatov... "I may have been a bit hasty" "I was pressurised into moving and the price tag never helped me" Really annoys me personally when players like that are brought to the greatest league in the world (Berbatov WAS class at Spurs) but then totally knife-in-the-back the clubs who "made them". As a Newcastle Utd fan......a combination of NOT paying over-inflated prices anymore, timed with a World Cup year thrown in...(where we have traditionally been "proper mugs") buying donkeys on the back of ONE performance pleases me no end. We have unearthed a LEGEND in Chris Hughton. Please DO NOT fukc it up Mr Ashley......
    Posted by emilyegg
    heard o"hara might be heading your way for £5 million
  • edited May 2010
    He is DEFO a premier league player BADBOY and (imo) would make more of an impact than players like Danny Guthrie....not knocking the boy, just do not think he is PL class. WOULD NOT be upset to see Jamie O`Hara in Black and White stripes though.

Everything aside though, if Chris Hughton said he was after signing Deirdre Barlow, I would not disagree with him. He has got a MASSIVE managerial future ahead of him, just hope it is on Tyneside. 
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: SPEND YOUR CLUBS MONEY : not bothered about keeping upson?
    Posted by BADBOY985
    tbh mate, Upson is over rated & has been shocking for the past 18 months or so. God help us if England need to rely on him this summer. I was really angry when we sold Collins to Villa last summer, I would've rather kept him & let Upson go.

Wouldn't mind getting O'Hara in though if the spuds would sell.
  • edited May 2010
    Christian Nade's up for grabs if any clubs are wanting him, a strong physical forward, he'll last at least 20 minutes per game and will score plenty of goals in training.

He's scored 19 goals*, he has one year more life experience than Wayne Rooney and is a full under-21 French International.

What would you say, £3M plus £2M in add-ons, £1M for the first full match he completes and £1M if he scores 2 goals in one season.

*that's 19 goals over his 10 year career.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: SPEND YOUR CLUBS MONEY : tbh mate, Upson is over rated & has been shocking for the past 18 months or so. God help us if England need to rely on him this summer. I was really angry when we sold Collins to Villa last summer, I would've rather kept him & let Upson go. Wouldn't mind getting O'Hara in though if the spuds would sell.
    Posted by silentbob
    THINK HES DEFINATLY OFF IN THE SUMMER IF HARRY DIDNT WANT HIM THIS YEAR HE WONT WANT HIM NEXT YEAR ONCE HES MADE HIS MIND UP ABOUT A PLAYER THAT USUALLY IT CANT SEE HIM BEING ABLE TO GO BACK AFTER SAYING HE WANTED THEM TO LOOSE THE SEMIFINAL
  • edited May 2010
    Christian Nade's up for grabs if any clubs are wanting him, a strong physical forward, he'll last at least 20 minutes per game and will score plenty of goals in training. He's scored 19 goals*, he has one year more life experience than Wayne Rooney and is a full under-21 French International. What would you say, £3M plus £2M in add-ons, £1M for the first full match he completes and £1M if he scores 2 goals in one season. *that's 19 goals over his 10 year career.
    Posted by Kevilfish
    PMSL Kev,,,,he is PASH, but he still managed to score at the Lochend Methadome.

Yogi Must Stay ;0)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: SPEND YOUR CLUBS MONEY : THINK HES DEFINATLY OFF IN THE SUMMER IF HARRY DIDNT WANT HIM THIS YEAR HE WONT WANT HIM NEXT YEAR ONCE HES MADE HIS MIND UP ABOUT A PLAYER THAT USUALLY IT CANT SEE HIM BEING ABLE TO GO BACK AFTER SAYING HE WANTED THEM TO LOOSE THE SEMIFINAL
    Posted by BADBOY985
    Our biggest problems in trying to sign him would be the p orn barons tightening the purse strings & even if we did come up with a suitable offer for club & player, would he really want to come to us on a permanent basis? Can't see it myself but I can hope.

• edited May 2010
    Just to go slightly off topic, what are the chances of Pompey sorting out this cva thing & preventing themselves starting next season with a 17 point deduction, badboy?

The only reason I ask is that you can currently get 10/1 on another Pompey relegation next season which might be worth a few quid depending on what happens (sorry mate, I know it's unthinkable)
  • edited May 2010
    Just to go slightly off topic, what are the chances of Pompey sorting out this cva thing & preventing themselves starting next season with a 17 point deduction, badboy? The only reason I ask is that you can currently get 10/1 on another Pompey relegation next season which might be worth a few quid depending on what happens (sorry mate, I know it's unthinkable)
    Posted by silentbob
    i put that up on the worth a big blind post last week. the whole clubs such a mess in the mail today it says the taxman now want anouther 12 million and theres talk of a few dodgy transfer deals with unlicensed agents which is what luton got -25 for. the creditors meeting didnt go well and if we dont get an agreement from them one off which is the taxman who looks set on making an example of us then that an automatic -10 so yes 10/1 may well look massive in a few months
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: SPEND YOUR CLUBS MONEY : Our biggest problems in trying to sign him would be the p orn barons tightening the purse strings & even if we did come up with a suitable offer for club & player, would he really want to come to us on a permanent basis? Can't see it myself but I can hope.
    Posted by silentbob
    I love O'Hara (as most Spurs fans do) and I think Harry rates him but unfortunately, he's got three central midfielders in front of him, not to mention Jenas. Now Bale's cemented the left wing spot, there's not even chance for him to play out there so he's someone that will be off :( gives everything and would happily keep him as squad player but at this stage of his career, he understandably wants and deserves regular first team football...we can't offer him that though! I think West Ham have good chance of getting him along with Fulham (he's London lad after all and with Danielle Lloyd pregnant, he might want to be nearer home more than he would anyway) which could see you jump ahead of other clubs that he might've looked at (Sunderland and Newcastle etc)

