You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha heads up

edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Ok i accidently went into an Omaha hi/lo heads up, and this hand came up, just woundering as im hold em player did i play it wrong. Also im unfamiliar with the hi/lo rules could someone explain them.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Jimbozak Small blind  15.00 15.00 1935.00
The_Don90 Big blind  30.00 45.00 2020.00
  Your hole cards
  • J

Jimbozak Raise  60.00 105.00 1875.00
The_Don90 Call  45.00 150.00 1975.00
Flop

• A

The_Don90 Bet  75.00 225.00 1900.00
Jimbozak Raise  375.00 600.00 1500.00
The_Don90 Raise  600.00 1200.00 1300.00
Jimbozak All-in  1500.00 2700.00 0.00
The_Don90 All-in  1300.00 4000.00 0.00
The_Don90 Unmatched bet  100.00 3900.00 100.00
Jimbozak Show

The_Don90 Show
  • J

Turn

• Q

River

• K

Jimbozak Win high Flush to the Ace 3900.00  3900.00
 No qualifying low hand    

Comments

• edited May 2010
    You playing play money here? seems like a bit wreckless when playing a game you dont know

Basic rules are there are two parts which you can win so 50% for best possible hand using 2 of your cards & 3 of the community cards in the middle

Low- which in order to qualifie must have 2 cards in your hand which are lower then 8, then 3 in the community less then 8 which you can use, if you have a card which is already out example your 5 cancelled out 5 in community cards or the otherway round. if this makes sense?

Mere Novice answered this well on another thread in last couple of days also if there is no low hand then hi hand wins full 100%

sorry for explanation as not done well
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha heads up:
    You playing play money here? seems like a bit wreckless when playing a game you dont know Basic rules are there are two parts which you can win so 50% for best possible hand using 2 of your cards & 3 of the community cards in the middle Low- which in order to qualifie must have 2 cards in your hand which are lower then 8, then 3 in the community less then 8 which you can use, if you have a card which is already out example your 5 cancelled out 5 in community cards or the otherway round. if this makes sense? Mere Novice answered this well on another thread in last couple of days also if there is no low hand then hi hand wins full 100% sorry for explanation as not done well
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I usually have it set on hold em only, but id only logged in and forgot to change the settings. As a reuslt yes it was for money and i never look because i usually have it set to hold em only.
  • edited May 2010
      Firstly the HiLo rules are 50% goes to the best hand and 50% got to the Lo hand(if there is one).A Lo hand consists of 5 different cards 8 and below using 2 from your hand and 3 from the community cards.

As to your play of the hand. A set even bottom set is very powerful in NLHE but it is not that strong in omaha. When the flop comes down like that you should be going into check call mode because there is a flush draw out there as well as combi straight draws. Also with there being 2 low cards on the board and one of them conterfeiting yours, you have very little chance of getting the Lo hand.

So in a nutshell you may be in front on that board but there are too many draws available to your opponent, also even if your set does hold up you may still only be getting half the pot because of the Lo draw available. The main aim in omaha HiLo is to take down the whole pot. You can do this by having the best hand and no Lo hand being available or by scooping, which is taking both the Hi and Lo pots.In tourny play you can survive by splitting pot after pot but in a cash game the rake will kill you and you will be losing money every hand.

When deciding which hands to play down the streets with you need to be aware of drawing to both Hi and Lo pots.There are a good few links around to some very good strategy guides within the forum. I would recommend checking these out before going back to the HiLo tables but make sure you give the game a good go as it is a beautiful and infuriating game to play.

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha heads up:
      Firstly the HiLo rules are 50% goes to the best hand and 50% got to the Lo hand(if there is one).A Lo hand consists of 5 different cards 8 and below using 2 from your hand and 3 from the community cards.  As to your play of the hand. A set even bottom set is very powerful in NLHE but it is not that strong in omaha. When the flop comes down like that you should be going into check call mode because there is a flush draw out there as well as combi straight draws. Also with there being 2 low cards on the board and one of them conterfeiting yours, you have very little chance of getting the Lo hand.   So in a nutshell you may be in front on that board but there are too many draws available to your opponent, also even if your set does hold up you may still only be getting half the pot because of the Lo draw available. The main aim in omaha HiLo is to take down the whole pot. You can do this by having the best hand and no Lo hand being available or by scooping, which is taking both the Hi and Lo pots.In tourny play you can survive by splitting pot after pot but in a cash game the rake will kill you and you will be losing money every hand.  When deciding which hands to play down the streets with you need to be aware of drawing to both Hi and Lo pots.There are a good few links around to some very good strategy guides within the forum. I would recommend checking these out before going back to the HiLo tables but make sure you give the game a good go as it is a beautiful and infuriating game to play.
    Posted by Talon
    Talon you must teach me, you give such sound advice :o)