You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

STT strategy?? dohh!!

edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
k its 180 runner sit n go. 

18 paid, 20 left, blinds 500/1000 - antes as well.

Raiser from mid position to 2k. (19k stack)

Call on the button from the chip leader (29k)

I'm in the small blind, I have 15k and 500 invested. I'm holding Ace Queen of spades.

Im conscious of the bubble, but I'm happy to come over the top of the initial raiser as he has been active pre flop. When the big stack calls on the button, It puts me off a shove, so I call.

So like 7k in the pot with antes, I have 13.5k behind.

Flop comes Ace King 7, with 2 hearts.

I like it, again, I check the action to the initial raiser with the intention of trapping/check raising.

HE SHOVES!

Im still calling.....until the chip leader, (button), Puts all his chips in too.

Now the action is back to me.

3 things- 

• Is it a shove all in pre flop? even tho I hae a relatively comfortable stack, around 10th with 20 remaining?
  • Would you lead the flop, rather than trying to check call.
  • Do you ever fold?
Tourny run has been shocking - not my game, what dya reckon

DOHH

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I like an AIPF, but if I was in your position I would usually just call out of timidness. I'm pretty sure that the AIPF is the best move, though. I never lead that flop, i'm looking to check-shove like you did, and i'm almost definitely folding after the 2 all-ins. I may be ahead but if I am it won't be by much and I can wait for a better spot with the chips I have left.
  • edited May 2010
    The nit part of me is screaming to fold pre. 

It's uber tight but OOP vs 2 players( one of which is happy to raise in mid position) I'm flipping or not far ahead (and probably behind already).  Shove is the other option but so close to bubble. I'm possibly folding and waiting as its a whole orbit before Im posting a blind again.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: STT strategy?? dohh!!:
    I like an AIPF, but if I was in your position I would usually just call out of timidness. I'm pretty sure that the AIPF is the best move, though. I never lead that flop, i'm looking to check-shove like you did, and i'm almost definitely folding after the 2 all-ins. I may be ahead but if I am it won't be by much and I can wait for a better spot with the chips I have left.
    Posted by YoungUn
    +1

I take it this is a game on tilt or stars which are extremely weak on the low level buy-ins, im happy to get all the money in pf and probably get called by both with rag aces.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to STT strategy?? dohh!!:
    k its 180 runner sit n go.  18 paid, 20 left, blinds 500/1000 - antes as well. Raiser from mid position to 2k. (19k stack) Call on the button from the chip leader (29k) I'm in the small blind, I have 15k and 500 invested. I'm holding Ace Queen of spades. Im conscious of the bubble, but I'm happy to come over the top of the initial raiser as he has been active pre flop. When the big stack calls on the button, It puts me off a shove, so I call. So like 7k in the pot with antes, I have 13.5k behind. Flop comes Ace King 7, with 2 hearts. I like it, again, I check the action to the initial raiser with the intention of trapping/check raising. HE SHOVES! Im still calling.....until the chip leader, (button), Puts all his chips in too. Now the action is back to me. 3 things-  Is it a shove all in pre flop? even tho I hae a relatively comfortable stack, around 10th with 20 remaining? Would you lead the flop, rather than trying to check call. Do you ever fold? Tourny run has been shocking - not my game, what dya reckon DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think its probably correct to fold pre, given bubble dynamics. Postflop, I would check to aggressor as you did, and given the snap reshove by chipleader, probably fold.

I am fairly confident Chipleader shows AKo in this spot.
  • edited May 2010
    Ugly spot.  I've got to say I don't particularly like how you've played the hand but if I trawl my own HH I'm sure I'll drag up something like this by me, we all do it :)

The decision is preflop for me.  Active player has min-raised which shouldn't fill us with fear.  The big stack flatting in position is a worry.  We need more information on him, has he got that stack by playing well or by winning a few flips?  I understand fully that in this format you may not have any information on him, but you need to be aware of your lack of info on him as well.  I'm going to throw up an option of raise (6k)/fold.  Ok, ok, I know putting that much of your stack in the middle and then folding is generally horrible, but they are on the bubble as well as you and your stack still hurts both of them.  Put doubt in their minds (this again depends on their idea of you).

