You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME!

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat

AS IT SAYS ON THE TIN .

KILLING  ME THIS RAKE .

I LOVE THE CASH GAME ,

BUT THE RAKE  ON THESE CASH GAMES MUST BE MAKING SKYPOKER AT LEAST

4 TIMES MORE RAKE THEN A NORMAL HOLDEM CASH GAME .

SO MUCH ACTION WITH THE HIGH HAND AND 8 BELOW [ LOW HAND ]  ALSO WINNING .

SO IS IT JUST ME THAT FEELS THIS WAY ?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    ive nvr played hi/lo but a load of pots are chopped right? so surely its like really difficult to beat the rake??
  • edited May 2010
    you should see the flopwit stupid heads up cash games-- two people sit down with 20 quid each--- 10 minutes later theres only 30 quid left on the table!!--20 minutes later they only have a tenner each--whats the flupwit point of playing these games at all is what I'd like to know---- fikkies imo!!
  • edited May 2010
    Irish I think I love you :)

This has been the only criticism that I have with the game - tbh I don't fully understand the game - but I do understand the rake will kill you - surely at the higher level this is even worse - I was frustrated and it was only 2p/4p lol

Great thread once again Den!!
  • edited May 2010
    ive been playing 2p/4p and totally agree the rake was killing me, had one of the winning hands most times i got involved but because someone else had the other was winning but losing every pot.

I then went and played 10p/20p only sat down with £8 as its out of my bankroll (sorry know how much you guys hate that) played for around an hour and really didnt notice the rake so much for some reason, maybe it was just because i had a winning session stood with about £26, it just really stood out to me more on the lower stakes
  • edited May 2010
    Try not to get involved in pots where it's likely you will split or even quarter.
  • edited May 2010
    would love the rake to be lower for omaha hi/lo please

any chance?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME!:
    would love the rake to be lower for omaha hi/lo please any chance?
    Posted by huuuuume
    The rake should obviously be halved if there is a split-pot as full rake makes the game nigh on unbeatable
  • edited May 2010

I agree IRISHROVER, played for the first time 2/4p yesterday and was very surprised how much rake was taken.
    I enjoyed the game but wont be playing too much of it while the rake remains like this.

• edited May 2010
    Try not to get involved in pots where it's likely you will split or even quarter.
    Posted by Machka
    Aaron is talking complete sense.  For once :-)

You should be playing to scoop the pot.  Don't play for half, unless you're in a multi-way pot and confident that you're guaranteed 50% of what's in the middle (i.e. you have the nut high / low hand).

I've played O8 live in Vegas - where the rake is 10%!  You can only make a profit in this game if you play to win the high hand AND the low hand.

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME! : Aaron is talking complete sense.  For once :-) You should be playing to scoop the pot.  Don't play for half, unless you're in a multi-way pot and confident that you're guaranteed 50% of what's in the middle (i.e. you have the nut high / low hand). I've played O8 live in Vegas - where the rake is 10%!  You can only make a profit in this game if you play to win the high hand AND the low hand.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    You're not guaranteed 50% when you have the nut high or low hand - definitely not with the nut low hand where splits are quite common.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME! : You're not guaranteed 50% when you have the nut high or low hand - definitely not with the nut low hand where splits are quite common.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Sigh.  Pedant :-)

Allow me to re-phrase...

You have the nut high / low hand - and you're convinced none of your opponents is playing snap!

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME! : Sigh.  Pedant :-) Allow me to re-phrase... You have the nut high / low hand - and you're convinced none of your opponents is playing snap!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Sorry, I don't believe that is being pedantic.

It's a crucial aspect of PLO8 where people lose money by playing with the nut low and getting less than 50% of the pot in a multi-way showdown.
    The nut high often gets 50% of the pot while 2 or more players split the low pot.
    It is good tactics to play the high hand aggressively in situations where you believe this to be the case.

