You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Im a beginner

edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
Hello,
I've just played my first ever poker hands and i wonder if there are some things i should be learning to start with.
My husband is mr-mbro and he helped my lose £2 on my first session of cash 2/4p.
When he tries to help me he goes into coaching mode(which i hate), and i switch off to what he says.
He said the guy that took my money was a nutter who was gambling a lot of the time and in my hand he 56 and the flop cam 2/10/9 all different suits, as 1 had ace/10 same suit, Colin said i should bet so i bet 12p and he called then a 5 came so i bet 16p then another 5 came he went all for £9 and Col said to call for my total amount as he had been doing this with nothing, then i lost.
Was Colin wrong?, and should i listen to him a bit more.
Thank You
Ann

Comments

• edited August 2009

Never listen to Col.

PS - Good Luck!
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Im a beginner:
    Never listen to Col. PS - Good Luck!
    Posted by Tikay10
    OH THANKS Tony,
    Make my job harder why dont you.
    col
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Im a beginner : OH THANKS Tony, Make my job harder why dont you. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Destroy the "sleepy tikay" photos, & I'll be nice......
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Im a beginner : Destroy the "sleepy tikay" photos, & I'll be nice......
    Posted by Tikay10
    I cant get them off my phone any how, buuuut if i can then, well you know what will happen lol
    col
    anyhow this isnt about me its about Ann.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Im a beginner:
    Hello, I've just played my first ever poker hands and i wonder if there are some things i should be learning to start with. My husband is mr-mbro and he helped my lose £2 on my first session of cash 2/4p. When he tries to help me he goes into coaching mode(which i hate), and i switch off to what he says. He said the guy that took my money was a nutter who was gambling a lot of the time and in my hand he 56 and the flop cam 2/10/9 all different suits, as 1 had ace/10 same suit, Colin said i should bet so i bet 12p and he called then a 5 came so i bet 16p then another 5 came he went all for £9 and Col said to call for my total amount as he had been doing this with nothing, then i lost. Was Colin wrong?, and should i listen to him a bit more. Thank You Ann
    Posted by Areader

Hi Ann

Well first things first, welcome to Sky Poker and our lovely little community.

Let it be known that we have had our first engagement; I don’t want this to begin to be our first divorce ;)

You will find that as Col says, there are players out there who play loosely and pretty much call with what we call air (rubbish) in the hope that they hit, and sometimes, unfortunately they will.

Ok let’s have a look at your hand, you had A 10 suited and you were told to raise and you were called, the flop went 2 9 10 rainbow (we use this term to mean different colour cards) this gives you a pair of 10,s with the best kicker (A kicker is you second card that did not hit in this case the Ace) and, you were probably in front, you were advised to bet which was 12p you were called an the forth card (the turn) came a 5, you again bet with 16p, you were raised “all in” and you called and he hit trip 5,s on the river.

As you can see at most stages of this hand you were well in front, I have a feeling even if you had bet more he may well have gone all in, or even called an “all in”

There is nothing you can do about it, Colin is right.

Give it time, you will teach yourself who these players are and be able to alter your play accordingly, listen to Colin and watch Channel 865 you will pick up plenty of useful tips on how to become better than Colin ;) SORRY COLIN LOL

