You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Am I a Poker Player....... or a Mouse

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
Here is the situation.  I have been trying to manage my bank roll by ensuring i don't sit at a table that takes more than 5% of my BR.  Here's my problem.

Whilst I am at my current level, I'm enjoying pretty good success.  I'm plugging away on DYM. winning between 80 & 90% of the games I play.  However Once my Bank Roll has grown enough to let me move up a level,  I come crashing down.

My issue is this..... I want to get better at this game, but at the same time I don't want to just throw away my hard earned winnings.  Should I just stick to the level I win at and grind up the BR or should I risk losing but hopefully improve my game by playing against better players at the higher level 

Arrraggghh   All comments will be appreciated

Comments

• edited May 2010

When moving up the levels, loads of things that can happen.

You assume the standard will be higher - is it really?

The money/buy in intimidates you? - should it? - Thats the whole idea of having a bankroll after all? - to cope with losing......

A losing run at the level above, hurts more that it wud at the previous level. You have losing runs at all levels, have you got the faith to back yourself to come through it at this higher level, as you would at the lower level?

U feel the 'need to play differently' - as ure playing "better players" - do u need to?

If you dont feel comfortable playing higher then don't. But you never will, until you settle in, play it over a period of time and come to terms with the different players/play etc.

Im very much the same in cash, im a super bankroll nit - like u wouldnt believe. I guess it all comes down to how much you believe in yourself and your game.

I guess its a catch 22 - speculate to accumulate?

GL, DOHH
  • edited May 2010
    Well Jock

There is only 1 m0u5e on here, so u r ok :)
  • edited May 2010

hi jock ,
                 why not try every 2nd game till you get used to the new level .

example :  say you play £ 5 dym

1st game  £ 5 dym

2nd game  £ 10 dym

3rd game  £ 5 dym 

4th game  £ 10dym

as so on ................

gl on the felt !

• edited May 2010
    Just because the level is higher does not necessarily mean that the players are better, they've just got more money.

However, if you don't feel confident at that level, stick to what you know. Moving up just because BRM rules tell you that you "should" be playing a higher level could be a recipe for disaster.  A losing run at the higher level could knock your confidence so badly that you may not be able to win at any level.

Anyway, what do I know, I've got the bankroll management skills of Gordon Brown after a night on the pish ;o)

• edited May 2010
    Great advice Dohhhhhh....I just had same thing, EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!
    I found I played differently even when I didn't think I was, I got my hubby to watch me who called me a donkey a few times and then i realised what i was doing - I was getting confused asuming people were on better hands or were trying to bully me around and it did affect how I played. I'm just trying to practice and take notice of when I feel like I'm doing something different. I understand why you feel stuck Jock as i went up and back down 4 times in a month! lol
    Try to play your normal way and just be confident in your skills, if your not enjoying it then just drop down for a little bit to get your confidence back or even just observe the tables a few times. I figured I wasn't enjoying certain levels when I started putting housework before poker! SCAREY!!!
    good luck and cu on the tables x
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Am I a Poker Player....... or a Mouse:
    Well Jock There is only 1 m0u5e on here, so u r ok :)
    Posted by acebarry10
    You beat me to it Barry!
  • edited May 2010

Meowwwww!!!!

Regards
    auusie09

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Am I a Poker Player....... or a Mouse:
    In Response to Re: Am I a Poker Player....... or a Mouse : You beat me to it Barry!
    Posted by Machka
    Lol
  • edited May 2010
    ok I'll go get the cheese for Jock & me.....