You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Looks like Rio is OUT!!!!

edited June 2010 in The Football Corner
Sources say that Rio Ferdinand will miss the World Cup.

Not a massive blow (imo) but who will wear the armband.

Must be a 2 horse-race between Frank Lampard and Stevie Gerrard. Surely.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Would be surprised if he gave sha*ger the armband back and I could actually see Stevie Gerrard lifting the trophy.
  • edited June 2010
    Ooo I have a bet from ages ago for either Lampard or Gerrard to be captain in England's first WC game.

from ages ago when Terry had it taken from him.

hope it's true.
  • edited June 2010
    I would give it straight back to JT! I think King is the best central defender we have so IF he is  up to it physically it should not be to much of a problem.
  • edited June 2010
    Gutted for Rio, he's 31 - his last world cup as a player, and his only chance to captain England at a World Cup, and this happens.

Agree with E.E tho, not a massive blow. 

Give it to Stevie, let him play off the front, and inspire a normally un-inspired England team to victory!

Blessing in disguise :)

Ul Rio tho....lol
  • edited June 2010
    ****Confirmed on SkySports News**** Rio OUT. Michael Dawson heading for SA tonight. Ledley King must be a certainty to partner JT.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Looks like Rio is OUT!!!!:
    Gutted for Rio, he's 31 - his last world cup as a player, and his only chance to captain England at a World Cup, and this happens. Agree with E.E tho, not a massive blow.  Give it to Stevie, let him play off the front, and inspire a normally un-inspired England team to victory! Blessing in disguise :) Ul Rio tho....lol
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think Dohhhhhhh is bang on the money again. If Stevie G gets the armband I bet England are backed in at least half a point.
  • edited June 2010
    I think Stevie G will get it although personally I'd give it back to JT.

I suppose the real question is who'll partner JT at the back now? I think it might go to Upson purely cos he's got more international experience but tbh (& this might surprise a few given I'm a hammer) I'd rather it go to King or Dawson. Upson has been awful all season & as pained as I am to admit it, King & Dawson have done really well.
  • edited June 2010
    No great loss. He hasn't had a good season and Scott Parker would be a better option. He's more passionate, not as arrogant and cocksure as Ferdinand, and more importantly, more reliable. Lampard for captain though. Gerrard plays better when he doesn't have that responsibility.
  • edited June 2010
    FA have just confirmed it.

Have to agree with EE and DOHHHH and whoever else have said it, can't say I was devastated when I heard. Feel sorry for him but he's no Rooney (in terms of how important a player he is for us).

Stevie G will be Captain by virtue of being Rio's Vice Captain.
  • edited June 2010
    Gerrard will get it as he was vice captain, disagree with all those who say this isnt a big blow, rio hasnt been on form this season but him playing at 75% is better than any of the back ups we have playing at 100%.  Ouf of the donkeys we have left it has to be upson the only one with any experience.

Im just wishing i hadnt got the wife to book off any potetnital quaterfinal/semi/final dates of work we got no chance
  • edited June 2010
    If Ledley King holds up, then all will be well. If he doesn`t then Dawson will be a fine deputy, I do not fancy Upson much though. FWIW I think that Rio was going to be targeted as a weak link by teams who knew his fitness was suspect. As Dohhhhhhh says....it could be a blessing in disguise. This is where a 23 man squad comes into its own.

Best centre half on current form.....LEDLEY KING. Time it gets to the group stages I think Rio will not be missed as much as you think. King/Dawson alongside Terry would be as good as any Centre Half pairing in the comp.

I think the footballing gods will smile on England come kick-off.

This is not an anti Man U post either....A 100% fit Rio Ferdinand is as good as a centre half gets.
  • edited June 2010
    If Ledley King holds up, then all will be well. If he doesn`t then Dawson will be a fine deputy, I do not fancy Upson much though. FWIW I think that Rio was going to be targeted as a weak link by teams who knew his fitness was suspect. As Dohhhhhhh says....it could be a blessing in disguise. This is where a 23 man squad comes into its own. Best centre half on current form.....LEDLEY KING. Time it gets to the group stages I think Rio will not be missed as much as you think. King/Dawson alongside Terry would be as good as any Centre Half pairing in the comp. I think the footballing gods will smile on England come kick-off. This is not an anti Man U post either....A 100% fit Rio Ferdinand is as good as a centre half gets.
    Posted by emilyegg
    It wont be dawson tho will it? Upson got in the squad over him so surely he will start before dawson does? Also if teams were gonig to be targeting rio because of his fitness wont they be donig the same to king? I just cant see past the Mexico game where they made it look like he played for a non league team.  King played 3 good games in a row and has been hailed the best thing since sliced bread.  A little bit like Zamora, how many goals did he get all season? yet everyone was saying how fantastic he was and should be in the team.
  • edited June 2010
    Again its all about opinions. King is playing out of his skin, Dawson the same. Upson is a bit of a bombscare (imo)

King may be targeted too, but if his fitness holds up he will cope with the likes of Torres, Villa et al (what odds for a MOM award along the way).

England as an OFFENSIVE team will be worrying the life out of EVERYONE and this will be key to success. Alongside a Top-Drawer coach and Tactician, the squad contains....

