You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Aggresive play...

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
Seems to me the only style that can work these days?

I'm a total amatuer but I've tried to read up. Harrington's books are an absolute god-send when it comes to analysing what's happening. But I think he'd get wiped away by most players these days? He's tight in the extreme and that sh't just don't work anymore?

I tried tight-aggressive but when everyone's loose it can't win? They'll suss you out and fold to all your raises. It's a game of physcology rather than a game of cards these days? Was it ever anything but? You need to move with the times. But math still must be important? Maybe?

I read Hansen's book and good as it was I think it would read better if he published every hand he folded too. Would be interesting.

By f#ck it's a complicated game. Just as well I'm clever....

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I have just finished a 32 person BH were everyone seemed aggresive so I just played trappy and let them do the betting for me! It worked, I won. The only sure thing in poker is that their is no sure thing!
  • edited June 2010
    its never that straight forward, it depends on the table and so on

I have been on a table where its tighter than a vacum and some where its so lose, people are literally only using the all in button

you just gotta learn how to adapt
  • edited June 2010

Don't have a game plan before you sit down, unless uve been watching the table for a while.

Just sit, and see how it goes.

Btw, with all the talk about style and reads....

Has anyone tried the strategy of just simply "playing your cards?

Forget all the technical stuff - bet/raise/call/fold as your hand suggests you should?

ie - royal flush - raise
       - 3 high - fold 

???

They are the 2 extremes obviously - with all the talk/study about playing a particular style and deceit, maybe the most obvious/sensible of them all could be successful.

I know a couple of mid/high stakes players who do this, 1 imparticular, and he's V successful.

• edited June 2010
    Dohx7 sums it up really. How you play depends on different factors. Aggression seems to be the desired ability nowadays but it has to be accompanied by skill. Being aggressive alone won't work.

Personally I like playing against aggressive players. The players I fear are those who can change gear, and know the optimal time to do so.
  • edited June 2010
    I AGREE, WATCHIN DOHHH PUT DOWN THAT AK LAST NIGHT PRE FLOP WAS AN EYE OPENER.I AM SURE THAT WAS DOWN TO THE QUALITY OF PLAYERS ON THE CASH TABLE AND NOT A PRE SET OUT PLAN. THE ABILITY TO MIX YOUR GAME UP AND KEEP PEOPLE GUESSING IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN BEING SUPER TIGHT OR SUPER AGGRO. PHIL
  • edited June 2010
    It's probably a fair point that Harrington strategy is bit out-dated these days at the high-stakes level, but his advice still holds up very well at at lower stakes (ie most of the games on Sky) IMO.

Often the over aggresive bingo-style players sitting in at low stakes tables are fresh in from free-play poker games like Facebook, where the aggression is absolutely ridiculous, often there at least half the table will get all-in every hand. If you've got a good game you can usually pick them apart, the old addage that you should tighten up on a loose table and loosen up on a tight table still holds true.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Aggresive play...:
    I AGREE, WATCHIN DOHHH PUT DOWN THAT AK LAST NIGHT PRE FLOP WAS AN EYE OPENER.I AM SURE THAT WAS DOWN TO THE QUALITY OF PLAYERS ON THE CASH TABLE AND NOT A PRE SET OUT PLAN. THE ABILITY TO MIX YOUR GAME UP AND KEEP PEOPLE GUESSING IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN BEING SUPER TIGHT OR SUPER AGGRO. PHIL
    Posted by pod1
    +1 pod pretty much said everything i was going to say lol
  • edited June 2010
    Ahhh the ace king hand, after weighing everything up, I decided I had to pass...

Had a really solid player opening from under the gun.

I then had a very loose player 3 betting on the button.

I could pretty much put Fab on a range of hands, and obviously it's a 3 bet if Tommy Folds. Tommy is as likely to be raising with 56 there as he is, ace ace.

James said Tommy could be doing that with any 2 cards, of course, but these any 2 also include JJ - QQ - KK an AA! - even tommy has a hand sometimes!! - and I know that Tommy knows that Fab isn't raising light under the gun, which makes it more likely Tommy has a proper hand (but also still very possibly cud have 3 high)

So likewise, if fab folds, and Tommy opens, again, easy 3 bet.