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME! : Sorry, I don't believe that is being pedantic. It's a crucial aspect of PLO8 where people lose money by playing with the nut low and getting less than 50% of the pot in a multi-way showdown. The nut high often gets 50% of the pot while 2 or more players split the low pot. It is good tactics to play the high hand aggressively in situations where you believe this to be the case.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Yes, I agree.  Sound advice.

And I know you weren't being pedantic, Vince.  Hence the smiley face!

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME! : Yes, I agree.  Sound advice. And I know you weren't being pedantic, Vince.  Hence the smiley face!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    My apologies - I missed the smiley face.
    Any chance of "proper" emoticons being implemented for old duffers like me?   ;-)))

• edited May 2010
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, hold on a minute, can we rewind 6 posts.  Did James compliment me?

Must be a relapse of flea trap fever.
  • edited May 2010
    i do think it would be very hard to show a profit from this with no rake back, do any other sites lower the rake for hi/low? i asume not. 
    i had a look into a few sites a few weeks ago and seen some have a very high rake cap of 3.5 euro whist others have a cap of $0.50.
    im new to high low so i play far too many hands but so is everyone on here, maybe lower the rake to a 10p max for a few months to get people playing it, also do the same with omaha as it is yet to take off, i played a bit of HU omaha around christmas and you couldnt beat the rake playing 25p/50p, so have not played any HU plo since.
    anyone know what happend to the idea on a £4 allin omaha table with smaller rake?
  • edited May 2010
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, hold on a minute, can we rewind 6 posts.  Did James compliment me? Must be a relapse of flea trap fever.
    Posted by Machka
    Sigh, will you stop letting your imagination get the better of you ;)
  • edited May 2010
    rake on this site is a flopwit rip off!!!---full stop!
  • edited May 2010
    rake on this site is a flopwit rip off!!!---full stop!
    Posted by oynutter
    a few sites (famous player with nuckle dusters) was caped at 3.5 euro and im sure a few will be far greater, skys rake cap is sort of in the middle.
  • edited May 2010
    yeh--right in the middle-between flopwit rip off and flupwit rip off!!!
  • edited May 2010
    yeh--right in the middle-between flopwit rip off and flupwit rip off!!!
    Posted by oynutter
    Ill-advised GTFO, I'll give you an an ill-advised piece of my mind regarding this on Saturday :)
  • edited May 2010

The Rake in Hi-lo on Sky Poker is identical to the rake in any other game - not more, not less. The same.

More people pay it, more often, because there are a lot "splits". In a "split", both pots contribute HALF of the total rake.

The TOTAL rake is paid is identical to all other poker variants.

The idea of Omaha Hi-Lo is to engineer, & only play for, "scoops". If we set out to play every hand, & hope for regular splits, we WILL lose money at the game, because we are playing it wrong.

In fact, in many, if not most, "splits", we should still make a profit overall, after rake, because in the early stages of the hand, there were 3, 4, 5 or even 6 players involved, & we are also spliitting their contribution to the pot.

And the real skill in Hi-Lo is to get a lock on one end - say the High hand - AND keep as many other players in the hand all chasing the Low hand. If we get to the end 4 way, 3 are sharing the lo, & we have the high, we are in easy street.

I alluded to this matter in a Blog I penned yesterday, which is HERE
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME! : My apologies - I missed the smiley face. Any chance of "proper" emoticons being implemented for old duffers like me?   ;-)))
    Posted by MereNovice

yep they're coming. hopefully late summer along with a few other community developments.

You wouldn't believe the technical headaches that 'emotions' caused during the build of the community (thus their omission).

cheers
  • edited May 2010
    Played 2/4p hi-lo again yesterday and showed a small profit. Didnt notice the rake as much as I was more selective with my starting hands instead of playing every hand as I had done in my 1st session. Really enjoyed the game, even managed to scoop a few pots!
  • edited May 2010
    Played 2/4p hi-lo again yesterday and showed a small profit. Didnt notice the rake as much as I was more selective with my starting hands instead of playing every hand as I had done in my 1st session. Really enjoyed the game, even managed to scoop a few pots!
    Posted by MADMOO
    Very well done Moo!

