You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live cash

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
I know of some card rooms that start cash at, say, £1/£1.  What is the difference in these games where there are effectively two big blinds (one imagines, I may be completely wrong).  Should one be defending from the blinds more often?  Would you recommend playing these games?

The same questions apply for, say, £1/£3, which I have seen soemtimes.

Comments

• edited May 2010

Hi Mr Willhelm,

I never play Hold Em cash "Live", so I cant help much. I'm afraid.

But I do play a fair bit of Live DC, where the Blinds are almost always the same (Big & Small), being £2-£2, £5-£5, or £10-£10.

In most cases, it is played "on the Button" - that is to say, the BUTTON posts one Blind, & the player to their left Posts the same size blind, which is very different, of course, to the now-almost universal practice Online, & in NLHE, of the Blinds being "off" (to the left) of the Button.

What it means in DC games is that the Button is a very powerful seat indeed, especially given the nature of many of the DC variants.

As to regular NLHE Buttons & Blinds, all I can say is what I have always thought & believed. More money is lost defending Blinds than any other way. Defending with marginals OOP just makes no sense whatsoever to me, unless the player is extremely talented. But I'm swimming against the tide on that one, I'm afraid, & has always been the case. You pays your money & you takes your choice. ;) 
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Live cash:
    Hi Mr Willhelm, I never play Hold Em cash "Live", so I cant help much. I'm afraid. But I do play a fair bit of Live DC, where the Blinds are almost always the same (Big & Small), being £2-£2, £5-£5, or £10-£10. In most cases, it is played "on the Button" - that is to say, the BUTTON posts one Blind, & the player to their left Posts the same size blind, which is very different, of course, to the now-almost universal practice Online, & in NLHE, of the Blinds being "off" (to the left) of the Button. What it means in DC games is that the Button is a very powerful seat indeed, especially given the nature of many of the DC variants. As to regular NLHE Buttons & Blinds, all I can say is what I have always thought & believed. More money is lost defending Blinds than any other way. Defending with marginals OOP just makes no sense whatsoever to me, unless the player is extremely talented. But I'm swimming against the tide on that one, I'm afraid, & has always been the case. You pays your money & you takes your choice. ;) 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Tikay, but this poses another question:

What is DC?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Live cash : Thanks Tikay, but this poses another question: What is DC?
    Posted by Wilhelm
    I'm obviously not Tikay but I hope that this will suffice.

DC is Dealer's Choice.

See here for much more information.

• edited May 2010

My apologies.

"DC" is "Dealers Choice".

It's only played "Live". The player on the Button gets to choose the game from a pre-agreed list of variants.

The list usually includes the following. (Texas Hold Em IS usually on the List, but anyone who selects it is promptly shot).

4 Omaha High.

5, 6 or 7 card Omaha High, depending upon how many players are seated. Clearly, you can't play 6 card Omaha on an 8 seater Table. DC is almost always 8 seat max.

Omaha Hi-Lo, same options as Omaha high. 6 card Hi-Lo is the ultimate in "Nuts only" games.

7 card Stud.

Hi-Lo Stud

Super-Stud. (My game of choice, followed by Hi-Lo Omaha then Stud).

Razz

Lowball

3, 4, 5 or 6 card Irish.

Pineapple.

Paduki.

Some of those games have massive variance, & are brutal. Whatever you have in front of you on the Table WILL end up in the middle quite soon, in one pot.

I'm addicted to DC!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Live cash : I'm obviously not Tikay but I hope that this will suffice. DC is Dealer's Choice. See here for much more information.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Wish I'd seen that before replying, Vince! Nice one, thanks.

PS - Reply more quickly next time. ;)
  • edited May 2010

played dealers choice past few nights for the first time recently in newcastle tk and it is very very fun. James browning was playing and apparently is a reg in the game. Main games people choosed where omaha varients and irish...wasnt particlulary sure of hand values preflop when playing 5/6 card omaha but decided to keep raising lots and pretend like i know what i was doing. Turned out it was 5/5 not 1/2 2nd night and lost a stack pretty quickly :D

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Live cash:
    I know of some card rooms that start cash at, say, £1/£1.  What is the difference in these games where there are effectively two big blinds (one imagines, I may be completely wrong).  Should one be defending from the blinds more often?  Would you recommend playing these games? The same questions apply for, say, £1/£3, which I have seen soemtimes.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Depends on the table.

