You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A Scotsman's opinion on your WC chances.

edited June 2010 in The Football Corner
1st of all, 6/1 is a terrible price Sky. But I understand why you have to.

Were it not for the terrible price I'd be tempted. I think you've the best chance you've ever had in my lifetime and good luck to you. It's a myth that us Scots all hate you.

I don't fancy any of your keepers for various reasons. Your weak point.

I think you're very strong across the back. Cole's superb. As is Ferdinand. Terry's a tad slow and overated IMHO but probably capable. And I don't know who you play at LB.

Midfield is as good as any in tourney. Absolute (not true, sky deemed my original word innapropriate) that SG and FL can't play together. A half decent manager could play them together and you've got a very decent manager. I can see SG coming very good.

Up front you have Rooney. Form of his life and been given a wee rest from a Scottish manager! Seriously, if he can stay fit he could win this tournament for you.

The heat : I've heard differnt reports? Apparently it's fairly European? Could be a factor, I'm not sure.

It's wide open. My money's going to be on Brazil I have to say. But this is the first time in my lifetime I've thought England capable.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Good Post Bandini. This IS Englands best/most realistic chance to win it for a while.

Got this nagging feeling they will do a Henman though and crash out in the Q-F.

OR COULD CAPELLO BE THE DIFFERENCE????

I still think they are at least a striker short and are missing a trick by not playing Rooney in behind a front 2.
    I am sure this is where he played in Euro 2004, and was impossible to mark out of a game.

Agree that 6/1 is a bit short but I suppose most teams are a bit of a short price in their own countries.

8 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2010
    David James has been given the number 1 jersey, if that means ehs gunna start there goes our chances of winning it.

I can see us crashing out in the first knock out game, i pray im wrong, i really do.
  • edited June 2010
    for me as another scot its down to Rooney and Capello and prob more capello. Yer best chance in my lifetime and dn to the manager
  • edited June 2010
    not good enough yet to win it......
  • edited June 2010
    Perhaps Terry could ask his dad to provide him with speed.

sorry just my little joke.

I agree and I am Scottish best chance in a long time and I hope they do win.

6/1 is a very poor price in a tournament with the quality of this one.
  • edited June 2010
    RF a big, big loss. The only world class defender in the middle of your defence? And he's gone? Sorry, but I just don't rate Terry. And who's beside him? Ledley, hardly a Barcelona target, and only fit for one game a week, King? Scary times.

Best of luck, but I wouldn't back youse at 66/1 never mind 6/1 now. That's no keeper and no centre defence. Still a brilliant front core but can Gerrard and Rooney really out perform Spain and Brazil on their own? It's possible but a long shot.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to A Scotsman's opinion on your WC chances.:
    1st of all, 6/1 is a terrible price Sky. But I understand why you have to. Were it not for the terrible price I'd be tempted. I think you've the best chance you've ever had in my lifetime and good luck to you. It's a myth that us Scots all hate you. I don't fancy any of your keepers for various reasons. Your weak point. I think you're very strong across the back. Cole's superb. As is Ferdinand. Terry's a tad slow and overated IMHO but probably capable. And I don't know who you play at LB. Midfield is as good as any in tourney. Absolute (not true, sky deemed my original word innapropriate) that SG and FL can't play together. A half decent manager could play them together and you've got a very decent manager. I can see SG coming very good. Up front you have Rooney. Form of his life and been given a wee rest from a Scottish manager! Seriously, if he can stay fit he could win this tournament for you. The heat : I've heard differnt reports? Apparently it's fairly European? Could be a factor, I'm not sure. It's wide open. My money's going to be on Brazil I have to say. But this is the first time in my lifetime I've thought England capable.
    Posted by bandini
    Apologies, but I kinda called the keeper thing right. Even if he's dropped that puts huge pressure on his successor. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Stevie G looked good.

Rooney looked superb but you can't rely on him and SG alone?

You should still walk the group but it doesn't bode well?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Scotsman's opinion on your WC chances.:
    In Response to A Scotsman's opinion on your WC chances. : Apologies, but I kinda called the keeper thing right. Even if he's dropped that puts huge pressure on his successor. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Stevie G looked good. Rooney looked superb but you can't rely on him and SG alone? You should still walk the group but it doesn't bode well?
    Posted by bandini
    The one thing us Scots have over the English. Goalkeepers. Wev've got two that would probably walk into that England team.

Apart from that i have to agree with you. This is Englands best chance in my short lifetime. I missed the game yesterday but i think a strike force of Rooney and Defoe would almost be impossible for most defences.

Isnt Ashley Cole a left back? Not sure on the right back situation these days for the English side. However again as youve said a good back line. Have to agree with you on the Terry front.

Midfield. Superb midfield, one of the better ones in the tournament, i think now that you have a natural left winger in Ashley Young (not sure if hes been selected) he could do something for England.

Also if they come up against Brazil or Argentina i think Capello should take a note out of Scotlands book, play a 4-5-1 with a defensive midfielder. Carrick would be brilliant to mark someone like Messi. And both Rooney and Defoe have all the capabilites of being a sucsessful loan striker.

Thats another humble Scotsmans opinion.
  • edited June 2010
    Good posts, and sound knowledge.

Bang on about England offensively, definitely got the staff to do the business and agree that Carrick should be deployed as a holding midfielder. Got 2 full backs in Cole and Johnson that can run up and down the flanks all day so why not put Crouch and Defoe up front together and have Rooney in the free role behind the front 2. He has wreaked havoc in this role before....do not understand it.......