I probably fold pre and look for another spot, but the all in is fine also.  Calling is the worst option (but like I say, we've all done it in this spot).

As played, I lead the flop.  In fact I shove, boom.  The large stack may well have noticed the active player being active as well, so if the active player C-Bets as you anticipate the large stack might squeeze you out, taking your move away from you.

As played with the two all ins, it's an autofold.  Sometimes you are ahead, but we're effectively on the bubble and even if you are ahead there must be plenty of cards (flush draw, ISSD, Two pair draw, trips draw etc) to knock you out.
  • edited May 2010

I would stick the lot in pre mate. There must be almost 6k in there with antes, thats 40% of your stack and I think you should grab the opportunity. You've got plenty enough chips to seriously damage the CL and I think he's only calling with 3 or 4 hands. I would expect him to fold having called light to play in position against the active initial raiser. Even if he does have one of those hands to call with there's still only one thats got you in REAL trouble - AA. I think over time it would definately be +EV to shove here.

As its gone pre, I think you did the right thing post flop with all the best intentions and now you've got an easy fold.

JC

• edited May 2010
     I feel the initial raiser would put a min raise in with either a premium hand hoping someone would come over the top or with any pocket pair hoping to get it through without risking to much. or of course getting lucky.
     The next question would be, what did the big stack call with but not raise? My guess would be suited ace, suited king or suited connecters.
     If the initial raiser is bluffing after the flop I would be very surprised and I feel that the big stack is chasing the nut flush. Ok if the initial raiser as got AJ you are ahead but you still have to fold!
     Yes you could have gone all-in Pre-flop and pushed at least one off there hand possibly both but that would have been a risky stratagey sometimes I would, sometimes I wouldnt its all down to my gut feeling!

• edited May 2010

100% fold and even though you will probably fold the best hand it is near the bubble and had the chip leader not been in the hand then maybe a shove would be called for but do you don't really want to a battle with the 1 guy that can take you out. Having done what you done though, which Tommy said is the worst option and I think you will realise that now anyway, then on that flop your only worried about the hearts. At best the original raiser has A rag but I think that is giving him to much credit tbh, the chip leader imo could have any 2 cards here - I truely don't believe he has AK because I don't think he flats on the button with it, for him to call he has a piece of it therefore a few hands come to mind A8 A9 KQ KJ and possibly K10 - you just have to blank out he has 77 - and again I wouln't think he had tbh. On that board I probably woul be all in tbh but that is after having 5 minutes to analyse the play an it is unerstandable that you didn't have anywhere enough time to do that lol!! 

• edited May 2010
    I would have donked all in on the flop because there is a flush draw planning to bet/shove. But then again I don't do Stt' s Mtt's and anytime I do play them I play to win and normally don't pay the bubble the repect it deserves.
  • edited May 2010
    I dont mind the call pre, with a premium hand as its not made and a shove may initiate a race against a pocket pair which is not worth the flip. on the flop maybe would have fired a bet to find out, but it depends on how your image was at the time?

Dont mind the check if you are planning to call the more active of the 2 & shorter stacker, but when both are all in definate fold. like others said maybe slightly ahead at best i'd say, someone couid have ak or flush draw not worth the risk when you have plenty of play left with your stack
  • edited May 2010
      This is a situation that a lot of people find themselves in whilst playing and i can honestly say that it is all self inflicted.

You had 3 choices preflop with those cards and stack sizes and position. Fold (maybe on the tight side but still a very good option), reraise all-in (maybe overly aggressive but still a very good option) or call (weak,passive and a very bad option).Now because you called and put in 10% of your stack to see the flop you are in a bad position.You are losing to a better ace or several worse aces and are not that big against the flush draw.

As soon as the pot grew to the size it had preflop it was obvious that there would be at least 1 all-in on any flop whatsoever and as soon as the second all-in goes in this hand becomes for me an easy fold because you still have enough chips back to find a better position and to get the chips in first.

Difficult decisions like this can be easily avoided by not making really bad decisions preflop.
  • edited May 2010
    Either fold or go all in pre. how can you raise a 2k open at 0.5/1 with a 15 bb stack and still have money behind?