You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

At what point (if ever) do you call?

edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
This is something that's bugged me for a long time now but I was wondering if there's ever a point you would call pre flop purely for the odds you're getting regardless of anything else or is that just plain stupid in the long term?

A situation I quite often find myself in is when I'm in the small blind and everyone limps in (or similarly in the big blind with a min raise from early position but foe me that's definitely oppo dependant). By the time it gets to me I'm getting like 11/1 just to have a look. Obviously I'm out of position & not gonna hit the flop every time but is any hand really that far behind that it's not worth taking a look?

I'm asking this question pretty much only for cash games although it might also apply to tournies depending on the stage of the game?

Apologies if this seems like a stupid question but I do sometimes feel like it can be a leak in my game.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    In Response to At what point (if ever) do you call?:
    This is something that's bugged me for a long time now but I was wondering if there's ever a point you would call pre flop purely for the odds you're getting regardless of anything else or is that just plain stupid in the long term? A situation I quite often find myself in is when I'm in the small blind and everyone limps in (or similarly in the big blind with a min raise from early position but foe me that's definitely oppo dependant). By the time it gets to me I'm getting like 11/1 just to have a look. Obviously I'm out of position & not gonna hit the flop every time but is any hand really that far behind that it's not worth taking a look? I'm asking this question pretty much only for cash games although it might also apply to tournies depending on the stage of the game? Apologies if this seems like a stupid question but I do sometimes feel like it can be a leak in my game.
    Posted by silentbob
    On a ten seated table, where the BB is not an aggresive player, ill complete nearly any suited cards with 3/4+ limpers. I will complete any two cards IF the BB is STILL not an aggresive player when there are 7+ limps. What you should mainly focus on is post-flop with these marginal holdings; if you hold 94o, and the the flop is A94r, you check, one player leads, one play flats and the button raises, you can confidently fold your hand knowing that in a multiway limped pot, bottom two pair holds little strength.  
  • edited May 2010
    Cheers Coxy. You mentioned about 10 seater tables, what about 6 as that's mainly what I play?

This is assuming that the condition of the BB not being an aggressive player do the same things apply (mainly with things like suited cards rather than any two)?
  • edited May 2010
    I usually call all suited connectors (inlcuding one and two gappers),all pocket pairs, any A,K,Q x suited hands and any two high card hands (usually both broadway cards), probably fold most of the other junk most of the time.

If only one person has limped i am isolation raising to pot with any pair or high card hands.