You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!!

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat

This little blog is going to cause a riot among some of you... the BAD BEAT syndrome..when you lose a superior starting hand to another smaller starting hand, or is it??..
On Sunday,my first day off for a couple of weeks, I decided to have another go at the Primo, (my 2nd), as I had done reasonably well at my first attempt by finishing 20th out of a field of over 400.
I sat and watched Sky poker Tv..caught, up on whats what and who's done what...congrats to diggerman by the way...and readied myself for a few hours of poker...8pm arrived and l sat at my laptop, adrenaline slowly rising.. 1st deal came and went and l folded under the gun... 2000 chips intact...next hand I was the Big Blind... in went my 20 chips and waited for the deal... there they were!!!... the nuts!!.. AA!!...l rubbed my hands ...l  thought 'can earn a few chips here..maybe double up'...one player mid table limped in with a call of 20..the small blind raised to 80...'nice' l thought..naturally I re-raised 320,,, the limper folded..the small blind flat called... the flop came down...all spades highest being a queen, but no straight draw... oops l thought.. small blind checked...and aware of the flush l bet 1/2 the pot..the re raise came from the small blind..pot commiting him... l had him on flush draw or AQ with the nut flush draw... I had it in my mind that he was trying to steal the pot or betting on getting the flush..was he trapping???..... having watched the replays....no..he thought he was ahead and probably had me on AQ...anyway l re raised all in...he called... he had KK with king of spades giving him the flush draw..the turn card came down and l was still ahead... then the river... 8 of spades...tournament over...my pocket rockets fell foul of his KK.
Now a lot out there would call that a bad beat.... WRONG SO WRONG... it's poker my friends..nothing less and nothing more...could l have played that hand differently??? Yes.... a really disciplined player would have folded those Aces after the check-raise on the flop..he may have thought he was ahead at the time...but if you work the percentages out..it's something like 36% on hitting a flush by the river against something like 2% hitting a set..so who's going to win 8 out of 10 times... If I had folded the AA after the check-raise, at that early stage in the game the damage was not to bad...I still would have had 1400 in chips..enough to get back into the game. But that was not to be....there will always be a next time.....
I really do not think that there is such a thing as a bad beat. You control your chips, and play your hand... you try and work out what your opponent has got based on his actions..what lets us down is our own ability to fold if the flop,turn or river goes against us..even if we have the NUTS to start...As far as pocket pairs are concerned....really, they are only as good as the flop...and if you decide that you are invincible and get beaten..then look again at how the hand played and learn from it... it is always hard to put down a pocket pair...l have learnt from my swift exit from sundays primo... the nuts are crackable...different flop l was well in..but l went against what was logically happening and paid the price.... Bad Beat?????..bad play....

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Big yawn...Throw in the "who cares" voting option next time too. It will romp home, trust us. Or go to he Poker Clinic for a check-up. Fully red-text posts are worrying and may be hiding an underlying condition.
  • edited May 2010
    If the question is "Should I use paragraphs" - I vote Yes.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!!:
    If the question is "Should I use paragraphs" - I vote Yes.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    I am still itching my eyeballs.
  • edited May 2010

i didnt read it.... and i dont care to vote

• edited May 2010
    i didnt read it.... and i dont care to vote
    Posted by aussie09

gut you should vote aussie... suppose we all had that attitude in the general election where would we be?

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!! : gut you should vote aussie... suppose we all had that attitude in the general election where would we be?
    Posted by aussie09

hey aussie... are you arguing or voting?

• edited May 2010
    Not sure what the vote is for either. I am not agreeing or disagreeing to ANYTHING unless I sign something, or I am drunk.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!! : hey aussie... are you arguing or voting?
    Posted by aussie09

i am off to bed... this is the most boring post of the week

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!! : i am off to bed... this is the most boring post of the week
    Posted by aussie09

night night... sweet dreams

ps.... i am still not voting

• edited May 2010
     When does it come out in paperback? Jeesh I read the first few lines and my Vertigo kicked in!
     I vote for shorter posts and the abolishment of red print! :P
  • edited May 2010
     When does it come out in paperback? Jeesh I read the first few lines and my Vertigo kicked in!  I vote for shorter posts and the abolishment of red print! :P
    Posted by Donut64

ssssshhhhhh donut.... i am trying to sleep

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!! : ssssshhhhhh donut.... i am trying to sleep
    Posted by aussie09
     LOL I have to try to get my balance back before I try to climb the stairs to go to bed thanks to this thread! :P
  • edited May 2010
    lol just watched this play on Primo repeat. 

