You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New Player tips....

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi there, as a fairly new player on this site and to game in general... im looking for some advice on how to improve and rise up the blind levels as quickly as possible, is it just all down to playing experience? reading books? live play? be gratefull for any guidance..thanks..

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Hi

Welcome to Sky Poker and the Forum.

Bankroll Management, never play with more than you can afford, it is accepted that you dont risk more than 5% of you Bankroll, playing with "Scared Money" leads to trouble
  • edited May 2010
    Hey Jonny..

- MORNING BARRY! x

Yup Barry is right. BR management is PARAMOUNT!! (Take it from someone who learnt the hard way and is still learning!)

Also you might like to check out the 'Poker School' videos on the site and watch the live shows on channel 865 whenever possible on Weds, Thurs, Sat and Sun (these are repeated throughout the day if you miss any) for more hints and tips from our wonderful analysts.

Plus there is a lot of advice around the forum and in the Blogs on Cash, Tourney, S&G and Omaha play.

There is a lot of debate about whether books are helpful and certainly nothing can substitute for real play but I believe that every little helps and I really enjoyed Harrington on Hold 'em 1 & 2. But as I said there is a lot of info on and around this site from many of our players who I am sure you will find are amongst the most generous (in nature, not with their chips!) and friendly players on any poker site. Ever. Fact.

Good luck and welcome to Sky Poker! 

Lisa-Marie x
  • edited May 2010
    hiya mate,

As baz and lisa have said dont be looking to try move up the levels two quickly stick to some type of bankroll management if you want to move up this is the most important thing! the 5% rule is the most popular as baz has already explained.

At the micro levels stick to basic abc poker, dont try bluff to much. stick to playing your big hands strongly at first.

also posting hands on the poker clinic will help alot as you will get alot of advice of what you did wrong and how how you can play it next time. 

Books can be very helpful there is a thread on poker books on here somewhere which might give you a few ideas on what books are good. be careful what books you read though some may be to advanced and could just confuse you more than help.

Nothing imho opinion beats experience, just remember dont try rush up the levels take it slowly build your game and bankroll and take a shot at the higher level when your beating the previous and constantly grinding a profit. if you try to rush it you will end up bust you may win first few days/weeks  but eventually it will catch up with you.

Gl on the tables mate and welcome to the forum :)
  • edited May 2010
     MORNING BARRY, Morning LM
  • edited May 2010
    No morning rob? i see how it is :(
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: New Player tips....:
    No morning rob? i see how it is :(
    Posted by robc
    Lol, Morning rob
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you Barry.  Good morning :-)
  • edited May 2010
    Hey Jonny.. - MORNING BARRY! x Yup Barry is right. BR management is PARAMOUNT!! (Take it from someone who learnt the hard way and is still learning!) Also you might like to check out the 'Poker School' videos on the site and watch the live shows on channel 865 whenever possible on Weds, Thurs, Sat and Sun (these are repeated throughout the day if you miss any) for more hints and tips from our wonderful analysts. Plus there is a lot of advice around the forum and in the Blogs on Cash, Tourney, S&G and Omaha play. There is a lot of debate about whether books are helpful and certainly nothing can substitute for real play but I believe that every little helps and I really enjoyed Harrington on Hold 'em 1 & 2. But as I said there is a lot of info on and around this site from many of our players who I am sure you will find are amongst the most generous (in nature, not with their chips!) and friendly players on any poker site. Ever. Fact. Good luck and welcome to Sky Poker!  Lisa-Marie x
    Posted by LML
    Listen to the sexy bird she knows what's she is on about. Oh and all her advice on poker is also good correct as well
  • edited May 2010
    Good afternoon?
  • edited May 2010
    stay at the lower stakes

Ignore the Hot-o-meter

Most importantly - Enjoy playing!! if its a grind stop!

• edited May 2010
     I'm newbie to" Jonny 124 and I should'nt be giving advice but have learnt in my short time here "dont drink" while playing Poker. You will tend to think your invincible and "ace two" looks like "ace ace" allin. Be prepared to lose but keep thinking " I'm a Winner."  luvs yeh Annie x    See what's just happened to Acebarry. !!!!!   Not saying you've been drinking Barry. ?
    Posted by logdon
    lol
  • edited May 2010
    Good afternoon?
    Posted by Machka
    Afternoon Aaron
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to New Player tips....:
    Hi there, as a fairly new player on this site and to game in general... im looking for some advice on how to improve and rise up the blind levels as quickly as possible, is it just all down to playing experience? reading books? live play? be gratefull for any guidance..thanks..
    Posted by jonny124
    Hi jonny124 welcome

The first hour of any tourney is the hardest most of the new players will be gone within this time and players that like to call anything. My tips: 1: Do not call anything 2:Wait be patient 3:Try and get past the first hour
    4:if you think the other player has the best hand fold or if you say to yourself QUOTE i bet he has a ?? then fold because he has. Have ago on the double your money (DYM) sit tight only play good hands and if you have none of the flop fold. Good luck
  • edited May 2010
    A wise man once said "you can't win until you're not afraid to lose"

In poker terms, Stick to your bankroll management. Unless you're the Euro millions winner from last week don't start moving up the levels until you're constantly winning at the lower level because if you do you're more likely to be playing with scared money. Playing with scared money is never a good thing because you don't bring your "A" game to the table & you're going to start losing more than you would've at the lower level (hence my opening line).
  • edited May 2010
    Cheers for all the posts guys...oh and gals..lol  is intresting to hear the advice, have only been playin 2p-4p upto now with steady success, and could fund playing at higher level but dont wanna run before i can walk and lose confidence... so ill carry on grinding and go from there...see you all at tables soon!