You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Inconsistant Buy-ins.

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
How are the Buy-ins decided for the turnaments?

They seem to be very inconsistant with regards to the Prize Pool.

I've seen a £100 Holdem NL with a buy-in of £22, right next to a £900 Holden NL with a buy-in of £5.50.

Same starting chips and same blind limits.

It's same with BHs.

Similar inconsistanceies are all over the place.

Can anyone please explain.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Inconsistant Buy-ins.:
    How are the Buy-ins decided for the turnaments? They seem to be very inconsistant with regards to the Prize Pool. I've seen a £100 Holdem NL with a buy-in of £22, right next to a £900 Holden NL with a buy-in of £5.50. Same starting chips and same blind limits. It's same with BHs. Similar inconsistanceies are all over the place. Can anyone please explain.
    Posted by JohnnyX
    The amounts that you quote are the "guaranteed" prize pools for those events.
    Sky put guarantees on some tournaments to promote them and try to achieve a bigger field.
    Typically, these guarantees are reduced or removed if the fields do not justify it since Sky Poker would have to provide an "overlay" - i.e. they would make a loss on running the tournament.

In the £22 buy-in I guess that Sky Poker are worried that it would be a small field (i.e. less than 5). Of course, if the field is larger than 5 players then the prize pool goes up, e.g. if 10 people entered the prize pool would be £200 pounds.

For the £900 event, I guess that Sky Poker are confident of getting at least 180 runners. £900 seems an odd amount so my guess would be that it started as a £1000 event when it was first scheduled but has not been getting large enough fields to justify that guarantee.