You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

****** NOW RESOLVED, DETAILS IN FIRST POST ***** Double Your Money - blatent collusion/chip dumping

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi Gary

You have reported it to customer care now, so let them investigate and sort it out. This sort of thing will happen occasionally, unfortunately, but unless anyone reports allegations through the proper channels, as you have done, then nothing will be done.

You have done the right thing by a) contacting customer care, and b) not naming those concerned, now all you should do is leave it to sky customer care to investigate and sort it out.

i don't see the benefit of posting this thread tbh, but i do understand your annoyance at this situation as you and many others may have been penalised by these 2 players' actions, and that is not on, regardless of what level of buy in.

good luck, hope it gets put right soon

hoggers

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Update; 

After an investigation by Sky my suspicions have now been confirmed. Action has been now taken against the two players who are the subject of this thread, it ensures that they will no longer be able to cheat at the tables. Collusion is very rare, but if you ever do spot suspicious patterns of play please do the same thing as me; alert customer care.

In an earlier thread I said I didn't think players would stoop so low as to collude in low buy-in DYMs. However, yesterday I saw such a blatent case that I'm sad to report that I have completely changed my mind. I know the forum isn't a place to make accusations, so I reported this matter to customer care immediately, they are investigating and I won't be naming anybody here. But I can assure you that I wouldn't have created this thread unless I was 100% sure I'm right.

The two players involved have sat in a series of low buy-in (£1 to £5) DYMs together, they have played apart in the past, but they only play DYMs together at the moment. Their technique is to wait until the bubble, then repeatedly raise and re-raise against each other, forcing everybody else out of the pot, but they never actually get as far as showdown, they take it in turns to win the pot (including any chips put in by their 2 remaining opponents) by folding to each other. Sometimes (as in the hand below) once everybody else is forced out of the pot one of them will just fold, even when it's free to check. The two players involved are from seperate towns, but they are just a few miles apart. Once an opponent gets so short stacked that he/she is forced to go all-in both of the colluders call, even with junk, at that moment their re-raising suddenly stops and they check all streets to the showdown to make sure its 2 vs 1.

Before the victim in this game was eliminated I asked these two in the chatbox if they were chip-dumping, they denied it initially, but once the bubble had burst (just the 3 of us remaining at the table) player1 gave me a one word answer; 'yes'.

Here is a typical hand where player 1 blatently dumps 1100 chips to player 2, nicely evening up their stack sizes. There were many hands like this in succession. When this hand was dealt their victim only had 850 chips, therefore he/she could only call the bet if prepared to go all-in against 2 big stacks (3 stacks if I called too);
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    GaryQQQ Small blind  100.00 100.00 1925.00
    player1 Big blind  200.00 300.00 5270.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • K

player2 Raise  1000.00 1300.00 2655.00
    victim Fold     
    GaryQQQ Fold     
    player1 Call  800.00 2100.00 4470.00
    Flop

• K

player1 Fold     
    player2 Muck     
    player2 Win  2100.00  4755.00
  • edited June 2010
    As you know Gary, the same happened to me in a £2 DYM Omaha game when it was 4 handed.

Reported to Sky, and while they said the play was extremely "Odd", there was no history between the 2 players so nothing could be done.

I now avoid this player like the plague.
  • edited June 2010
    My motive for posting this thread is to make others aware that this sort of thing does happen, and what to look out for. The more players watching out for these tell-tale signs, and then reporting suspicious play to customer services, the less likely it is that any colluders will get away with it for long.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money - blatent collusion/chip dumping:
    My motive for posting this thread is to make others aware that this sort of thing does happen, and what to look out for. The more players watching out for these tell-tale signs, and then reporting suspicious play to customer services, the less likely it is that any colluders will get away with it for long.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    fair point, but we do wish to enjoy poker, we dont want to be constantly looking out for possible chipdumping, colluision etc...

