You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Too aggressive or...

edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
... just unlucky my move didn't get through.
Played this hand last night and wondered what people thought about it.
The villian has limp called a pre flop raise, then donk led a pot size bet on the flop.
This has me thinking that he has a hand but he isn't that strong. My two choices are fold because
he clearly has something. Or reraise, because his actions tell me that his holdings are weak.
I went with the second option and reraised all in cos any reraise pot commits me. To be honest, I put him on A 9,
88 or 77 cos tens or higher he's not limping pre flop and if he's got 10's + or a set he's check raising.I really thought he was betting to protect his middling pair from a check behind and seeing paint on the turn.So I decided to rep a bigger hand by shoving.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
player Small blind   50.00 50.00 6635.00
player Big blind   100.00 150.00 12940.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

Villian Call   100.00 250.00 5543.75
Mohican Raise   400.00 650.00 3820.00
player Fold        
player Fold        
player Fold        
player Fold        
Villian Call   300.00 950.00 5243.75
Flop

Villian Bet   950.00 1900.00 4293.75
Mohican All-in   3820.00 5720.00 0.00
Villian All-in   4293.75 10013.75 0.00
Villian Unmatched bet   1423.75 8590.00 1423.75
Villian Show

Mohican Show
  • K

Turn

River

Villian
Win Two Pairs, 8s and 5s 8590.00   10013.75

Just wondered what people thought about my reasoning for the shove with air. Is it just mindless
aggression or is my reasoning fairly sound and unlucky the player thought his 8's were ahead?
Any comments welcome because the only way to improve is to listen.
regards,
Mohican.

Comments

• edited May 2010

just as a first, dont try and get your opponent to fold top pair in a tournament for ~50bbs unless you have a very good grasp on his game

KTo is too marginal in a tournament utg+1 to be isolating imo. especially as people love to limp utg and jam over a raise.

also when bad players donk bet into me for pot i tend to think its either a good draw or a decent made hand which they arent folding, i would like this alot more if he lead out for under 3/4pot or so.

when you shove villain has 2.5k more to call into a 7.5k pot so you're offering pretty good pot odds and i highly doubt he is folding anything except for a total bluff as he  probably is just going to do a classic live poker soul read and "put you on ak"

• edited May 2010
    I don't like the raise pre but I like your the shove and the reasoning behind it. You put him on pretty much exactly the hand he had and facing an all in shove it's a really marginal call - one that a lot of players wouldn't make despite the odds. It's probably something that's going to get through a fair amount.
  • edited May 2010
    I hate the way villain played this hand.

You have reasonable justification for the move you did but you need to know villain is capable of folding the range of hands you put them on.

I did a similar move last week and got looked up in cash.

UTG limps, I raise 5x with AQ. They call. Flop T95 and they pot bet out. I put them on a pair between 5's and 9's and thought they'd fold to a shove.

So I shoved and got called by pocket 3's.

Note added to villain that they aren't capable of folding and to value town them the next time I've got the good and no bluffing!