You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

proper advice needed plz

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat

something i forgot to mention in my other post is as i work nights mon-fri I dont really get much chance to play so its pretty much just the weekends or an hour or 2 in the afternoons. and as i have a rubbish laptop I can pretty much only 2 table so building a bankroll from lower limits is extremly difficult especially as I have very little patience!

Im sooooo close to just hitting the stop gambling button for 12months and just knockin it all on the head. Im not playin for fun anymore, im playin coz its an addiction and I have this stupid fantasy that ill be makin ££££'s from the game livin the highlife! where in reality if that was true i would have done it by now! im off to sleep on it anyway! 

Comments

• edited May 2010

Hi guys I need some serious help. I have absolutly no idea how to stop myself going on tilt after losing a big hand or after suffering a couple of bad beats, and its completly ruining the game for me! I was playing nl100 tonight and lost quite a big pot around £340 i think-I hit trips on the flop he has the overpair, money all ends up in the middle and then im done on the river as he makes his set. fair enough its part of the game it happens. so i go for a cigarette and decide to leave that table and jump upto nl200 and after being at the table for around 15mins ive only gone and managed to bluff my stack off!
    now firstly im not rolled for nl100 anymore and absolutly no-where near rolled for nl200 so losing over £350 in a couple of hands hurts me!-its a week wages to me! ... im not a bad player, i suppose u could say im a winning player as ive made quite a tidy sum from poker in the year or so ive been playing, i have my leaks, but don't we all?  but my one of my biggest problems is bankroll management i can 2 table nl30 for an hour or 2 but then get so bored as i crave the bigger money and move up. sometimes it works out, but when it don't and i lose a couple of pots i tilt so bad, I suffer from tilt so much!!
    ive now done my normal trick of clearing out my poker account withdrawin everything and told myself 'i aint playin this ****** game anymore' lol  but within a couple of days my poker addiction will get the better of me and ill be reloading again! so if anyone can think of anything to help me exercise proper bankroll management and anything to stop me tilting then plz speak up! I don't personally think there is too much wrong with my actual game (sure some ppl will disagree lol) obviously im no Phil Ivey, but I feel on my day I can mix it with the best of em! however until i can sort myself out im never ever gonna be anygood at this game! as havin all the little different tricks and funky moves in your locker is absolutly no use at all if: A) I can't grasp the concept of bankroll management! and B) tilt everytime i lose a big hand!
    any advice would be really appreciated, thanks - Andy  

• edited May 2010
    I think you answered your own question tbh.

It seems from your post you should hit that stop gambling button, and maybe seek some help?
  • edited May 2010
    Eagle mate, sorry to hear that your in this situation...I completely understand where your coming from. Remember how you got in to the game originally though. It wasn't and shouldn't been for the thoughts of "earning a quick few pound". Poker doesn't work like that and you definately know that! Remember you got involved for the FUN of it, it's a great game too play...luck and skill rolled in to one. Perhaps have 2days off, cool down. Come back and stick on lets say £100, use that as a BASE for your management. You need to kick in the big money and just potter about on the smaller stake DYM's and smaller cash tables...Im sure the knowledge and skill of your game will be more cost effective that way than it will losing £350+ on the bigger stakes...

I've been having the same problem too mate, we just have to find the balance at where we want too stand...for me at the moment, thats playing smaller buy in tournies and small cash stakes.

Good luck mate, hope you get your head clear!

"Success Only Comes Before Work In The Dictionary......" So Work HARD at playing your best poker and not being put on tilt!! :)
  • edited May 2010
    omg, this sounds so like me.  I can lose 2 buyins , and I will start questioning my ability.  Things like , I have been so lucky up to now, but this is where it ends.
    The tilt thing.  Im in no position to give advice, it happens to me.  Like me you cannot play all that much due to work commitments.  Personally, I think because of this, I am always trying to show a winning session, yeah, I know everyone is, but I think its more important, as I could have a session and not be able to play at all for another 4 or 5 or even more days.  I find that I`m in a rush to build my roll, whereas, in fact there is no rush.  Everyone is different, but I think this is my problem
  • edited May 2010

Andy you plonker! - I'll reply in abit - I dnt know the floppin answer tho I ak you time and time again why you do it to yourself? - You don't know, I don't know? just stop flippin doin it.

Edit - had my saturday morning forum scan! haha

You posted at 4am Eagle - u weren't leathered were you? I played through the night with u (wiiiii) on Thursday, and you kept yout head pretty well, owned me all night, and ended up winning at every level we played, 30/40/50 and 100.