Hope this helps

Good luck in you Poker journey

• edited August 2009

Oh yeh, trust tikay to start driving the wedge in early LOLOLOLOL

By the way Ann tikay is out bestest analystststs on Sky

• edited August 2009
    In Response to Im a beginner : Hi Ann   Well first things first, welcome to Sky Poker and our lovely little community.   Let it be known that we have had our first engagement; I don’t want this to begin to be our first divorce ;)   You will find that as Col says, there are players out there who play loosely and pretty much call with what we call air (rubbish) in the hope that they hit, and sometimes, unfortunately they will.   Ok let’s have a look at your hand, you had A 10 suited and you were told to raise and you were called, the flop went 2 9 10 rainbow (we use this term to mean different colour cards) this gives you a pair of 10,s with the best kicker (A kicker is you second card that did not hit in this case the Ace) and, you were probably in front, you were advised to bet which was 12p you were called an the forth card (the turn) came a 5, you again bet with 16p, you were raised “all in” and you called and he hit trip 5,s on the river.   As you can see at most stages of this hand you were well in front, I have a feeling even if you had bet more he may well have gone all in, or even called an “all in” There is nothing you can do about it, Colin is right.   Give it time, you will teach yourself who these players are and be able to alter your play accordingly, listen to Colin and watch Channel 865 you will pick up plenty of useful tips on how to become better than Colin ;) SORRY COLIN LOL   Hope this helps   Good luck in you Poker journey    
    Posted by acebarry10
    Hi Baz,
    Thanks for that m8, i've got a feeling i'm going to get a few kickings on here now lol.
    Ann's gone out but i'll make sure she replies to these post when she returns.
    col
  • edited August 2009
    Better than Colin, now now, thats not fair is it. Give it till Tuesday at least Ann then you might be better than him lol.
  • edited August 2009

Frankly, I don't know what Ann sees in him.
  • edited August 2009
    MEEOOWWW, Tony, that was below the belt. Very funny though lol.
  • edited August 2009
    Frankly, I don't know what Ann sees in him.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I wonder if tikay and Angell are sharing personalities ????????????
  • edited August 2009

Hi and welcome to the community,

It's a pretty bad hand you described, its just one the them things where people do not care about the money and wish to see all 5 cards, they lucked out ALOT. This will happen from time to time and when these occasions happen we must simply say 'next time I'll bet even heavier if you call anything and take you to the cleaners'.

To get the jist of things I would suggest playing some cheaper S'n'Gs / MTTs as cash can be quite an expensive way to learn poker. (Even at 2p/4p you can lose £20 in an hour) Also do not be too downhearted if you are not winning straight away, I found that in my first couple of months I was a 'losing' player while I was stil learning from mistakes.
    Try and watch the show on 865, this is where I picked up a lot on my game, and even now I'm learning new things.

Nick.

• edited August 2009
    You played the hand fine.  No one could put him on a 5 there and IMO his line indicated a busted straight draw.

I would suggest that you play some of the smaller stakes Sit and Go tables as you can easily get an hours practice and learning experience for £1 or so PLUS you can actually win some moniez too! :)

Also play the freerolls too.

Learn how to play ABC poker, with advice from your husband, but once you start feeling more confident then ignore his advice and play the hands yourself.

The only way to get better is to a) play loads of hands and b) learn from your mistakes.

Good luck :)
  • edited August 2009
    Hello Everyone,
    Thank you for your answers Scotty77and Ncolley, I'll take on board your advice.
    Acebarry10, it helps when someone breaks things down for beginner so thanks.
    Tikay10, after 25 years with him i cant remember what i see in him either, oh Yes it was his bum, although its a bit bigger now, but in the right light i still think hmm yes(or is that the drink talking).
    Thank you all
    ANN
  • edited August 2009
    Hi Ann,

I just want to say that everytime David (Grimstar30) has given me advice on a hand I've lost! Maybe the men don't know better after all... I play completely different to David now and I'm doing better than him (he may dispute this to save face) and also by not asking his advice it's saved us a lot of arguments!

Alana
  • edited August 2009
    Hi Ann, I just want to say that everytime David (Grimstar30) has given me advice on a hand I've lost! Maybe the men don't know better after all... I play completely different to David now and I'm doing better than him (he may dispute this to save face) and also by not asking his advice it's saved us a lot of arguments! Alana
    Posted by Eliniki22
    Hi Alana,
    I am a real novice so i am going to let him to go through the basics a few times and when i get to grips with them then i will probably do like yourself.
    We have not had an argument for ages and after 25 years I know how to handle him.
    Thanks Ann
  • edited August 2009
    [my advise is take the advise your given
    nick was bang on the money there so take the advise + use it
    patience aggression 2 key words gl see u soon
  • edited August 2009
    A.....How did Dave get on in that P-stars freeroll last night?

I played it too. Please tell me I finished higher than him..... (1330 out of 10480 - won $12 for my sins, went out to quad aces!).

Mike
  • edited August 2009
    Hi Ann seeing as us men get it wrong you need to hire a woman poker coach hire mich orpe don't worry about here loss in the epic head up game with rich he got lucky ;-)