BAN BAD BEATS

Kut...
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!!:
    I really do not think that there is such a thing as a bad beat. You control your chips, and play your hand... you try and work out what your opponent has got based on his actions..what lets us down is our own ability to fold if the flop,turn or river goes against us..Posted by larry1959
    This makes sense

nice post sir

apologies for those mocking your post, thats not fair you have gone to some considerable effort to write this. And for once, i dont believe this was standard whinging about a bad beat, i think this is an anti bad beat post, so fair play

good luck at the tables

Hoggers
  • edited May 2010

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

.........what?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

• edited May 2010
    In Response to BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!! : This makes sense nice post sir apologies for those mocking your post, thats not fair you have gone to some considerable effort to write this. And for once, i dont believe this was standard whinging about a bad beat, i think this is an anti bad beat post, so fair play good luck at the tables Hoggers
    Posted by GREGHOGG
     Mr Hogg please dont apologies on my behalf! I just feel he could have made is point in a more concise manner and the red type genuinely set of my Vertigo! :(
  • edited May 2010
    can we have a neither answer, he has outs so the draw is likely but at the same time he still thinks he is ahead the probability he flopped the flush is very small therefore the move was justified, also you mention about making a disciplined fold, early tournament no read on your opponent but would it be a good fold overtime? That is what you need to find out in order to say whether that was the right move for the situation or not.

I see your point as that is just poker at the end of the day and it can happen but I suppose bad beat would be a way to classify them hands its impossible to get away from, so in a matter of fact a bad beat is just a hand in which whatever your read the way the cards fall you can't help but lose the lot or at least the majority depending on your opponents stack.

Bad beat term in poker is like variance in a way its a way to classify something within poker. As variance is a classification of your current run of luck, you may have not made the wrong move for the situation but it is still going against you, that kinda thing.

So in a way you can think of it as there is no such thing as a bad beat, but it is a term to explain them near impossible to get away hands
  • edited May 2010

Aup fella I've read through the post - I see what you're trying to say, but I don't agree.

Firstly, I remember exactly the hand you are talking about, it was against Tallboy, a guy I have played quite abit with on sky. I was surprised all the chips didnt go in pre flop, but I guess he was trying to trap you.

I think in your post you are getting a bad beat mixed up with an absolute cooler. Sometimes, hands play themselves. The flop comes down and both players like it so much, the money/chips are always going to go in.

There is definitely bad beats in poker. How about if you hold KK on a KING KING 5 flop. Your opponent holds pocket aces, and all the chips go in. The turn and river come ACE, ACE.

This is a terrible/horrible/hurrendous beat, rather than a bad one. Theres times you get it in as a slight favourite, and your opponent hits his card. I wouldn't say this was a bad beat, just unlucky, and thats what you sign up to when you pay your entry fee.

Personally I'd rather have it happen 2nd hand, than lose a flip with AK v QQ on the bubble 3 hours later, but thats me.

Anyway been thinkin lately and I'd much rather have a bad beat, than be on the wrong end of a cooler situation.

2 scenarios...

a) U have AA v 77 preflop, all the money goes in, and the board comes 5 hearts. You oppo has the 7 hearts, and takes the pot. - Sick huh?

b) U have 77 v 22 - the flop comes 7 2 2. Obviously the money goes in, you are 99.9% sure you are ahead. The cards are turned over and you realise its the biggest cooler ever.

Which would you prefer?

Super sick bad beat?

Un-foldable cooler?

• edited May 2010
    I think if we all used the much more expensive red ink in this cavilier fashion it would seriously effect Skys "current business model" and the rake on low level DYMs would have to increase still further.
  • edited May 2010
    I think if we all used the much more expensive red ink in this cavilier fashion it would seriously effect Skys "current business model" and the rake on low level DYMs would have to increase still further.
    Posted by Dud_Butini
    I was thinking more along the lines of carefree abandon Dud.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!! : I was thinking more along the lines of carefree abandon Dud.
    Posted by emilyegg

