You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

poket 10s

i was playing in the 5 00 sat the other night and i had a pair of 10s blinds at 15/30 i was big blind it got raised to 90 so i called flop come out 9 3 9 i check he went 180 i called then came a 2 he went 480 i folded. would just like to know what other people would of done and would u have folded

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I can't really answer the poll vote because I would have done a few things differently before then which makes it a slightly tricky spot for us.

People fall into different camps with TT, kinda like JJ where they don't like the hand because it doesnt often hold up and might just want to play it for set value, others (like myself) recognise it as a premium hand and therefore play it strongly. As I am with the latter, i'm almost always re-raising pre-flop, to something like 270-360. Doing this gives me a better definition of the hand, and we can fold most of the times they 4-bet shove on us because they're going to have an overpair more often than not when they do that in a satellite.

The same can be said about the flop. We LOVE this flop. It's very rare that we see a flop with TT and are not facing overcards, and there are only 2 (likely) hands that we were beating pre-flop, which are now losing to, which was A9 or 33. As played and assuming it's a rainbow board, we can almost always assume our villian will c-bet when checked to with any hand because it's such a dry board that we're unlikely to connect with and would not call a bet with. Therefore, I would have gone with the check-raise. That's because we're getting an extra bit of money out of AK, AQ and all the other non-pair holdings in their range, and like I said with the pre-flop action, if we get a re-raise we can be fairly certain that the villain has an overpair.

If you had done either of those 2 things, you would pretty much know exactly where you are in the hand. Instead, you've been too passive, not gained enough information and put yourself in a tough spot. If I had to stick my neck out and answer your question, i'd probably say fold because you will rarely see someone c-bet the turn with air in a satellite on such a dry board. But like I say, we could have folded much earlier in the hand and with a lot less doubt if we asked a couple of questions.
  • edited July 2009
    I'd be betting the flop but, having checked the flop, I'd raise his bet rather than just calling. Having played it the way you did when he bets 480 you're either miles ahead or miles behind and you've no idea which, so just fold and get a better situation later on.
  • edited July 2009
    I'd have played the same as u pre flop.  However, I would have then check raised his c bet. Allows u to then define his range a bit more by his action to ur move.
  • edited July 2009
    thanks youngun for u comments i did think afthr i played it i played to passive its like u said when u have 10s or jacks on how strong to play them
  • edited July 2009
    You didnt mention stack sizes or where the initial raise came from. If it was utg, I would be torn between calling and reraising, If it was from btn or c/o then I`m definitely reraising.  I would bet the flop as checking gives him chance to check behind and gives a free card to AK/AQ
    1/2 - 3/4 bet on flop, if he comes over the top you are prob behind and can muck. I assume stacks are quite small at 15/30 level so the checkraise is commiting too many chips to be able to get away  from the hand if he 4bet shoves.

Assuming villain is not some crazy donk who Ive seen 3 barrelling AK on low boards in the past, then, as played, I would fold.

• edited August 2009
    Firstly, was this a button or Cut off raise?

Playing this hand out of position is very tricky.  I would have been tempted to Check Raise the flop.  And if it was a button raise, reraise Pre-flop.

Why?

With a button raise, you have no clue what the rasie was with.....A3 or AK, 99 or 98s  etc

What card (apart from Ten) am I hoping to see on Turn?

Obviously not Ace, King, Queen, or Jack

A deuce, 4 or 5 are  probably the only 'guaranteed' safe cards...unless of course they are holding that pocket pair.

I would say that out of position you need to raise your opponent at some point....to define your hand....you make this play when you believe you probably have the best hand.

Incidentally, the reraise/check raise needs to be 3x his bet