You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PTP TONIGHT - HARTIGAN'S OMAHA EXPERIMENT

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
Hello, you!

I'm back at the Sky Poker tables this evening.  At 8pm, I'll be playing the main event - the £5k Double Stack.  This is the tournament I won last month.  Tonight, I expect to do much worse...

Now, what's this "Omaha experiment" all about?  Well, for the first hour of my PTP session, I will be playing low-stakes PLO cash (either 5p/10p or 10p/20p) without using the CALL button.

Yes, that's right: I will only allow myself to RAISE or FOLD.  (Actually, I'm allowed to check as well, but that takes away some of the drama and excitement, so ignore that bit.)

I have no idea if this insane strategy will result in me playing more hands or becoming über-nitty.  And I have no idea if it will be profitable, or lead to an Orford-style bankroll meltdown.

There's only one way to find out: join me at the tables at 7pm for some Raise/Fold Pot Limit Omaha action :-)

Comments

• edited May 2010

works in holdem not sure if it will work in omaha, should do, i think.

• edited May 2010
    Sounds interesting.
    I'd say that it is contrary to what many experienced Omaha players would advise - certainly pre-flop.
    However, it should do wonders for the rake for Sky Poker.

Having thought about it a bit more, haven't you been trialling this exact same technique for your last few Omaha sessions?  :-)))
  • edited May 2010
    Never underestimate aggressive calling and confrontational limping.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: PTP TONIGHT - HARTIGAN'S OMAHA EXPERIMENT:
    Sounds interesting. I'd say that it is contrary to what many experienced Omaha players would advise - certainly pre-flop. However, it should do wonders for the rake for Sky Poker. Having thought about it a bit more, haven't you been trialling this exact same technique for your last few Omaha sessions?  :-)))
    Posted by MereNovice
    Ho...ho...ho!
  • edited May 2010
    P.S. Vince - there's a thread in The Shed called 'Tories in.....'  The conversation has turned to the issue of taxing poker winnings.  I'm interested in your opinion on the matter!
  • edited May 2010
    I'd love to help you test your style of playing but the start time means I'll be helping the destroyers win the team challenge...lol
  • edited May 2010
    The experiment has begun!

I'm at Lewisham (5p/10p) and Littlehampton (10p/20p).

• edited May 2010
    I'd like to thank everyone who participated in my PLO experiment this evening (even though I suspect a few of them had no idea they were taking part)...

GREGHOGG, james289, BIG0NAY, MereNovice, JumperG, HENSEY, BEACHBABY, TommyD, RIELLY002, gwenda1958, deuceman2, parko, fishdinner and Ritchie10.

So, did the experiment work?  In a word, no.  Probably because I advertised in advance that I was only raising or folding, and players like TommyD took advantage :-)

I managed to lose £1.59 at the 5p/10p table and £17.36 at the 10p/20p table.

When I return to the Omaha cash tables later this evening, I will go back to being a 'calling station'.  I'm confident I'll still lose money.  Just less of it.

I'm currently playing on table 43 in the £5k Double Stack.  Early on, I made a disciplined/nitty* fold with QQ.

(* Delete as applicable, after watching next week's PTP TV show!)

• edited May 2010
    First break in the £5k Double Stack...

Thanks to a lucky double up, I'm 61st out of 217 players with a stack of 8,820 (29bbs).

Fear not, Omaha lovers.  I'll be back in the PLO mix very soon!

• edited May 2010
    Out in 127th...

Crippled: AQ<AJ

Crushed: 33<AJ

Short break.  Then it's time for the continuation of Omaha cash action.

• edited May 2010
    I've just opened two tables - Purfleet & Wendover.

There are currently five empty seats on each.

• edited May 2010
    Hmmmm...

Maybe I should have stuck to my experimental strategy of just raising or folding.  That was an expensive session.  Despite winning £1.86 at my 10p/20p table, I lost £72 at my 25p/50p table.  Spewy calls galore!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who made it an evening to remember (at least until tomorrow morning): whataloser, freechips1, WASTE, KING67, opal_fruit, sheldon826, manxcat01, SolarCarro, darich, SoLack and -LEON- were among my opponents in the last two hours, along with many of the guys from earlier this evening.

I'll be back next Friday for more :-)