Live tho generally just play tight.  Its harder to do that cos of the boredom.

The blind levels do change things slightly than if it were .50/1 or 1/2 but if you are only playing casually you don't need to worry about things like that. 

Once you get more used to the  live games then you can start 3betting light/defending with no hand to outplay flops etc.
  • edited May 2010
    I think in Live poker you are playing the players and position more heavily then defending blinds
    I play mainly 10 handed and I really can not remember the last time It was folded round to the small blind
    The thing with live play is people have gone there to play cards and they are gonna play cards so money is usually going into the middle on every hand.

Not really sure as to the same blinds but it works well for Pot limit

Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Live cash : Once you get more used to the  live games then you can start 3betting light/defending with no hand to outplay flops etc.
    Posted by scotty77
    Interesting you say that, because my instinct would say that this happens more online than it does live, but when I think about how I play live cash (vs how I play online cash) I 3-bet much lighter and religously defend my straddle with ATC live. Whereas on the internet I rarely 3-bet with anything short of a premium hand and never defend my BB with T5 off :S 
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Live cash : Interesting you say that, because my instinct would say that this happens more online than it does live, but when I think about how I play live cash (vs how I play online cash) I 3-bet much lighter and religously defend my straddle with ATC live. Whereas on the internet I rarely 3-bet with anything short of a premium hand and never defend my BB with T5 off :S 
    Posted by YoungUn

Surly Religously is not a good term to use, if you play the same, players will pick this up inside the 1st hour
    Ok if your advertising but will be crushed over an evening.

Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Live cash : Interesting you say that, because my instinct would say that this happens more online than it does live, but when I think about how I play live cash (vs how I play online cash) I 3-bet much lighter and religously defend my straddle with ATC live. Whereas on the internet I rarely 3-bet with anything short of a premium hand and never defend my BB with T5 off :S 
    Posted by YoungUn
    because online you can load up more tables/its faster so you can easily fold T5o.

if you haven't seen a picture in 45 mins then T5o in the BB becomes v attractive....also you see how light people stack off live then you think 1 pr will be good.

and it all depends on the game.  live you can make up with a lot more hands than you can online simply because of the amount of people will be in the pot.  stuff like K9o is more playable.

try 3betting live too, with hands like TJhh etc, but pick your spots very carefully.  also make sure you make the raise big as once one calls then it dominos.  if you get thru the original PFR then you will probably take it down.
  • edited May 2010
    defend my straddle with ATC live

oh and raising your straddle >>>>>>>> defending it

if you dont know how to play the straddle then don't post it.  its a way of losing money in the long run because you feel committed to whatever junk you are dealt.

if a laggy player raises your straddle, and 4/5 call, then you should be prepared to 3bet him with ATC.  if you aren't then don't post it.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for the shout Scotty. I should really have been a little more specific when I said "defending". I do 3-bet and 4-bet my straddle every now and then, but I definitely just call more often than I should do, so i'll take the point on board.

Apologies for willhelm for taking the spotlight from his thread a little bit, but I guess it's still useful info for him in any case :)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Live cash : because online you can load up more tables/its faster so you can easily fold T5o. if you haven't seen a picture in 45 mins then T5o in the BB becomes v attractive....
    also you see how light people stack off live then you think 1 pr will be good. and it all depends on the game.  live you can make up with a lot more hands than you can online simply because of the amount of people will be in the pot.  stuff like K9o is more playable. try 3betting live too, with hands like TJhh etc, but pick your spots very carefully.  also make sure you make the raise big as once one calls then it dominos.  if you get thru the original PFR then you will probably take it down.
    Posted by scotty77

Absolutely all spot on mate
    A guy the other night had sat there for 3 hours grinding about £500 then blew the lot with J8o on a flop of 6d3d8c
    I knew this was his last hand and put him on an over pair at best if not just a bluff and My AA held up but these players are so common live and you dont really get the same reads/info online.

Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for the shout Scotty. I should really have been a little more specific when I said "defending". I do 3-bet and 4-bet my straddle every now and then, but I definitely just call more often than I should do, so i'll take the point on board. Apologies for willhelm for taking the spotlight from his thread a little bit, but I guess it's still useful info for him in any case :)
    Posted by YoungUn
    Yes, very useful, as I have never played cash live before.