You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Crippled Confidence

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
How do you deal with a lack of confidence?

I was playing in a live game last Monday and was hit hard by a hand I thought I was winning, but ended up being crucified.

It was early in a MTT. The starting stack was 1500, and I had 2500. Blinds were 50/100. In middle position I was holding Ac Kd. It was folded to me so I raised 300. It folded to BB (1200) who had a long think, then called. Flop: 3h 4d 3c. BB checked. I put out a continuation bet of 300. BB called. Turn: Ks. BB checks. I had top pair, top kicker. I had no idea what he had. I bet 600. BB pushed all-in. I called. 3d 4h. Full house.

That hand knocked me for six. My confidence was knocked so bad I folded KK to a min bet pre-flop about forty minutes later and I couldn't get back into the game.

How do you deal with that kind of a shock to the system and come back strong?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I think you need to put things into perspective mate.  If it is true that you used to be a leper, that mustve been far worse than busting out of a mtt.  If getting your AK bust by 3,4 gets you down like that evry time, I would give the game up, as it is going to happen time and time again

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Crippled Confidence:
    I think you need to put things into perspective mate.  If it is true that you used to be a leper, that mustve been far worse than busting out of a mtt.  If getting your AK bust by 3,4 gets you down like that evry time, I would give the game up, as it is going to happen time and time again
    Posted by OMahonyO
    I prefered being a leper, to be honest. At least I had a steady income. Damn that Chris Ferguson. He just touched me on the head and said "You're cured, mate". Took away my livelyhood. Bloody Do-Gooder!

I think the reason the hand got to me was because I was certain I had him beat. At the end of the day, though, I guess he just out played me.
  • edited June 2010
    It's all about the mindset that you have after such a hand.

In Phil Gordon's Little Green Book he says that after losing a big hand you should treat it as if you've won the hand, say to yourself "well done on that nice double up", use this to get your head back in the right place after a lost hand or a bad beat, that's what i've used live and i believe it works.
  • edited June 2010
    I like that. Reverse psychology on myself. I'll give it a try next time.
  • edited June 2010
    I suppose being an ex leper at least now you dont just throw your hand in. :)