It's a beautiful game, & the skill differential between those who understand how it works, & those who do not, is huge.

As you say, "starting hand range" is VERY important, as we are trying to scoopio.

I do find it rather sad, truth to tell, to see every player call to see every hand, because they are simply burning money - & then they blame Sky Poker for the rake incurred in split pots!

The world has gone mad, I tell ya.

If you have any questions on Hi-Lo, Moo, just ask, please, either via the "Ask tikay" thread, or in the Poker Clinic. There are plenty of good Omaha & Hi-Lo players on here, & all of them are good guys, keen to help others share their enjoyment of the beautiful game.
  • edited May 2010
    I personally find it better to play the mtt's in these, no rake and only a small price to play to learn the game properly. Whilst learning this new format people are going to make loads of mistakes which is fine because your learning - hence why I believe it would be better to learn in mtt's. More runners we get in these the more everyone will improve and inevitably the rake may not be such an issue in the future :)
  • edited May 2010
    oIn Response to Re: HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME!:
    In Response to Re: HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME! : Very well done Moo! It's a beautiful game, & the skill differential between those who understand how it works, & those who do not, is huge. As you say, "starting hand range" is VERY important, as we are trying to scoopio. I do find it rather sad, truth to tell, to see every player call to see every hand, because they are simply burning money - & then they blame Sky Poker for the rake incurred in split pots! The world has gone mad, I tell ya. If you have any questions on Hi-Lo, Moo, just ask, please, either via the "Ask tikay" thread, or in the Poker Clinic. There are plenty of good Omaha & Hi-Lo players on here, & all of them are good guys, keen to help others share their enjoyment of the beautiful game.
    Posted by Tikay10

ok ty tk i will try out your advice later !

• edited May 2010
    I personally find it better to play the mtt's in these, no rake and only a small price to play to learn the game properly. Whilst learning this new format people are going to make loads of mistakes which is fine because your learning - hence why I believe it would be better to learn in mtt's. More runners we get in these the more everyone will improve and inevitably the rake may not be such an issue in the future :)
    Posted by dylan12
    excellent advice m8y !

• edited May 2010
    Posted by dylan12
    Thanks Dyl.

As you know I try to have "Hi-Lo Tourney" evenings, spanning all buy-ins, from £1.10 to £11, & we get quite good numbers in these - up to 30+ in some of them. The other evening I  promoted & play in six of them, & we got over 100 runners in total.

The evening was huge fun, & despite the fact that in Omaha we see a lot of brutal beats - it's the nature of the game, there was no "I'm so unlucky" whingeing at all.  

Hi-Lo is very different, & if played properly, we should NEVER go to Showdown without at least the nuts at ONE END. So we are always going to get something.

I played a £5 Hi-Lo Heads-Up Tourney yesterday (which I lost) just to try it out, & with 2,000 starting chips, we were at 300-600 before it finished - simply because of the nature of the game means we are splitting a lot of pots. Hard to imagine more bangs per buck for a fiver, to be honest.

I'll be doing more Hi-Lo Tourney evenings as & when time permits, & I hope others join in the fun. They don't know what they are missing!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: HI/LO OMAHA CASH GAMES / THIS RAKE IS KILLING ME! : Very well done Moo! It's a beautiful game, & the skill differential between those who understand how it works, & those who do not, is huge. As you say, "starting hand range" is VERY important, as we are trying to scoopio. I do find it rather sad, truth to tell, to see every player call to see every hand, because they are simply burning money - & then they blame Sky Poker for the rake incurred in split pots!The world has gone mad, I tell ya. If you have any questions on Hi-Lo, Moo, just ask, please, either via the "Ask tikay" thread, or in the Poker Clinic. There are plenty of good Omaha & Hi-Lo players on here, & all of them are good guys, keen to help others share their enjoyment of the beautiful game.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Guilty!!!! sorry about that :)
    I did play in 1 of the tourneys the other night (£1.10) and agree with Dylan it was a cheap way to help learn the game. It was interesting to watch the better players and what starting hands they played, did help me find the fold button x