You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Student overdraft? - wounded!

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat

Over the last year, since leaving uni, Ive been building a pretty decent poker bankroll. Ive been weary of the student over-draft I had (1.5k) - This is the card I have registered on sky, so whenever I withdrew, Id take it straight out of one bank, and into my other bank with another company.

They'll never crack on!!! - I cant pay them off If I haven't got anything!!

Anyway all going along nicely, poker bank account moving up quite rapidly lately.

Just reporting in on the forum the results for my May bankroll challenge = + £1,476 !

Ten minutes later the post comes.

"I'm sure you are aware DOHH, your student overdraft terms are coming to an end. You don't have to worry, we will take care of everything for you. Some small alterations to your account are noted below"

"Fees will be charged on any arranged overdraft to the sum of £1 per day"

B***ax!!!

So there goes the months bankroll challenge profit - gone. I'm gutted!!! Absolutely gutted.

:(

Comments

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Student overdraft? - wounded!:
    Over the last year, since leaving uni, Ive been building a pretty decent poker bankroll. Ive been weary of the student over-draft I had (1.5k) - This is the card I have registered on sky, so whenever I withdrew, Id take it straight out of one bank, and into my other bank with another company. They'll never crack on!!! - I cant pay them off If I haven't got anything!! Anyway all going along nicely, poker bank account moving up quite rapidly lately. Just reporting in on the forum the results for my May bankroll challenge = + £1,476 ! Ten minutes later the post comes. "I'm sure you are aware DOHH, your student overdraft terms are coming to an end. You don't have to worry, we will take care of everything for you. Some small alterations to your account are noted below" ... .... ....... "Fees will be charged on any arranged overdraft to the sum of £1 per day" B***ax!!! So there goes the months bankroll challenge profit - gone. I'm gutted!!! Absolutely gutted. :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    That does suck dohhhhh and i sympathise cos i hate banks and o/d's with a passion. They think they can charge what they like!

but when the o/d is clear, you dont have to worry about it anymore. They would always have chased you later on down the line anyway!

I am sure you will continue to make loads of wonga anyway so its only a minor set back m8

onwards and upwards innit

• edited June 2010
    unlucky mate!-gutted for ya! strange this has happened after we were talkin about this the other day!. Like Greg said though they would always have chased you further down the line anyway!..  you will prob have this money back in a couple of weeks from the tables, and after its paid at least you aint gotta worry about it again!...chin up mate
  • edited June 2010
    Luckily I have another year to go - but still unlucky m8 but you knew the day had to come and at least now it's over and done with
  • edited June 2010
    terrible  injustice isnt it , actually having to pay back money that u owe .....unbelievable !!
  • edited June 2010
    Best to pay it off if you can afford to.

Don't, repeat DON'T be tempted if they offer you a ''managed loan'' to replace the overdraft. It will cost you a fortune.
  • edited June 2010

In Response to Re: Student overdraft? - wounded!:
    Luckily I have another year to go - but still unlucky m8 but you knew the day had to come and at least now it's over and done with
    Posted by dylan12
    Whaaaaat how do u manage that??? Ive only been finished a year!!!

Ive got my account straight back into positive figures.......but keep my o.d facility at a cost of £1 a day if I ever use it.

Sucks tho, thought theyd ask for it back maybe £500 at a time.

No loans Alan dnt worry about that!! lol
  • edited June 2010
    I think I remember my bank saying I get interest free for 3 years after graduating.  That £1 a day thing is wierd, get an o/d on your other (non student) account and pay the interest and itl almost definatly be less. 
  • edited June 2010
    I have had my overdraft since I finished my degree in 2006 and still has £1500 facility on it with no interest charge :) Aint gonna rock the boat about it tbh but would rather pay it back when given the chance - which won't be for a bit lol
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Student overdraft? - wounded! : Whaaaaat how do u manage that??? Ive only been finished a year!!! Ive got my account straight back into positive figures.......but keep my o.d facility at a cost of £1 a day if I ever use it. Sucks tho, thought theyd ask for it back maybe £500 at a time. No loans Alan dnt worry about that!! lol
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    My overdraft is free, although i rarely use it, i can go up to £600 O/D. I only keep it cos its free and its good if a direct debit comes out like my electric bill i forgot about lool.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm confused .......

