You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can come one explain a few things to me.

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat

Befor i start sorry for all the question lol

Is it standard stuff to raise on the button? and if so what sort of hands do you want to be raising with and how much by?

What do people mean by rake back?

And why when it is a split pot one person will get 1p less then the other? is it due to the cash for points?
Because i went heads up on a 2p/4p table, both sat down with £4 and i won the lot of him but i only had £7.75 i think it was, Does sky poker take these pennies?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    in simplistic terms a button raise can be seen as the standard play, you can do it with any hand and 3 to 4 BB's should be enough to take down the blinds.

However now for some caveats.

Button raising is situational. Again in simplistic terms, if no one else has entered the pot before it gets to the button, then you are in an ideal position to riase the blinds no matter what your cards are.

If the action has been raised before it gets to the button, then the situation has changed. Depending upon the raise and the player concerned and the level of blinds, it may be wiser to fold or just call.

If their have been limpers int eh pot before it gets to the button, then again teh situation has changed. Again dependant upon players, stack sizes and blind levels, 1 or 2 limpers you may decide to put in a button raise, even with a trashy hand, the more limpers in a pot the higher your raise should be on the button, thus you may not bother with the trashier hands as your commitment is so much higher.

If you raise every time you are on the button, others will get wise to it, and thus you also need to be selective when making those moves. if the blinds start to defend against your raises then your hand selction criteria has to change. same if you are unable to make a button raise for a few rounds, especially if you have not been active in between as well, others may see you as being tight, thus a button raise with 7 2 off can be justified.

as for the level of raise, I have to admit I always go for 3 bb, plus the number of limpers, no matter what hand I have. Most button raises are designed to steal whats already in the pot, so if you play a premium starting hand exactly the same as a trashy hand, then its strength is disguised.

One final point you need to be aware of your image. as an example

say you raise from teh button 4 times running with trashy hands, then the fifth time you get Aces, play it exactly the same as you did the 4 previous handsas hopefully by then the other players wont give you the credit for having a hand and will consider that you are making another blind steal.

Likewise, if you are dealt aces 4 times in a row when on the button, and make a standard button raise,you may consider yourself as playing tight and making standard plays but others may consider you a loose button riaser, thus the chances are you are more likely to get called, so you need to be aware of your own play and how that is perceived by others.

I'm sure others will have more specific advice in respect of the button.

I cant comment in respect of the cash side of your questions, hopefully someone else who plays cash will be able to explain that for you

Aski :)

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Can come one explain a few things to me.:
    Befor i start sorry for all the question lol Is it standard stuff to raise on the button? and if so what sort of hands do you want to be raising with and how much by? What do people mean by rake back? And why when it is a split pot one person will get 1p less then the other? is it due to the cash for points? Because i went heads up on a 2p/4p table, both sat down with £4 and i won the lot of him but i only had £7.75 i think it was, Does sky poker take these pennies?
    Posted by shaun09
    Every cash game you play online a % of the pot is taken away as "Payment" to the site. I think Sky use 5%. Rakeback is something that was introduced to give something back to the regular players (Sky use cash for points), basicly there will be a record of how much rake each player has paid and at the end of the month the site give them a % back, ever player can get different amounts back depending on what deal they are on, for example I believe Full Tilt pro's get 100% rakeback. Some get up to 50% back but standard I think is about 10-20%.

The odd penny that you see in split pots, is if the pot size cannot be split exactly in half as you can't have a half a penny. The player that gets the extra penny is the player sat to the left of the dealer (out of position) as it is thought they were in a harder position so deserve more back.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Can come one explain a few things to me.:
    In Response to Can come one explain a few things to me. : Every cash game you play online a % of the pot is taken away as "Payment" to the site. I think Sky use 5%. Rakeback is something that was introduced to give something back to the regular players (Sky use cash for points), basicly there will be a record of how much rake each player has paid and at the end of the month the site give them a % back, ever player can get different amounts back depending on what deal they are on, for example I believe Full Tilt pro's get 100% rakeback. Some get up to 50% back but standard I think is about 10-20%. The odd penny that you see in split pots, is if the pot size cannot be split exactly in half as you can't have a half a penny. The player that gets the extra penny is the player sat to the left of the dealer (out of position) as it is thought they were in a harder position so deserve more back.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I never knew this!!! You do know some things then ;)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Can come one explain a few things to me. : I never knew this!!! You do know some things then ;)
    Posted by phil12uk
    Well thats what happens live, I presume its the same online
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Can come one explain a few things to me. : Well thats what happens live, I presume its the same online
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I always knew that left of the dealer got the extra in a split, but I'd never realised the reason for it before!
  • edited May 2010
     It's the person to the left of the dealer button in a dealt game.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Can come one explain a few things to me. : Every cash game you play online a % of the pot is taken away as "Payment" to the site. I think Sky use 5%. Rakeback is something that was introduced to give something back to the regular players (Sky use cash for points), basicly there will be a record of how much rake each player has paid and at the end of the month the site give them a % back, ever player can get different amounts back depending on what deal they are on, for example I believe Full Tilt pro's get 100% rakeback. Some get up to 50% back but standard I think is about 10-20%. The odd penny that you see in split pots, is if the pot size cannot be split exactly in half as you can't have a half a penny. The player that gets the extra penny is the player sat to the left of the dealer (out of position) as it is thought they were in a harder position so deserve more back.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    full tilt rake back is 27%, other sites offer 30% ish.
  • edited May 2010
    So what if you raise on button after everyone folds and big and small blind calls. When flop comes you dont hit. Do you do a continuation bet, or just check fold
  • edited May 2010
    So what if you raise on button after everyone folds and big and small blind calls. When flop comes you dont hit. Do you do a continuation bet, or just check fold
    Posted by shaun09
    As with most vague situations like these the answer is "It depends", although in your example if you're on the button and have the option to "check" then you'll get to see the turn card for free if you want to.

There are no hard and fast rules it all depends on who's at your table, their image, your own image in their eyes and, often to a lesser extent, what your cards are. Best ides is for you to watch as much poker stuff as you can (have a look at pokertube), read some books, watch some SkyPoker, and browse the forum and see what hands folk have played and what reasons they have given for their play. 
  • edited June 2010
    As Somerlad said it is very much situational.

Have the blinds called because you have been raising every button, are they loosish players and get involved every pot, or are they tight. What is the texture of the flop. Again what are the blinds and size of the players chip stacks

With no information, I'm probably inclined to make a C bet, especially if the flop has come with two low cards and one card of jack or above, and see what happens from there. a Flushing or straightening flop im inclinded to represent and then re assess if I get another caller.

Its one of those plays that you get a feel for over time, as Somer says check out the poker clinic part of the forum and see what people say on there, watch some of the games on sky and see how people play the button, also maybe play a few cheap SNG's, so that you can practice yourself, and get a feel for when the situation appears right

Aski :)