It wont take you long to be rolled for 100nl, if you just play 30/40 for long enough, u hoover up chips and build your stack faster than anyone else, just by playing your natural game. Probably the best 2 tabler below 100nl in my opinion, ur just an 1diot for trying to sky dive before ya can bungee jump :)

Re-deposit!! (watching u yest afternoon, you were walking over two 50nl tables) - Ydnt u just so that 4 four hours a day, everyday for 2 weeks, and ull have £2k to go play 50p/£1

• edited May 2010

cheers for the replys guys! dohhhhhhh ur a star, this is the 3rd time now you have replyed to something like this from me-top man!!....im not gonna re-deposit this time, not for a short while anyway, when the money gets into my bank account ive decided im gonna treat myself to something!...
    obviously at some point im gonna be back playing again, and when i do its gonna be the correct way! im really gonna try and use correct bankroll management, maybe put on a couple of hundred quid and 2 table nl10/20 and if i cant work my way through the levels then obviously i know then i dont have what it takes!... 
    This is gonna be the last break im taking, when i come back-whenever it will be.. if i mess it up again and dont learn from previous mistakes then im packin it in for good...
    thanks once again to all that have found the time to reply, hopefully see u all at the tables in the future!

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: proper advice needed plz:
    omg, this sounds so like me.  I can lose 2 buyins , and I will start questioning my ability.  Things like , I have been so lucky up to now, but this is where it ends. The tilt thing.  Im in no position to give advice, it happens to me.  Like me you cannot play all that much due to work commitments.  Personally, I think because of this, I am always trying to show a winning session, yeah, I know everyone is, but I think its more important, as I could have a session and not be able to play at all for another 4 or 5 or even more days.  I find that I`m in a rush to build my roll, whereas, in fact there is no rush.  Everyone is different, but I think this is my problem
    Posted by OMahonyO
    lol that is exactly like me, poker just abuses my confidence over and over again, sick game.
  • edited May 2010
    eagle i think you answered your only question in identifying the problems you face, lack of patience, bankroll management and being a general tiltasaurus. So it's obviously self discipline issue, i think your just gona have to force yourself to play low otherwise you will lose at higher stakes and tilt off even more. So basically just force yourself to grind... do you think that is possible?
  • edited May 2010
    eagle i think you answered your only question in identifying the problems you face, lack of patience, bankroll management and being a general tiltasaurus. So it's obviously self discipline issue, i think your just gona have to force yourself to play low otherwise you will lose at higher stakes and tilt off even more. So basically just force yourself to grind... do you think that is possible?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    haha! I like that mate!...
    in answer to your question, I honestly don't know!! ive grinded in the past at lower levels and beat them but eventually through lack of discipline or just being a TILTASAURUS ive messed it all up, jumped to high-the beats hurt because im not properly rolled for the level, as a result ive tilted & lost more money!...
    I really get bored playin anything below nl50 i have serious lack of patience! I may be totally wrong but i believe enough in my own ability to be able to play nl100/200 and hold my own! however i suppose past results suggest im wrong! ....
    this may surprise you as i dont think we have ever shared a table, but your a player i really admire (i also know u got a big head-so tellin you that is probably a bad thing lol) even though u play much lower stakes than i do, i really like how you have the discipline to grind at the lower levels especially as your ability is probably much much higher! readin some of your posts, you know exactly what your talkin about, so maybe i should try and go down your route-start from the very bottom and try and build it up. although i could never see myself playin 2p/4p!! like ive said in a previous post, im gonna take some time away from the tables and when i return im gonna put enough money on to give me the bankroll for nl10/20 and force myself to grind through the levels-if i cant do it and i mess up again through lack of discipline and find myself playin way out my bankroll im gonna hit the 'stop gamblin' button for 12 months and just pack it all up!....
    off subject i remember once u posted something about being at a derren brown show? you wasn't the guy who got called up on stage and had to phone his dad was you? ur pic looks just like him!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: proper advice needed plz : haha! I like that mate!... in answer to your question, I honestly don't know!! ive grinded in the past at lower levels and beat them but eventually through lack of discipline or just being a TILTASAURUS ive messed it all up, jumped to high-the beats hurt because im not properly rolled for the level, as a result ive tilted & lost more money!... I really get bored playin anything below nl50 i have serious lack of patience! I may be totally wrong but i believe enough in my own ability to be able to play nl100/200 and hold my own! however i suppose past results suggest im wrong! .... this may surprise you as i dont think we have ever shared a table, but your a player i really admire (i also know u got a big head-so tellin you that is probably a bad thing lol) even though u play much lower stakes than i do, i really like how you have the discipline to grind at the lower levels especially as your ability is probably much much higher! readin some of your posts, you know exactly what your talkin about, so maybe i should try and go down your route-start from the very bottom and try and build it up. although i could never see myself playin 2p/4p!! like ive said in a previous post, im gonna take some time away from the tables and when i return im gonna put enough money on to give me the bankroll for nl10/20 and force myself to grind through the levels-if i cant do it and i mess up again through lack of discipline and find myself playin way out my bankroll im gonna hit the 'stop gamblin' button for 12 months and just pack it all up!.... off subject i remember once u posted something about being at a derren brown show? you wasn't the guy who got called up on stage and had to phone his dad was you? ur pic looks just like him!
    Posted by Eagle26
    1. everyone likes a tiltasaurus ;)

