You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Call or raise?

ybyb
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Basically this player has been pretty loose passive (a bit of a calling station tbh). So how do you respond to the river bet?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
x Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £488.71
mrscruff34 Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £134.95
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • K

Randy76 Fold        
stien Fold        
yb Raise   £4.00 £5.50 £187.72
thedog29 Fold        
x Call   £3.50 £9.00 £485.21
mrscruff34 Fold        
Flop

x Check        
yb Bet   £6.00 £15.00 £181.72
x Call   £6.00 £21.00 £479.21
Turn

x Bet   £9.00 £30.00 £470.21
yb Call   £9.00 £39.00 £172.72
River

x Bet   £23.00 £62.00 £447.21

Comments

• edited May 2010
    errrrrr???????????????????????????????????????????????

FOLD
  • edited May 2010

He sped up on the turn, was he trying to buy a cheap card?  did the 6d seriously improve his hand?

Did he flop a set and decide the turn was scary so he had to get some money in?

I raise with your hand - I cant explain why, I dont know why, I just wing it. Put myself in that situation, and i'd raise. 

• edited May 2010
    Raise to about £65 and fold if he shoves the lot in.

You've hit a backdoor 2nd nut flush after leading out on the flop so your strength is disguised somewhat.
    He led out on the turn and that doesn't indicate to me that he is drawing to the nut flush (if he is a station).
    If he just check called on that flop with a set, he's trapping nicely and deserves to get a bit of value from you.
    His lead on the river looks a bit like a BBV (blocker bet for value) to me.

Having said all that, I call a lot in that situation because I don't have the cojones.
  • edited May 2010
    I think he's got a big overpair and nothing else, looking at the betting... of the other options, could he have the straight? Very doubtful. Flush? Doubtful again. Trip 5's? With the pre betting, probably not. As a passive player, I doubt he'd continually bet with just AK/AQ/KQ etc, nor with a pair lower than 10's. So my guess is JJ/QQ/KK/AA, or a set of 10s. 4's is a marginal possibility too, but I don't think so. I'd call the bet on the end personally, since although he could have the overpair, the FH is a reasonably strong possibility, I'd put him on 10's.

And upon further evaluation of the hand, I realised I misread everything and was looking at your bets. As you're the aggressor and he's limping along as usual, I think you have him beat. Big chance he has the straight IMO, if he has hit the FH, then seriously unlucky. I'm with MN on this one, triple up his bet and see what he does- I couldn't call a shove there either, but you may get a crying call with the straight or trips. The way it's played out I'm thinking 78s.
  • edited May 2010
    I don't see the discussion.

The decision is between raise to some number call it off and shove. 

I was joking when I was saying fold obviously.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call or raise?:
    ? I raise with your hand - I cant explain why, I dont know why, I just wing it. Put myself in that situation, and i'd raise. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Really though? You cant find a reason to raise when we have the second nut hand?!

• ybyb
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call or raise? : Really though? You cant find a reason to raise when we have the second nut hand?!
    Posted by beaneh
    Erm...so the possibility of a full house never crosses your mind there??? Thanks for the all the other very constructive replies guys!!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call or raise? : Erm...so the possibility of a full house never crosses your mind there??? Thanks for the all the other very constructive replies guys!!
    Posted by yb

yeah the possibility of all hands better cross my mind for like a split second.

Then I start profusely laughing out loud, and shovelling my chips in whilst fist pumping and singing songs about winnings lots of l'argent.
  • edited May 2010
    I don't see the discussion. The decision is between raise to some number call it off and shove.  I was joking when I was saying fold obviously.
    Posted by beaneh
    Phew. I thought you was, but I'm glad you confirmed it.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call or raise? : Phew. I thought you was, but I'm glad you confirmed it.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    i'm not as big a nit as you !!!

i'd have raise called this hand before I even see the board is paired! 

WE HAZ FRUSH
  • edited May 2010

Maybe I know what to do, just dont know why to do it

end result is the same, learn by doing i spose
  • edited May 2010
    in Response to Re: Call or raise?:
    In Response to Re: Call or raise? : i'm not as big a nit as you !!! i'd have raise called this hand before I even see the board is paired!  WE HAZ FRUSH
    Posted by beaneh
    would you call if he shoves all-in after you raise?
    also what is the correct amount to raise here? id prob make it around £55 is that not enough??
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call or raise? : i'm not as big a nit as you !!! i'd have raise called this hand before I even see the board is paired!  WE HAZ FRUSH
    Posted by beaneh
    I do bluff.....sometimes.
  • edited May 2010
    why would you ever just call this i don't get it
  • edited May 2010
    in Response to Re: Call or raise? : would you call if he shoves all-in after you raise? also what is the correct amount to raise here? id prob make it around £55 is that not enough??
    Posted by Eagle26

There is no 'correct' answer. We know nothing about this villain or how he views us. In general I would be raising pretty big and calling a shove, i've had people shove such stupid hands that unless I know he has a brain I wouldn't be folding. 

There is no decision here we must raise otherwise we'd have some sick reads we would have been told about already.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call or raise? : I do bluff.....sometimes.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    Bluff.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call or raise? : Bluff.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Good read MN (mbn :p )
  • ybyb
    edited May 2010
    Ok so the general consensus is this is definitely a raise. Unfortunately i was a nit and just flat called :(
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    safasall06 Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £488.71
    mrscruff34 Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £134.95
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • K

Randy76 Fold        
    stien Fold        
    yb Raise   £4.00 £5.50 £187.72
    thedog29 Fold        
    safasall06 Call   £3.50 £9.00 £485.21
    mrscruff34 Fold        
    Flop

safasall06 Check        
    yb Bet   £6.00 £15.00 £181.72
    safasall06 Call   £6.00 £21.00 £479.21
    Turn

safasall06 Bet   £9.00 £30.00 £470.21
    yb Call   £9.00 £39.00 £172.72
    River

safasall06 Bet   £23.00 £62.00 £447.21
    yb Call   £23.00 £85.00 £149.72
    safasall06 Show

yb Show
    • J
    • K

yb Win Flush to the King £83.20   £232.92
    So basically I missed out on loads of value here. Fwiw I thought there was a decent chance he was slowplaying a set on the flop, then sped up on the turn when he saw a potential scare card. Also the river bet was the first time in the whole session that I saw him put a decent sized bet in (as opposed to normally just min betting / min raising etc), but I guess even then I was beating so much of his value range that I should still be raising this then re-evaluate if he shoves.

Fwiw betting (especially raising) for value on the river is one particular area where I can improve a lot imo.
  • edited May 2010
    I seem to recall hearing someone say that one of the things that sets the Ivey's of this world apart from the rest of us is the ability to make thin bets/raises on the river and get value that us mortals don't get.
    It is certainly one of many things that sets him apart from me.
  • edited May 2010
    yeah, this is one of my biggest problems / leaks. Getting value.  When the pot is big enough , I find myself checking when I should be betting.  tptk type hands oop, when you just know they have it with worse kicker but i check anyway knowing they would call ma half - 3/4 bet
  • edited May 2010

Raise for value...fold to reraise as villian's passive.