You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Most Profitable Starting Hands

2»

Comments

• edited May 2010
    A lot of players seem to like a big pair, I much prefer a smaller pair. You don't have to worry so much about the flop, a big pair can go downhill fast once the flop has happened, whilst a small pair will remain firm and playable long after the big pairs have gone down the river. Granted, it can be harder to let go of a big pair, but they will tend to suffocate  if you let them get on top of you. A small pair in the hand might not flop as much, but at least you know  they won't slap you in the face on the turn. It can be quite dangerous trying to suck out on a big pair, whereas, with a nice small pair, you can always see exactly where you are. Big pairs are a lot harder to contain, and you will use a lot more of your valuable energy when you play with them. A small pair is much easier to handle, and you can play with them with one hand while you are busy doing something else with the other.

I once knew a live player that had a lovely big pair, but after the flop she had to give up because only cards and chips were allowed on the table

A nice small pair is your friend, hang on to them I say!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Most Profitable Starting Hands:
    A lot of players seem to like a big pair, I much prefer a smaller pair. You don't have to worry so much about the flop, a big pair can go downhill fast once the flop has happened, whilst a small pair will remain firm and playable long after the big pairs have gone down the river. Granted, it can be harder to let go of a big pair, but they will tend to suffocate  if you let them get on top of you. A small pair in the hand might not flop as much, but at least you know  they won't slap you in the face on the turn. It can be quite dangerous trying to suck out on a big pair, whereas, with a nice small pair, you can always see exactly where you are. Big pairs are a lot harder to contain, and you will use a lot more of your valuable energy when you play with them. A small pair is much easier to handle, and you can play with them with one hand while you are busy doing something else with the other.  I once knew a live player that had a lovely big pair, but after the flop she had to give up because only cards and chips were allowed on the table A nice small pair is your friend, hang on to them I say!
    Posted by oynutter

LMAO very true
  • edited May 2010
    Shakes head in despair.

I thought wow this post is back on the first page, whats going on there, then I saw who had posted, and I had visions of what to expect, and all I can say is Nutter you didnt disapoint.

excellent couple of posts brought a smile to my face

One question with the 2-j off, do you splash the pot much

and also what do you do if someone else has the nuts, do you give them a mouthful for inappropriate play ?

Aski (Col)
  • edited May 2010
    Shakes head in despair. I thought wow this post is back on the first page, whats going on there, then I saw who had posted, and I had visions of what to expect, and all I can say is Nutter you didnt disapoint. excellent couple of posts brought a smile to my face One question with the 2-j off, do you splash the pot much and also what do you do if someone else has the nuts, do you give them a mouthful for inappropriate play ? Aski (Col)
    Posted by Aski
    Cor blimey aski, you really must learn to read between the lines, when you have 2-J off, you are thinking outside the box, you know how rude it is to splash the pot, which is why I said the hand can get a bit messy, I mean, just imagine trying it when someone is utg!!--Use the hand properly man!-- If you have someone covered, there will be a lot more than facial expressions to worry about, I can tell you!---NEVER DO IT!---COME ON MAN!!
  • edited May 2010

Pocket KKs..my fav pair
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Most Profitable Starting Hands : Cor blimey aski, you really must learn to read between the lines, when you have 2-J off, you are thinking outside the box, you know how rude it is to splash the pot, which is why I said the hand can get a bit messy, I mean, just imagine trying it when someone is utg!!--Use the hand properly man!-- If you have someone covered, there will be a lot more than facial expressions to worry about, I can tell you!---NEVER DO IT!---COME ON MAN!!
    Posted by oynutter
    I'd rather not if you dont mind Nutter ;)