Full backs who can run all-day....the drive of Frank Lampard and Stevie Gerrard, Rooney (who again imo) will be targeted by the hammer throwers to null his threat....more than ample wide-players to supply the ammo....Heskey and Crouch if it needs to be mixed up a bit. YOU ALL NEED TO STOP BEING SO PESSIMISTIC.

ENGLAND CAN WIN THIS.

• edited June 2010
    Ive gone into every major torunament since i was 8 believing we could win it and we havent.

This is the first time I dont think we will win it so lets hope im wrong again.

Ill try and be less pessimistic COME ON ENGLAND :)

Gareth

p.s. England havent been backed in 1/2 a point gone from 6/1 to 7/1 with sky bet
  • edited June 2010
    After the group stages England will be a Joint-Favourite (at worst)

6/1 is a wee-bit skinny (imo) but come Kick-Off in their first game, I think you will be LUCKY to get a much bigger price.
  • edited June 2010
    well gerrard is captain
  • edited June 2010

really dont know why lampard is picked every time for england games, all he does is shoot miles off target in every game and loose posetion because of it, way to overated and would of liked him to stay home im affraid so def not my choice for captain.

• edited June 2010

Not watched many major tournaments, as only 23, but so many times, in the big games (the seaman Brazil game imparticular) - Ive been sat watching England Huff and Puff to try and blow the defence down. There has always seemed to be a lack of spark and inspiration, nothing to come off the bench and change things, no plan B, and most importantly, no-one to get the team together, get em going, grab the game , and change it!

Even Beckham couldnt do it on the big stage - the moment against Greece in the qualifiers  was the sort of moment Im thinking of here.

Stevie Gerrard does it season after season for Liverpool

Also, he's sort of got the captaincy by de-fault, he's kinda free-rolling. He's in S.A now, away from all the media pressure and expectation that comes with the position, all he has to think about is football - its worked out perfect for him.

Maybe these are the perfect circumstances for a special player to finally go and perform on the biggest stage of all.

Gotta admit, I'm alot more excited about the World Cup now, than I was yesterday.

• edited June 2010
    Not watched many major tournaments, as only 23, but so many times, in the big games (the seaman Brazil game imparticular) - Ive been sat watching England Huff and Puff to try and blow the defence down. There has always seemed to be a lack of spark and inspiration, nothing to come off the bench and change things, no plan B, and most importantly, no-one to get the team together, get em going, grab the game , and change it! Even Beckham couldnt do it on the big stage - the moment against Greece in the qualifiers  was the sort of moment Im thinking of here. Stevie Gerrard does it season after season for Liverpool Also, he's sort of got the captaincy by de-fault, he's kinda free-rolling. He's in S.A now, away from all the media pressure and expectation that comes with the position, all he has to think about is football - its worked out perfect for him. Maybe these are the perfect circumstances for a special player to finally go and perform on the biggest stage of all. Gotta admit, I'm alot more excited about the World Cup now, than I was yesterday.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If Gerrard makes liverpool excell season after season why are they always so poor in the league? along with that this has to be the poorest season gerrard has had in years.  The bookies have got it right and made us bigger odds towin it.

Just read that james missed training yesterday do to an injury niggle, upson has a fever and king isnt doing full training today hes doing gym work, and theres still a week before its even starts!!
  • edited June 2010

Yah but thats consistant over 38 games.

The world cup isnt over 36, games, and the best team, doesnt always win (unlike a premier league season)

Im talking 1 off games (QF, S  F, Maybe even a final), individual moments of inspiration.

2 moments which spring to mind, The goal in the last minute against Oympiakos,,,,,when Andy Gray went mental.lol

And obviously the biggest game in club football, or as Mourinho said recently, the biggest game in football full stop - The champions league final, where his team were 3-0 down at half time, and inspired the most amazing sporting comeback that Ive ever seen.

Sure theres loads more, where he's stood out from the rest, and pulled his team through.

Hopefully he gets to play his best position now - he will rise to it! :)
  • edited June 2010
    After Heskey takes out Rio in training, Gerrard had better watch out Heskey wont stop until he is made captain!
  • edited June 2010
    Personally, i don't think that losing Ferdinand is that big a deal! The guy has been plagued by injury all season, and when he has played it looks like he's lost a yard of pace compared to when he was at West Ham and Leeds. I also think it was the wrong decision to make him captain because IMO the captain should be a steadying influence on his team as well as a leader, and Rio doesn't fit either criteria. Think the armband has gone to the right guy (but only cos he wouldn't give it straight back to JT). Gerrard is a revelation in a mediocre team at Anfield, and i believe that is through his passion that Liverpool finished as high as they did this season. If he left Liverpool i could see them doing a Leeds, and disappearing off the big stage.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm actually quite pleased at the loss of Rio! IMO he has always been weak at international level and is not a good reader of the game, being caught woefully out of position on many occasions! As for a replacement, Ledley King is the obvious choice on recent form but he lacks pace and, personally, I would go with Jamie Carragher! He has a new-found fire and confidence about him that others seem to lack.
    As for the captaincy, Rio shouldn't have been made captain in the first place! Gerrard is the right man for the job, although JT will still be in charge on the pitch, I think!