You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

General questions about PPs and suited cons...

edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
When calling like a raise or a 3 bet with suited cons or PPs, how much of a stack should they have to make it a profitable call? Im thinking maybe about 20x the size of their raise as their stack size? Maybe less maybe more? whats thoughts on this?

Also how profitable is it to defend the blinds with suited cons from a LP steal? And how profitable is it to call an EP raise from the blinds with suited cons?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    In Response to General questions about PPs and suited cons...:
    When calling like a raise or a 3 bet with suited cons or PPs, how much of a stack should they have to make it a profitable call? Im thinking maybe about 20x the size of their raise as their stack size? Maybe less maybe more? whats thoughts on this? Also how profitable is it to defend the blinds with suited cons from a LP steal? And how profitable is it to call an EP raise from the blinds with suited cons?
    Posted by BlackFish3

Very deep stack/some read they will more often than not be strong.

SC only let  you hit draws so oop they suck and shallow stacked they suck, they will depend on y our reads on your opponent and how hard you find it to make them fold when you want.

Same again oop at least you're against a theoretically stronger range but still going to be horrible to play.
  • edited May 2010
    Anything I post here will probably be unhelpful to what you want to achieve from calling a rasie or a 3bet with these hands. I'll start by presuming pp's you mean at least 77 and under because anything else against short stacks I would take them all in with 3bets (3bets = double meaning). But the whole concept is completely down to who is raising, where they raise from, how often does she cbet or check raise, tight or loose, or even the poker god. However to give you a rule of thumb. It's 40bb. It's minus EV to raise these hands against against 2 or 3 opponents with 40bb or less. This goes for both 66 and under an 98s and under. However you don't tighten up. You substitute ACE, KING, QUEEN decent kicker hands because against 40bb and less your only looking for top pair. You really dont want to be drawing or holding underpairs.
  • edited May 2010
    Readless, 100BB stacks, im obviously going to set mine to a raise but what if i raise and get 3 bet, how deep should the stacks be? Maybe 20x the size of the raise?

calling with suited cons oop 100BB stacks and readless... is that unprofitable? What about suited broadway in the same situation? suited broadway that you dont want to 3 bet with.
  • edited May 2010
    hi blackfish from 2s up to the 8s call there raise take them to flop hopeing to hit my set then bust them 9s t0 the aces am re raiseing hope to out plasy them down the streets
  • edited May 2010
    suited good hands i will raise or call depending on my postion if i hit get payed off miss the flop  muck suited con very good cracking your top pocket pairs
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: General questions about PPs and suited cons...:
    Readless, 100BB stacks, im obviously going to set mine to a raise but what if i raise and get 3 bet, how deep should the stacks be? Maybe 20x the size of the raise? calling with suited cons oop 100BB stacks and readless... is that unprofitable? What about suited broadway in the same situation? suited broadway that you dont want to 3 bet with.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Im no expert blackfish, but at nl20 where I play, a standard raise might be to 80p, a 3bet will be to maybe £2.40. 20 x that is £48.  I would setmine for stacks a lot less than that.  Also bearing in mind that the 3bet villain is more likely than usual to stack off when you hit your set ( hopefully) as there is more chance of aa, kk etc in their hand
  • edited May 2010
    putting more than 5% of your stack in preflop without the initiative in order to setmine is bad vs regulars whos 3bet range is wider than just QQ+.

however on sky there are alot of players whos 3bet range is exactly QQ+ and you probably can set mine for ~10% of your stack preflop profitably

suited connectors suck oop to a LP raise if the pot is going to be HU i dont mind calling with some of the higher ones  (78s+) if you can get it 3way with atleast 1fish with 100bb stacks. if you cant 3bet or fold
  • edited May 2010
    Ok so suited cons even oop multi way.
    What about calling an EP raise with suited cons from the blinds when the pot is going to be HU? 100BB stacks and readless? Is this profitable or should i just be looking to fold and instead call with them just in position?
  • edited May 2010
    1 in 8 you flop a set, obviously though you are not always gona stack some 1, and sometimes when you flop a set you will still lose. So what sort of stack do i want to be against? 12-20x the raise?
    all readless btw.
  • edited May 2010
    vs Lags you need a better price say 16-1+. vs Nits more like 12-1+. Im on about PPs here. Depends exactly how narrow or wide theire 3-betting range actually is. 

Suited connectors are overrated. lol