Getting rid of your crocked big earners (LBM, Dyer, Gabbidon) should go long way to pleasing Gold and Sullivan so they migt be willing to go for O'Hara? There won't be much getting through Parker and O'Hara come August that's for sure...
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to SPEND YOUR CLUBS MONEY:
    Within the realms of possibility which players would you bring in to your football club for next season if you could and who would go ??? Here goes....And no DOHHHHHHH I wont get rid of Fergie lol. Would get rid of Berbatov, Foster, Gary Neville, Carrick. Brown, Hargreaves....love em but bye bye. Would buy Drogba (if he'd come), Glen Johnson, Wright Phillips. Tevez (lol) Milner, Lennon. Essien. Will probably change my mind after the world cup lol.
    Posted by AIRWALKER
    I am soooo thankful your not alex ferguson, drogba???? johnson???? wright phillips???????

If dorgba ever signed for us id cry myslef to sleep every night untill he left, the guys a t£sser and i dont care how many goals he scores id rather loose than have him play for us.

I do agree milner would be a good signing, and i think Joe Cole on a free will be a great signing for whoever gets him.

We need a 2nd world class striker, torres might leave liverpool as no cham league but cant see him ever comming to us, really dont think were gonig to have that much money to spend either
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: SPEND YOUR CLUBS MONEY : I love O'Hara (as most Spurs fans do) and I think Harry rates him but unfortunately, he's got three central midfielders in front of him, not to mention Jenas. Now Bale's cemented the left wing spot, there's not even chance for him to play out there so he's someone that will be off :( gives everything and would happily keep him as squad player but at this stage of his career, he understandably wants and deserves regular first team football...we can't offer him that though! I think West Ham have good chance of getting him along with Fulham (he's London lad after all and with Danielle Lloyd pregnant, he might want to be nearer home more than he would anyway) which could see you jump ahead of other clubs that he might've looked at (Sunderland and Newcastle etc) Getting rid of your crocked big earners (LBM, Dyer, Gabbidon) should go long way to pleasing Gold and Sullivan so they migt be willing to go for O'Hara? There won't be much getting through Parker and O'Hara come August that's for sure...
    Posted by Action_Dan
    LBM has come out today & said he's leaving this summer which is good news as that saves us a good 50k plus a week (quite how he managed to negotiate that level of pay I have no idea).
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to SPEND YOUR CLUBS MONEY : I am soooo thankful your not alex ferguson, drogba???? johnson???? wright phillips??????? If dorgba ever signed for us id cry myslef to sleep every night untill he left, the guys a t£sser and i dont care how many goals he scores id rather loose than have him play for us.
    Posted by 35suited

I would like to choose with no money worries but i can't. I like johnson and phillips so thats just me. However i hate drogba too but whats that got to do with it?

He has never acted like he hates Man u, unlike Torres, Gerrard and others.

He is imo the best striker in the world by a mile and except perhaps Rooney, he is better than any Man u player.
  • edited May 2010

Was hoping to keep Torres and Gerrard but if getting rid is the only way to transform the club then so be it. I've seen figures of £60-70m quoted for Torres so if Man City want him that badly then we could do worse than getting a players and cash deal off them. I'm with Miyagi on  getting Ireland in, seems surplus to requirements now even though he was their best player just 1 year ago. I read somewhere that Martin O'Neill was interested in snapping him up for £4m. Hard to believe but what a steal that would be. So taking valuations and unsettled players into account i would propose the following deal to Man City: Stephen Ireland, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Craig Bellamy and £40m for Torres.

I'll sell Steven Gerrard to Real Madrid for £30m. This gives me £70m to play with. Lack of Champions League action next season hinders who i can bring in so the names obviously aren't going to be top drawer. Roger Johnson has been magnificent this season so i reckon i could tempt him away from Birmingham for £8m. In my opinion Carragher isn't good enough for our 1st team anymore. I'd bring in Gary Cahill to replace him at a cost of £12m. Bolton value him at £20m but that's insane. It's hard to find a decent left back. Can't understand why Rafa got rid of Stephen Warnock and brought Insua through. The best we could hope for is probably Maynor Figueroa. Wigan value him at £8m so i'd be willing to meet that.  West Ham say that Scott Parker is not for sale but i'd test their resolve with a £10m bid. Maybe they wouldn't want to go through with it but i think Parker would struggle to turn down the chance of a move to a bigger club.  This leaves me with £32m to spend on a striker. I'd bring Robbie Keane back. Superb player, didn't get a chance under Rafa, seems to be out of favour at Spurs so a £10m bid should do the trick. So here's my team for next season:

Reina

G.Johnson    R.Johnson    Cahill    Figueroa

Mascherano

Wright-Phillips                             Riera

Ireland

Bellamy       Keane

If i needed to go defensive then it would be more like this:

Reina

G.Johnson    R.johnson     Cahill    Figueroa

Mascherano

Kuyt                        Parker           Bellamy

Ireland

Keane

If the Liverpool chairman does happen to read this then i'll be willing to do the job for just £1m per year. ;-)

• edited July 2010
    Great bit of work by Hodgson, getting Joe Cole in for free. Best bargain so far in this current transfer window.