You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Looking for some advise please guys!

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
Okay guys, some of you may well no me from the forum here, i havent been around for a while. Im not ashamed to admit it my bankroll i was playing on finally went bust around 3months ago and since then due to work and other commitements i havent been playing at all. I am just looking for advise? Should I take the game back up? What games should i be looking to play etc.... any advice or comments are more than weelcome and i thankyou in advance for taking time to reply! Much appreciated, Mick

Comments

• edited June 2010

Play on another site. To many muppets here now. Loads of sick bad beats. Oh yeh if your not a high roller you have no voice.

Apart from that welcome back, hope your bankroll lasts.

• edited June 2010
    Firstly welcome back Mick, sorry to hear about the bankroll it happens to us all, and  there are far better people than me who will go on and mention bankroll management.

Given that you have come on the forum and asked the question, I think you already know what answer you are hoping for, with regards to taking the game up. If you werent interested you wouldnt have posted.

So what you need to ask yourself, is why do you want to come on here and play poker. Is it to have a little bit of fun, and maybe make some pocket money at the same time. Or do you want to try and make some serious money and mix it up with the big boys on here.

If its for a bit of enjoyment, then don't play every night, try and be selective maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Ive no idea what level you played at before or are hopign to play at now, but stick £10 on here, and play 2 or 3 £1 MTT buyins a week. next week deposit another £10, and do the same again. This way you are increasing your bankroll steadily, even if you don't cash, hopefully having some enjoyment at hopefully very little cost. If you cant afford £10 a week try £5 a week, so then even if you think that the level you are playing at is more down to luck than skill, at least you have a method of slowly building your bank roll up, to play at a level that you prefer and more importantly can afford to play at, just take it slowly.

Alterantively deposit £10 a month and play 1 or 2 small buy in Mtt's  a week. You then arent risking much, nor are you tempted to to play with money you cant afford to lose. If you win some cash all well and good, but firstly get back to enjoying playing the game.

I'm sure others will come on with more suggestions for you, but whatever you go for I wish you the best of luck

Aski (Col)
  • edited June 2010
    Hi Mick.
    Welcome back to the forum, thought I recognised the name. Can you tell us what levels and bankroll you had prior to going bust. Also did you play mainly cash, DYMs or Mtt's?

Did you play for pleasure or for money? 

If you decide to invest another bankroll in sky poker, how much would it be? this will help the forum members decide and advice you what type of game and levels they think you should be playing at.

Was there anything in particular that you think might have bust your bankroll like moving up levels too early or did you just have a lengthy downswing in your game? All of these points will help us to give you some sound advice and hopefully get you back on track and mostly just enjoying the game again.

Pokertrev.
  • edited June 2010
    I started with £50 last time and was playing 2p 4p on the cash tables and also playing some 2.25 DYM and the odd MTT for around £5 maybe once a week as a treat! I grinded my way up to about £200 and at that point i made maybe a big mistake, firstly i decided to take £100 out leaving my bankroll at £100, then i moved up a level, i played steadily at this level for a while but then i think i thought i was better than i was (infact this is definatly true) I tried out for a sponsorship on one site - needless to say i didnt impress enough for the sponsorship, and then after this it all went downhill, I lost all my bankroll - i know i should have dropped back down a level but i was just looking to make money quickly - another amateur mistake! Since then i have had no internet connection and havent been able to play!

I am probably looking to deposit a little less this month (after all it is the world cup and no doubt the odd football accumulator and a few beers will be in order) so i am saving some spare cash back for that. I would love to play somewhere inbetween playing for fun and playing for serious cash, ie looking to double up my bankroll maybe once every 2 months or something, and then hopefully maybe 5-10 years from now maybe i could play for some serious cash like the more experienced players on here! After all i am only 21. I hope this information can maybe help you guys lay about with a few options and help in offering me advice,

Cheers guys!
  • edited June 2010
    Hi mick.
    Well you did very well in the "Take on Tikay" tourny last night with a very good and well desrved 2nd place against Diggerman who was awsome last night.

I think you have answered a lot of your own questions and mine, so where do we go from here? Well obviously you now have a bankroll you can work with but seriously don't make the same mistakes as before.

I don't like like 2p/4p tables and to be honest you have far too much experience for that level. I suggest starting on the 4p/8p cash tables and going on the grind for a full month. If all works out and you are grinding out a profit move on to the 5p/10p tables.

There's not much difference in the play between the 4p/8p and the 5p/10p tables to be honest and I also prefer to play on the mastercash tables. Just the thought of playing badly and it being shown on the TV seems to improve my game no end and you are less likely to come across a hit and run player.

If you are going to enter any Mtt games I would suggest the Deepstacks and ones similar to the "Take on Tikay" because they have better blind structures (12mins). Mtts can use a lot of your bankroll up if your not cashing in them so choose them wisely.

I usually set myself a minimum bankroll. For instance if I set myself a minimum bankroll of £100 and it falls below this, then I don't usually enter mtts until I grind it back up again. If you can grind enough to enter 3 mtts a week and one main 8pm event then thats your goal. If things are not going so well in the bankroll department then stay clear of the mtts. Afterall we don't want to go bust.

How soon you move onto higher levels is very much dependent on how you can consistently grind up your bankroll. Again set yourself a minimum bankroll for each level and if drops below that then move back down levels.

It is a very big mistake to move up levels to try and get a quick fix for a big loss.

Control Your Bankroll - Don't Let it Control You!!!

Anyway good luck on the tables m8y and I hope some of the other forum members who play on the cash tables will also be able to help and advise you better than I can.

Pokertrev.