You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A live game scenario

edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Final table, 9 handed blinds 500/1,000 im 2nd in chips with 26k top 4 paid.

Folds round to the HiJack who shoves for 8k, cut-off folds and button who is the big stack (about 35k) flat calls, SB folds im ready to fold on the BB but look down and see AKsuited. 7k for me to call.

How would you play it from here?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I probably ship it.

But then again I've not played many tournaments in the last year.

I think the big stack is probably calling reasonably light to try and knock out a player and you can squeeze it to get HU and racing with the short stacker.

I think it is unlikely the big stack is trapping with a monster.
  • edited May 2010
    Hi Charles

He could be pushing with any 2, 15K in pot? 2-1 odds? call imo
  • edited May 2010
  • edited May 2010
    Is the player in the SB a reg?  Do you think he will go by the unwritten rule of checking it down?
  • edited May 2010
    Tough spot Charles. If you call you are only doing so to hit an A or K high flop, but probably have the odds to make the call, and enough chips to fold if you miss.

It all depends on what you know about the big stack. If you can put him on AQ/AJ obviously you must push, the worry is that he has a pocket pair and it is not a situation you want to be racing in. Looking at the hand from his viewpoint, it will cost him 18k to call your shove and there is 43k in the pot. Can he lay it down if he has 10s or Js, or does the fact that he will still have 8 or 9 BBs if he loses price him in ?

Personally I  would probably take the gamble and shove just because it is just at that stage of a tourny where I like to be aggressive. If he lays it down you have every chance of being chip leader, and if he calls and you win you will be in such a dominant position.

• edited May 2010

Snap shove, literally no other decision for this. You can make button fold a range of hands, and now you have good equity with added dead money, and even if he calls and you are racing, win this pot and you are most likely winning the tournament.

• edited May 2010
    Sorry I should of added the bigstack was very loose agro (but not in a donk way)

I agree with you all, you all said exactly what I was thinking at the time, especially Penguin.

Yes I shoved and he dwelled up for ages trying to get tells out of me. He eventually called and fist pumped when he found out he was a 45% fav with 10,10 ?? (the shorties had AQ FWIW)

I can understand why he called hoping we both had an A, but not sure if I would or not... He was happy to see he was a coin flip, is that a good way to play?

Anyway i'm probs being results orientated because I didnt hit (and he hit 10 aswell) to have a huge stack and bust me in 8th. I think if same scenario happens again I still shove.
  • edited May 2010
  • edited May 2010
    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: A live game scenario:
    Snap shove, literally no other decision for this. You can make button fold a range of hands, and now you have good equity with added dead money, and even if he calls and you are racing, win this pot and you are most likely winning the tournament.
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    +1