You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What did i do to deserve this

edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I need to see a doctor.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
opponentSmall blind  10.00 10.00 1950.00
becky0020 Big blind  20.00 30.00 2080.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

tomandele Fold     
N_13 Fold     
BK_GD Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  80.00 110.00 1860.00
opponentCall  70.00 180.00 1880.00
becky0020 Fold     
Flop

opponentCheck     
The_Don90 Bet  90.00 270.00 1770.00
opponentCall  90.00 360.00 1790.00
Turn

opponentCheck     
The_Don90 Bet  180.00 540.00 1590.00
opponentCall  180.00 720.00 1610.00
River

• K

opponentAll-in  1610.00 2330.00 0.00
The_Don90 All-in  1590.00 3920.00 0.00
opponentUnmatched bet  20.00 3900.00 20.00
opponentShow
  • A

The_Don90 Show
  • J
  • J

opponent Win Flush to the Ace 3900.00  3920.00

A bad call on the river yes, but only two cards could beat me, so i figured if hed chased a flush he have a lower Suited connector likley

Comments

• edited May 2010

'what did i do to deserve this?' .... quite simply you didnt make your bets big enough! flop bet is way too small, as is the turn bet when its checked too you for the second time!

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: What did i do to deserve this:
    'what did i do to deserve this?' .... quite simply you didnt make your bets big enough! flop bet is way too small, as is the turn bet when its checked too you for the second time!
    Posted by Eagle26
    I was erxpecting this, they where half pot size bets which i usually use to play 90% of my strong hands, on the basis of showing a set style of play, it does change the odd time but only in latter stages of MTT
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: What did i do to deserve this : I was erxpecting this, they where half pot size bets which i usually use to play 90% of my strong hands, on the basis of showing a set style of play, it does change the odd time but only in latter stages of MTT
    Posted by The_Don90
    so im guessin you get outdrawn alot then?  
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: What did i do to deserve this : I was erxpecting this, they where half pot size bets which i usually use to play 90% of my strong hands, on the basis of showing a set style of play, it does change the odd time but only in latter stages of MTT
    Posted by The_Don90
    Don

With respect if you take this line with 90% of the field you will experience more outdraws than other players who bet more.  It's a question of expectation.  You should be expecting more value through the streets for your big hands but you should equally be expecting your big hands to be cracked more often.  This line will work on some players.  For instance, if I had been on the Jagerbombs and decided to play A2 o/s in this fashion I would of raised your bet on the flop, seeing it as weakness.  Then I fully expect you to shove over the top and for me to run away with my bottom smacked.  But if you play this way 90% of the time against the field you will just have to accept you will get outdrawn more than other players who bet hands stronger.  It's a pure fact of maths.

I would suggest that you mix your game up a little more a see what results you have.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: What did i do to deserve this : Don With respect if you take this line with 90% of the field you will experience more outdraws than other players who bet more.  It's a question of expectation.  You should be expecting more value through the streets for your big hands but you should equally be expecting your big hands to be cracked more often.  This line will  work on some players.  For instance, if I had been on the Jagerbombs and decided to play A2 o/s in this fashion I would of raised your bet on the flop, seeing it as weakness.  Then I fully expect you to shove over the top and for me to run away with my bottom smacked.  But if you play this way 90% of the time against the field you will just have to accept you will get outdrawn more than other players who bet hands stronger.  It's a pure fact of maths. I would suggest that you mix your game up a little more a see what results you have.
    Posted by TommyD
    Thanks Tommy. As you said yes i do teand to get more value out of my big hands but i would say online i teand to get outdrawn more, people i play live with are a little scared of my half pot bets on the flop, but i guess thats down to image which is something i like to play, mixing up my game teands not to give out any table image but maybe i need to take that away again.
  • edited May 2010
    You gave him great odds at every stage. Yes he didn't even have a draw per say, but you should still bet like he has got one 3/4 - pot every street. Also why did you call the shove on river, if he had two overs and hit then your dead, plus one of the big cards could easily be the ace or Q of clubs, but you just called off 1600 when the blinds are 10/20 ?
  • edited May 2010
    Eh, personally I'm not too much of a fan of thinking about the pot early on- I look more at stack sizes relative to BB. If stacks are 2k with BB at 20, pot is 120 going into the flop- a 60 bet isn't going to scare many people when they have a sizeable stack. A pot sized, or even larger bet is far more pricey for someone to call with nothing. With bottom pair, or even A/K/Q high someone is likely to call a bet when it's like 2/3% of their stack. Once blinds are 100/200 and higher, I think half pot bets will be enough quite often, but again- stack sizes are so important to watch.
  • edited May 2010
    Eh, personally I'm not too much of a fan of thinking about the pot early on- I look more at stack sizes relative to BB. If stacks are 2k with BB at 20, pot is 120 going into the flop- a 60 bet isn't going to scare many people when they have a sizeable stack. A pot sized, or even larger bet is far more pricey for someone to call with nothing. With bottom pair, or even A/K/Q high someone is likely to call a bet when it's like 2/3% of their stack. Once blinds are 100/200 and higher, I think half pot bets will be enough quite often, but again- stack sizes are so important to watch.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    I think this is maybe my problem as i usually play smaller live game so stack size is usually small so i get away with it. Anyway after this i dished out a few tonight so kind of better mooded knowing it wasnt against me. However thanks for all the input guys tried a differnt style of game in a tournament before and took £100 for my fiver buy in taking 10 heads in the hunter and winning it so i think ill try a little differnt from time to time.