2. what's the highest level you beat fairly comfortably? Can you beat 50nl ok? or 30nl/40nl or something? surely you could try and put up with playing something like 30-50nl until you have the roll to really have proper shots at 100nl+?

3. Thanks a lot :D... yea just grind the highest level you can beat and you will be at 100nl+ in no time!

4. dont be such a drama queen lol, your a winning player, just work on your self-discipline and im sure you will do goooood.

5. lol nah that wernt me, all i had to do was think of an object (tennis racquet) and derren guessed it by asking like 2 questions lol. it was at hastings theatre i think and it wernt one of the shows that was filmed. My girlfriend recently got filmed going on stage at one of his shows though the uva week lol.

and btw... we have the same name weeeeeee :D
  • edited May 2010
    You are halfway there already  because you recognise your own problem.

25 years ago I was a compulsive gambler and wasted a few years of my life, betting on dogs horses... anything that moved ! Strangely it was a big win that cured me, I realised that the money I won could be used to acquire things I wanted rather than just for the next days gambling, and suddenly the buzz I got from living on the edge (and below it sometimes) had gone.

When I started playing poker 3 or 4 years ago it was the challenge of the game that attracted me rather than the chance of winning money. The chance of entering a tourny for a fiver and winning it for a couple of hundred was the challenge. Losing 5 or 10 pounds a night didnt hurt me, and my game improved enough to start to win a few, and build a bankroll. I have been lucky enough to be able to withdraw a few grand since but keep a good amount in my account so I can now play the larger tournies. Variance affects me little, I had a bad run last year but had the funds to play through it.

Yes, it hurts when I bubble or go out of a tourny, whether it is down to a bad beat or bad play, but it never tilts me, because I know that all I have really lost is my entry fee, and I can enter another for 10 or 20 quid.

I play cash occasionally up to 50nl but find grinding away very tedious, and if I had to do it all the time I know I would lose patience with it and perhaps start chasing losses with disastrous consequences.

What you need to do is work out why you play the game, what gives you the buzz ? If it is the game itself, maybe tournies are a good way of staying within your bankroll, while still having the chance of winning big. The hard bit is remembering that even a successful player can go a while without a good cash ! But maybe you get the thrill from the risk element of playing up to the limit of your bankroll, and thats where the problems lie.

I have seen enough of your play to know that you have a talent for the game, and hope you will soon be enjoying it again for the right reasons.

