You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Repeatedly letting your hand time out whilst on the bubble - Cheating or Gamesmanship?

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
I've seen this happen many times and from my experience it's more commonly done in satellites. I ask this question because i found myself doing this today in a satellite and even though i wasn't the only one, i did feel a bit guilty about it. What's your take on it?

Comments

• edited May 2010

it's time managment so no i don't think it's cheating. It is simply not getting involved when you have the option not to. There are sites that stop this happening but while this is not a site with hand for hand play then this is within the rules

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Repeatedly letting your hand time out whilst on the bubble - Cheating or Gamesmanship?:
    it's time managment so no i don't think it's cheating. It is simply not getting involved when you have the option not to. There are sites that stop this happening but while this is not a site with hand for hand play then this is within the rules
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    This was pretty much my exact thoughts on it too. It just didn't feel quite right to me.
  • edited May 2010
    It simply can not be described as cheating.
    unethical at worst
    But it is absolutely part of the structure and as such there for people to take advantage of, as it is obvious they are looking to cash rather then take advantage of the situation to push on.

Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000

• edited May 2010
    Common Sense I call it to be honest :)
  • edited May 2010
    Again it goes back to the solution of Sky introducing 'hand for hand' when on the bubble. This makes the using of the timebar irrelevant.
  • edited May 2010

Floppin annoying!!!!

Especially when its the super comfortable stacks doing it!!!

The bubble is he main tim to hoover up chips, I was once sat with the chip leader, 1st/41, who was timing out paying for he bubble.

Do these guys even no what day it is???? cmon!!! - Neway, no not cheating, fully entitled to do it, but its negative IMO - why not take the more positive approach of raise/shoving to get people off their AQ, 99/TT hands?

(wudnt apply in sats obv)

DOHH
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Repeatedly letting your hand time out whilst on the bubble - Cheating or Gamesmanship?:
    Again it goes back to the solution of Sky introducing ' hand for hand'  when on the bubble. This makes the using of the timebar irrelevant.
    Posted by phil12uk
    A big +1
  • edited May 2010
    Again it goes back to the solution of Sky introducing ' hand for hand'  when on the bubble. This makes the using of the timebar irrelevant.
    Posted by phil12uk
    Satalites would be so much better with this, sometimes tournys take an extra half hour to finish because there has been no hand for hand introduced and that 1/2 hour feels like a lifetime, In to this is introduced i doubt i will play any sats.... except the vegas ones as im desperate to go lol.
  • edited May 2010

I have done it, and would do it again!

• edited May 2010
    100% not cheating - completely sensible and you'd have to be dumb not to if short stacked - akin to holding the ball in the corner in stoppage time in a football game - a manager shoots you for not doing it if the lead is precarious!
  • edited May 2010
    part of internet poker
  • edited May 2010
    Hi Guys,

My take on this is if you are in no danger of being the bubble, then why do it, UNLESS you have been taking the maximum time, every hand. If however, you ARE in the danger zone, then it CAN AND IS a valid tactic, when there is no hand for hand in play.

People wont agree with this but you are given an amount of time(however long) on EACH hand to make your decision and if you want to change your tactics in the later stages, then that is your choice.

I believe that the only time anyone really thinks about this tactic negatively is when they are in the bubble position and short stacked.

This game is one where we are trying to beat others in every hand by any means, thats why people trash talk or try to give off false tells, wear sunglasses etc. If delaying your decisions gets someone annoyed it may put them off their game and therefore might make them not play optimally and make mistakes that knock them out

col
  • edited May 2010
    yup without hand for hand its sometimes necessary to slow down, nout wrong with it and not unethical at all, because its an option available to everyone.

a prime example is the old 22 deepstack

often id find myself shortstacked and 3 handed on the bubble! vs 2 big stacks! At this time you usually have to slow down tactically...

one last thing

SKY PLEASE BRING IN HAND FOR HAND! thanks
  • edited May 2010
    It's an annoyannce, but it's within the rules, I voted gamesmanship.

I've done it myself when very short stacked on the bubble a couple of times, obviously hoping somebody else would get knocked out on another table before I'm forced to play a hand. I felt quite guilty at the time, but the goal when playing poker is to win as much money as possible, you have to do what you have to do.

Also I've slowed down my decisions deliberately when there are 7 players left, particularly if there are only 3 players at my table, at that time I'm keen to get to final table without any mishaps. 

I'd have no problem with the introduction hand-to-hand timing system, it works quite well on other sites I've played on. But if there's some numpty who keeps letting his hand time out anyway he can now hold up all the tables, not just his own.
  • edited May 2010
    it's neither of your options. It's a facility open to all players and there's nothing wrong with using the time available. Without hand to hand it will always be a valuable tool.