i was thinking more along the lines as psychotic menace emily

• edited May 2010
    In Response to BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!!:
    This little blog is going to cause a riot among some of you... the BAD BEAT syndrome..when you lose a superior starting hand to another smaller starting hand, or is it??.. On Sunday,my first day off for a couple of weeks, I decided to have another go at the Primo, (my 2nd), as I had done reasonably well at my first attempt by finishing 20th out of a field of over 400. I sat and watched Sky poker Tv..caught, up on whats what and who's done what...congrats to diggerman by the way...and readied myself for a few hours of poker...8pm arrived and l sat at my laptop, adrenaline slowly rising.. 1st deal came and went and l folded under the gun... 2000 chips intact...next hand I was the Big Blind... in went my 20 chips and waited for the deal... there they were!!!... the nuts!!.. AA!!...l rubbed my hands ...l  thought 'can earn a few chips here..maybe double up'...one player mid table limped in with a call of 20..the small blind raised to 80...'nice' l thought..naturally I re-raised 320,,, the limper folded..the small blind flat called... the flop came down...all spades highest being a queen, but no straight draw... oops l thought.. small blind checked...and aware of the flush l bet 1/2 the pot..the re raise came from the small blind..pot commiting him... l had him on flush draw or AQ with the nut flush draw... I had it in my mind that he was trying to steal the pot or betting on getting the flush..was he trapping???..... having watched the replays....no..he thought he was ahead and probably had me on AQ...anyway l re raised all in...he called... he had KK with king of spades giving him the flush draw..the turn card came down and l was still ahead... then the river... 8 of spades...tournament over...my pocket rockets fell foul of his KK. Now a lot out there would call that a bad beat.... WRONG SO WRONG... it's poker my friends..nothing less and nothing more...could l have played that hand differently??? Yes.... a really disciplined player would have folded those Aces after the check-raise on the flop..he may have thought he was ahead at the time...but if you work the percentages out..it's something like 36% on hitting a flush by the river against something like 2% hitting a set..so who's going to win 8 out of 10 times... If I had folded the AA after the check-raise, at that early stage in the game the damage was not to bad...I still would have had 1400 in chips..enough to get back into the game. But that was not to be....there will always be a next time..... I really do not think that there is such a thing as a bad beat. You control your chips, and play your hand... you try and work out what your opponent has got based on his actions..what lets us down is our own ability to fold if the flop,turn or river goes against us..even if we have the NUTS to start...As far as pocket pairs are concerned....really, they are only as good as the flop...and if you decide that you are invincible and get beaten..then look again at how the hand played and learn from it... it is always hard to put down a pocket pair...l have learnt from my swift exit from sundays primo... the nuts are crackable...different flop l was well in..but l went against what was logically happening and paid the price.... Bad Beat?????..bad play....
    Posted by larry1959
  • edited May 2010
    James said don't whine about a bad beat and you did the opposite, lol.You got your chips in ahead but as you say he was still about 35% to hit, so imo this defo wasn't a bad beat, i'm probably wrong but i feel bb are only when someone hits runner, runner  for trips/quads but never for a flush.So i agree and disagree with you on the bb theory.I defo disagree with your choice of red though :~)
  • edited May 2010
     First thank you Pokerpairs for making it readable for me.

The answer to the question is yes their are bad beats but this is not one of them! You made a brave move after the flop which looked the right move at the time. I dont think it was bad play or a bad beat just a play that didnt come off!

• edited May 2010

Thank you for all the responses (even the funny/sarcastic ones) and votes on my last post ''BAD BEATS????...no such thing!!!!..the results suprised me somewhat as l thought they would favour the bad beat, but with 2 to 1 against the existence of 'BAD BEATS', it must be made official (as voted by sky poker members, drum roll, musical fanfare)..THE 'BAD BEAT'  DOES NOT EXIST!!!...
    So next time you are beaten by an inferior starting hand, put it down to a bit of bad luck...we don't get the run of the cards all of the time..no matter how good your starting hand 9 outta 10 someone will call and occasionally gets the better draw...
    Good luck on the tables all

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: IT'S OFFICIAL>>>>>BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!!:
    Thank you for all the responses (even the funny/sarcastic ones) and votes on my last post ''BAD BEATS????...no such thing!!!!..the results suprised me somewhat as l thought they would favour the bad beat, but with 2 to 1 against the existence of 'BAD BEATS', it must be made official (as voted by sky poker members, drum roll, musical fanfare)..THE 'BAD BEAT'  DOES NOT EXIST!!!... So next time you are beaten by an inferior starting hand, put it down to a bit of bad luck...we don't get the run of the cards all of the time..no matter how good your starting hand 9 outta 10 someone will call and occasionally gets the better draw... Good luck on the tables all
    Posted by larry1959

i am still refusing to read the question?

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: IT'S OFFICIAL>>>>>BAD BEAT????...no such thing!!!!:
    Thank you for all the responses (even the funny/sarcastic ones) and votes on my last post ''BAD BEATS????...no such thing!!!!..the results suprised me somewhat as l thought they would favour the bad beat, but with 2 to 1 against the existence of 'BAD BEATS', it must be made official (as voted by sky poker members, drum roll, musical fanfare)..THE 'BAD BEAT'  DOES NOT EXIST!!!... So next time you are beaten by an inferior starting hand, put it down to a bit of bad luck...we don't get the run of the cards all of the time..no matter how good your starting hand 9 outta 10 someone will call and occasionally gets the better draw... Good luck on the tables all
    Posted by larry1959
    GL Larry, glad you have seen the funny side and have not posted in red text again.
  • edited May 2010
    No we shouldnt moan about them but as dohhhhhhh states BAD BEATS DO EXIST
  • edited May 2010
    No we shouldnt moan about them but as dohhhhhhh states BAD BEATS DO EXIST
    Posted by dav1964
    exactly just ask chris brown and rhianna! ;)