Tony

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: proper advice needed plz : 1. everyone likes a tiltasaurus ;) 2. what's the highest level you beat fairly comfortably? Can you beat 50nl ok? or 30nl/40nl or something? surely you could try and put up with playing something like 30-50nl until you have the roll to really have proper shots at 100nl+? 3. Thanks a lot :D... yea just grind the highest level you can beat and you will be at 100nl+ in no time! 4. dont be such a drama queen lol, your a winning player, just work on your self-discipline and im sure you will do goooood. 5. lol nah that wernt me, all i had to do was think of an object (tennis racquet) and derren guessed it by asking like 2 questions lol. it was at hastings theatre i think and it wernt one of the shows that was filmed. My girlfriend recently got filmed going on stage at one of his shows though the uva week lol. and btw... we have the same name weeeeeee :D
    Posted by BlackFish3
    so he is definatly genuine then? ive always had this thing in the back of my mind that the people he uses are stooges  or something! suppose its one of those things you wont believe until you have it done to you! ...what 2 questions did he ask to be able to guess a tennis racquet???
  • edited May 2010
    You are halfway there already  because you recognise your own problem. 25 years ago I was a compulsive gambler and wasted a few years of my life, betting on dogs horses... anything that moved ! Strangely it was a big win that cured me, I realised that the money I won could be used to acquire things I wanted rather than just for the next days gambling, and suddenly the buzz I got from living on the edge (and below it sometimes) had gone. When I started playing poker 3 or 4 years ago it was the challenge of the game that attracted me rather than the chance of winning money. The chance of entering a tourny for a fiver and winning it for a couple of hundred was the challenge. Losing 5 or 10 pounds a night didnt hurt me, and my game improved enough to start to win a few, and build a bankroll. I have been lucky enough to be able to withdraw a few grand since but keep a good amount in my account so I can now play the larger tournies. Variance affects me little, I had a bad run last year but had the funds to play through it. Yes, it hurts when I bubble or go out of a tourny, whether it is down to a bad beat or bad play, but it never tilts me, because I know that all I have really lost is my entry fee, and I can enter another for 10 or 20 quid. I play cash occasionally up to 50nl but find grinding away very tedious, and if I had to do it all the time I know I would lose patience with it and perhaps start chasing losses with disastrous consequences. What you need to do is work out why you play the game, what gives you the buzz ? If it is the game itself, maybe tournies are a good way of staying within your bankroll, while still having the chance of winning big. The hard bit is remembering that even a successful player can go a while without a good cash ! But maybe you get the thrill from the risk element of playing up to the limit of your bankroll, and thats where the problems lie. I have seen enough of your play to know that you have a talent for the game, and hope you will soon be enjoying it again for the right reasons. Tony
    Posted by penguin7
    such a brilliant reply! thanks for finding the time to write Tony! i will be sending you a pm in the next day or 2 mate if thats ok??
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to proper advice needed plz:
    Hi guys I need some serious help. I have absolutly no idea how to stop myself going on tilt after losing a big hand or after suffering a couple of bad beats, and its completly ruining the game for me! I was playing nl100 tonight and lost quite a big pot around £340 i think-I hit trips on the flop he has the overpair, money all ends up in the middle and then im done on the river as he makes his set. fair enough its part of the game it happens. so i go for a cigarette and decide to leave that table and jump upto nl200 and after being at the table for around 15mins ive only gone and managed to bluff my stack off! now firstly im not rolled for nl100 anymore and absolutly no-where near rolled for nl200 so losing over £350 in a couple of hands hurts me!-its a week wages to me! ... im not a bad player, i suppose u could say im a winning player as ive made quite a tidy sum from poker in the year or so ive been playing, i have my leaks, but don't we all?  but my one of my biggest problems is bankroll management i can 2 table nl30 for an hour or 2 but then get so bored as i crave the bigger money and move up. sometimes it works out, but when it don't and i lose a couple of pots i tilt so bad, I suffer from tilt so much!! ive now done my normal trick of clearing out my poker account withdrawin everything and told myself 'i aint playin this ****** game anymore' lol  but within a couple of days my poker addiction will get the better of me and ill be reloading again! so if anyone can think of anything to help me exercise proper bankroll management and anything to stop me tilting then plz speak up! I don't personally think there is too much wrong with my actual game (sure some ppl will disagree lol) obviously im no Phil Ivey, but I feel on my day I can mix it with the best of em! however until i can sort myself out im never ever gonna be anygood at this game! as havin all the little different tricks and funky moves in your locker is absolutly no use at all if: A) I can't grasp the concept of bankroll management! and B) tilt everytime i lose a big hand! any advice would be really appreciated, thanks - Andy  
    Posted by Eagle26
    DOGS AND KIDS COST MONEY WHEN PUNCHED !

BUT PUNCH BAGS ARE CHEAP .

INSTRUCTION 1

HANG PUNCH BAG CLOSE TO LAPTOP OR PC.

INSTRUCTION 2

KICK AND PUNCH THE BBBBBB  JEZZZUSSSSSSS OUT IT ,

IF YOU FEEL TILT COMING ON .

INSTRUCTION  3

WHEN ONE HAS NO ENGERY LEFT ,

RETURN TO POKER GAME .

ENJOY LOL !

• edited May 2010

I dunno if any of you guys play/have played snooker - but its WAYYYYYYYYYY more frustrating that poker.

Every committee meeting down the local I was asking for a punchbag next to the firedoor near the snooker table.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to proper advice needed plz : DOGS AND KIDS COST MONEY WHEN PUNCHED ! BUT PUNCH BAGS ARE CHEAP . INSTRUCTION 1 HANG PUNCH BAG CLOSE TO LAPTOP OR PC. INSTRUCTION 2 KICK AND PUNCH THE BBBBBB  JEZZZUSSSSSSS OUT IT , IF YOU FEEL TILT COMING ON . INSTRUCTION  3 WHEN ONE HAS NO ENGERY LEFT , RETURN TO POKER GAME . ENJOY LOL !
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    How about purchasing a cat?  Every bad beat you can re-create that advert with the blindfolded footballers in ur house!  

Seriously, Eagle what u will need to remember when u do come back is that the poker will be very different at the lower levels if ur gonna start there.  If u say that u tilt easily, then the lowest levels may tilt u quickly if u get outdrawn by players calling without correct odds.