You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What do you least want to see when you turn over your aces?

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat

Was just wondering which starting hand statistically plays best against pocket aces.

As all of the other top starting hands race so poorly against pocket rockets, I was wondering whether suited connectors would be what you would least want to see if the money is all in pre-flop -Admittedly, this scenario is highly unlikely pre-flop.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    It's either 6-7 suited or 5-6 suited. I can't remember.
  • edited June 2010

It is DEFO KK.........I have lost 3 times on the bounce with AA v KK!!! Not sure of the stats.

I think it was because I was not playing 'proper' poker though :)
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: What do you least want to see when you turn over your aces?:
    It's either 6-7 suited or 5-6 suited. I can't remember.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    Statistically, they have the same chances to win the pot outright; both are 22.87% to win the pot (if they are a different suit to the aces).
    87s has the same odds on the odds checker that I used but I think that it should be fractionally less. Any other higher suited connectors aren't quite as good due to the fact that your opponent may make a better straight if you make the low end of the straight or, for any lower connectors, two of the aces that would make some of your straights are not available.

There are also chances for a split pot if 4 of a kind and an ace come on the board and if a straight such as 89TJQ comes on the board. For this reason 56 is fractionally better since there are marginally more split pots!

Compare this to 18.55% for KK where both kings are different suits to the aces.

Hands like 56s are known as "ace crackers" but, as you can see, you are still drawing pretty thin.
  • edited June 2010
    The other 2 aces.
  • edited June 2010
    The other 2 aces.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    last time that happened the donkey slow rolled me...
    then i watched my m8 playing in a mtt and 2 players got it all in pre AA v AA... the guy slow rolled the uva... whyyyyyyyyyy do it?!!
  • edited June 2010

With aces i hate to see every hand except for A+other card because i leave them with 3 outs needing to hit two of them, thats a relax, any others and i know they have 6+ cards to hit twice if suited then that is massivly added and connecting that adds too. Its why i hate aces so much. 

Statistically ive found 56 suited to be the most likely to crack.

• edited June 2010
    With aces i hate to see every hand except for A+other card because i leave them with 3 outs needing to hit two of them, thats a relax, any others and i know they have 6+ cards to hit twice if suited then that is massivly added and connecting that adds too. Its why i hate aces so much.  Statistically ive found 56 suited to be the most likely to crack.
    Posted by The_Don90
    1. lol if 2-3% is massive...

2. is this a joke?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: What do you least want to see when you turn over your aces? : 1. lol if 2-3% is massive... 2. is this a joke?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    1. I meant for example, they have T K diamonds, and say the flop comes Tc Jd 5d, my opponent now has 2 Tens to hit, 3 kings, 9 diamonds (8 if one of my aces is a diamond)

2. No i just never liked aces much, found that i lose with them 50% of the time and win 50% of the time so it feels like just any normal hand to me.
  • edited June 2010
    Lots of people they don't win much with aces, which is obviously untrue- if you go in heads up, they will hold more often than not- fact. If you go in 3 or 4 handed, they will hold up 50% or less of the time- also an obvious fact. If you get a lot of callers with aces, you have to be able to drop the hand if you don't hit it- because it's still only a single pair.

You're probably forgetting all those times you get aces and bet, and everyone folds. The problem with aces is disguising the strength, but still getting a customer- you need to get lucky and hope they have a premium hand too, otherwise they're wasted.

It's a well known fact in poker (and, in fact, in life) that we remember all the bad and none of the good. We forget the times our aces hold and we crack other aces, but the times when our aces are cracked we remember always. If you actually go back and look at how many times you REALLY lose with aces, I bet you it's less than 50%- and if it isn't, you need to seriously look at how you're playing them, because that's probably where your problem lies. :)
  • edited June 2010

my laptop crash