Sky will also have their own monitoring procedures and software to track any unusual patterns and detect fraud, so i dont think we need to worry too much about this.

well done for spotting the above situation and for dealing with it the right way

• edited June 2010
    *Grabs popcorn and waits for Tikay to turn up*
  • ckdckd
    edited June 2010

gary im sorry i was dumping chips mate  but you did not need to report me

i was just trying to help orford out ( he needs it ) lol

all joking aside i see this a fair bit as i play alot of dym best thing to do if you get it is ..... ill pm you later as dont want to give away secrets but it does work against these sort
  • edited June 2010
    If they get found guilty of collusion they will be banned for 1 week lol. Then they will come back, you will meet one of them at the tables and they will call you a grass... brilliant.
  • edited June 2010
    I saw a player in a MTT once say "brb I need a dump"

should I have reported it?
  • edited June 2010
    I saw a player in a MTT once say "brb I need a dump" should I have reported it?
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    can you report yourself?
  • edited June 2010
    sit-down toilets are only permitted during breaks.
  • edited June 2010
    not sure what the rules are on soiling yourself whilst playing.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money - blatent collusion/chip dumping : can you report yourself?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    everyone knows I have no need to leave my seat for that.
  • edited June 2010
    The tomatoes speak for themselves Blackfish3
  • edited June 2010
    If they get found guilty of collusion they will be banned for 1 week lol. Then they will come back, you will meet one of them at the tables and they will call you a grass... brilliant.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    For the record, because people read stuff & are inclined to believe it, that is NOT a factual statement.

As to being called a "grass", well thats primary school playground stuff, but doing the right thing - reporting suspected collusion - is absolutely, 100% the right thing to do. If brain-deads then want to be daft & make puerile comments, ("grass") so be it.

It must be said that collusion is VERY hard (almost impossible, in fact) to "prove beyond reasonable doubt" from a single instance, so multiple examples are needed to ensure it is indeed happening.

We must also be very careful never to pre-judge these matters, as many did a week or so ago on this Forum, when so many players got so ahead of themselves on the "Multi-Accounting" Thread, only to eventually realise that nothing whatsoever was amiss. The finger was pointed, the accusations flew, it was disproven, but not one person apologised for presuming guilt. 

Do as thy will be done. ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Why would you post such utter twaddle?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money - blatent collusion/chip dumping : Why would you post such utter twaddle?
    Posted by MereNovice
    my thoughts exactly, i know the answer, but i cant post it here

im sick of such mindless posts actually, they are posted to get a reaction
  • edited June 2010

oo look, another bandwagon to jump on

• edited June 2010
    *Grabs popcorn and waits for Tikay to turn up*
    Posted by YoungUn
    lol
  • edited June 2010
    i seen something similar and another event was a player went all in 23 off against AK, right at the begining of the tourny needless to say it was odd

seen another episode where someone hit trips and another person hit a a straight and no one betted !!!
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    please don`t report me, i forgot to have my enima before i started, at least i had my cafiter in ?
  • edited June 2010
    Update; 

After an investigation by Sky my suspicions have been confirmed. Action has been now taken against the two players who are the subject of this thread, it ensures that they will no longer be able to cheat at the tables. Collusion is very rare, but if you ever do spot suspicious patterns of play please do the same thing as me; alert customer care.
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    i`ve already sorry, forgot too have enima, at least i had cafiter in
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money - blatent collusion/chip dumping : For the record, because people read stuff & are inclined to believe it, that is NOT a factual statement. As to being called a "grass", well thats primary school playground stuff, but doing the right thing - reporting suspected collusion - is absolutely, 100% the right thing to do. If brain-deads then want to be daft & make puerile comments, ("grass") so be it. It must be said that collusion is VERY hard (almost impossible, in fact) to "prove beyond reasonable doubt" from a single instance, so multiple examples are needed to ensure it is indeed happening. We must also be very careful never to pre-judge these matters, as many did a week or so ago on this Forum, when so many players got so ahead of themselves on the "Multi-Accounting" Thread, only to eventually realise that nothing whatsoever was amiss. The finger was pointed, the accusations flew, it was disproven, but not one person apologised for presuming guilt.  Do as thy will be done. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    well i reported 2 guys for collusion, sky gave me a ring and told me they were indeed colluding and had been suspended, got my money back etc... week later i see one of them on my table calling me a grass lol. Not much of a punishment for collusion...
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money - blatent collusion/chip dumping : Why would you post such utter twaddle?
    Posted by MereNovice
    errr because that's what happened to me...
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money - blatent collusion/chip dumping : my thoughts exactly, i know the answer, but i cant post it here im sick of such mindless posts actually, they are posted to get a reaction
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    PM me the answer then...