It should cost you nothing to have an overdraft facility (but, there may be an annual arrangement fee depending on which bank you use). Any charges should only be levied on the use of the facility. If they are saying they will charge you £365 a year just in case you go overdrawn, kick them into touch. I would get clarification on what they are saying.
  • edited June 2010
    BANKS ARE BASTA_DS FULL STOP.
  • edited June 2010
    £1 a day if you stay in your limit.
    Go over and its £5 a day.

I am fighting my bank atm!
  • edited June 2010

Mr White thats exactly what the letter said....

£1 day within, £5 day over....

How come Ive only had 1 year then??????????
  • edited June 2010
    £1 a day if you stay in your limit. Go over and its £5 a day. i am fighting my bank atm!
    Posted by MrWh1te
    well that wont help beating up the cash machine.
  • edited June 2010
    fake your own death
  • edited June 2010
  • edited June 2010
    Shouldn't be betting with money you don't own, amount of students these days all heading for a dead end with these loans.

All about running your own business, don't think Branson, Sugar, Gates had too many degrees to their name!.

Good luck with financing your poker whilst managing your debt, I hope you have a big win fall, risky game pal.
  • edited June 2010
    "Just reporting in on the forum the results for my May bankroll challenge = + £1,476 !"

What a shame ;) Imagine being £1,500 up and having to pay back your Student overdraft :p

How the hell did you get so much profit anyway? I know you're a good player but hardly anyone plays on tables where the blinds are bigger than 1,50/3???

• edited June 2010

The month before was double that PKR ;)

Unfortunately this month is only 3 days old and I'm already -200 :(

Than for the replies everyone. Just to clarify, I have paid off my 1.5k overdraft in 1 go, I had 2 months to do it, before they started charging me fees of £1 per day, for every day I ended the day in overdraft...

I knew this was going to happen eventually, my poker bank account with another bank is very healthy, but the point I am making, is that it is a good job it is!!

What if I was skint? as I haven't worked since graduating? 

Im sure loads of my old mates from uni will have struggled to find work, and will be reading the same letter?

I expected them to start asking for money back, maybe £500 every 6 months or something, but not 1.5k at once, OR ELSE,.....

I wish I had 3 years to get it paid  too :(
  • edited June 2010
    "Just reporting in on the forum the results for my May bankroll challenge = + £1,476 !" What a shame ;) Imagine being £1,500 up and having to pay back your Student overdraft :p How the hell did you get so much profit anyway? I know you're a good player but hardly anyone plays on tables where the blinds are bigger than 1,50/3???  
    Posted by PKRPar
    You don't need to play £1.5/£3 blinds to make £1476 in a month. I've made 5 figures without going higher than £1/£2 all month!
  • edited June 2010
    The month before was double that PKR ;) Unfortunately this month is only 3 days old and I'm already -200 :( Than for the replies everyone. Just to clarify, I have paid off my 1.5k overdraft in 1 go, I had 2 months to do it, before they started charging me fees of £1 per day, for every day I ended the day in overdraft ... I knew this was going to happen eventually, my poker bank account with another bank is very healthy, but the point I am making, is that it is a good job it is!! What if I was skint? as I haven't worked since graduating?  Im sure loads of my old mates from uni will have struggled to find work, and will be reading the same letter? I expected them to start asking for money back, maybe £500 every 6 months or something, but not 1.5k at once, OR ELSE,..... I wish I had 3 years to get it paid  too :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Just be glad you were in a position to pay it off in a oner and you won't have to have it on the back of your mind again.

Lol at PKR wondering about how you could win 1.4k or whatever without playing bigger than 1.5/3.

Folk who play that can win that and more in a good session let alone a month.
  • edited June 2010

In the words of Big Chris from Lock Stock (see 2m 10 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UmJS5ZSQqE

• edited June 2010
    I owe the banks, well too much, who cares they'll never get it. :)