We were 150xbb deep, and I had the best seat on the table, on Tommy's left, I just thought it would be a mistake/gamble to get involved 4 betting out of position against a volatile opponent. (with the tight utg raiser thrown into the equation)

Who knows, maybe it was a mistake, what do you guys think?
  • edited June 2010
    Ahhh the ace king hand, after weighing everything up, I decided I had to pass... Had a really solid player opening from under the gun. I then had a very loose player 3 betting on the button. I could pretty much put Fab on a range of hands, and obviously it's a 3 bet if Tommy Folds. Tommy is as likely to be raising with 56 there as he is, ace ace. James said Tommy could be doing that with any 2 cards, of course, but these any 2 also include JJ - QQ - KK an AA! - even tommy has a hand sometimes!! - and I know that Tommy knows that Fab isn't raising light under the gun, which makes it more likely Tommy has a proper hand (but also still very possibly cud have 3 high) So likewise, if fab folds, and Tommy opens, again, easy 3 bet. We were 150xbb deep, and I had the best seat on the table, on Tommy's left, I just thought it would be a mistake/gamble to get involved 4 betting out of position against a volatile opponent. (with the tight utg raiser thrown into the equation) Who knows, maybe it was a mistake, what do you guys think?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I thought you'd nodded-off  :o)
  • edited June 2010
    I'm only a novice on low stakes sit & go's, but 'just playing your cards' seems to be the only way to consistantly get paid.
  • edited June 2010
    Ahhh the ace king hand, after weighing everything up, I decided I had to pass... Had a really solid player opening from under the gun. I then had a very loose player 3 betting on the button. I could pretty much put Fab on a range of hands, and obviously it's a 3 bet if Tommy Folds. Tommy is as likely to be raising with 56 there as he is, ace ace. James said Tommy could be doing that with any 2 cards, of course, but these any 2 also include JJ - QQ - KK an AA! - even tommy has a hand sometimes!! - and I know that Tommy knows that Fab isn't raising light under the gun, which makes it more likely Tommy has a proper hand (but also still very possibly cud have 3 high) So likewise, if fab folds, and Tommy opens, again, easy 3 bet. We were 150xbb deep, and I had the best seat on the table, on Tommy's left, I just thought it would be a mistake/gamble to get involved 4 betting out of position against a volatile opponent. (with the tight utg raiser thrown into the equation) Who knows, maybe it was a mistake, what do you guys think?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Nothing wrong with your play m8, you went with your gut and it was wrong this time but there we go, no big deal. As I told you last night - I re pop in that situation and even though tommy raises with any 2 cards - he is a good player and does know how to fold and he would have folded to you imo. Therefore if you wanted to trap then a smooth call may have been better but that may draw in other villain and it geets complicated then, - re pop Tommy and take the £6/7 quid in the middle ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

JJ

It was an awkward spot for you.  The thinking behind my three bet was:  Isolate Fab, get information on what Fab is Open-Raising with UTG, Take control of the hand.  If you four bet there I fold, even if Fab flats.

Looking at it from where you are it's very difficult.  I don't like the flat, mainly because I still have control of the hand and I have position on you.  If you and then Fab flats then I am no longer playing AJ, in fact as I'm now putting you and Fab on AQ/AK as well as middle pairs and I know an Ace on the flop alone is no good.  I'm sat on the button and if we get an uncoordinated Q high or lower board I know I am favourite to take the pot.

If you raise and then get repopped my Fab you probably have to fold.  A raise really either wins the pot then or burns whatever you've put in the middle from your 4-bet.

Folding AK in your spot JJ is perfectly acceptable, in fact it's a mark of a good player to understand he can find a much better spot.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Aggresive play... : JJ It was an awkward spot for you.  The thinking behind my three bet was:  Isolate Fab, get information on what Fab is Open-Raising with UTG, Take control of the hand.  If you four bet there I fold, even if Fab flats. Looking at it from where you are it's very difficult.  I don't like the flat, mainly because I still have control of the hand and I have position on you.  If you and then Fab flats then I am no longer playing AJ, in fact as I'm now putting you and Fab on AQ/AK as well as middle pairs and I know an Ace on the flop alone is no good.  I'm sat on the button and if we get an uncoordinated Q high or lower board I know I am favourite to take the pot. If you raise and then get repopped my Fab you probably have to fold.  A raise really either wins the pot then or burns whatever you've put in the middle from your 4-bet. Folding AK in your spot JJ is perfectly acceptable, in fact it's a mark of a good player to understand he can find a much better spot.
    Posted by TommyD

The question is Tommy - WWHD?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Aggresive play... :  The question is Tommy - WWHD?
    Posted by dylan12
    Only he can answer that ..... or can he? After all it's random, isn't it?
  • edited June 2010
    WWHD?

Check call ;)