You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A few quick questions about Omaha H/L

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
GLASGOW RANGERS!!!!!!!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I've only recently started playing this and have been flirting with the heads up tables. I've been fortunate/unfortunate enough to be playing heads up with some very good players and have had mixed fortunes. I just have a few questions which it'd be great if some of you could answer for me.

How strong is the 2nd nut high hand against multiple players? How about heads up?

How strong is the 2nd nut low hand in against multiple players? How about heads up?

Finally, should you ever play just for the low hand?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm not sure that I can give you good answers to these questions but I'm quite happy to provide some random ramblings.

How strong is the 2nd nut high hand against multiple players? How about head up?

It depends. The most important consideration here is what betting has taken place and the texture of the board. Generally, in a multi-way pot, if I had the nut high, I would bet it very strongly. This is definitely the case if it is a unique nut high. The reason for this is the opportunity to quarter (or better) multiple opponents who may call with the nut low. So, if no-one has been particularly aggressive in the betting on the river, a call can often be good with the 2nd nuts. If there has been a bet and a re-raise on the river, I would tend to laying down the 2nd nut high.
    Heads-up, I would call any river bet with the 2nd nut high and possibly raise depending on my opponent. Opponents often bet low hands (with no decent high at all) very strongly in order to win the entire pot rather than splitting. Betting the 2nd nut high aggressively may also have the benefit of getting your opponent off an average low hand.
    As in all poker, knowing your opponent(s) is the most critical aspect of this.

How strong is the 2nd nut low hand in against multiple players? How about head up?

It depends. Many of the points about nut high apply. However, it is much more common for people to have the nut low hand. This is for two main reasons. Firstly, there are just more possible ways of making the nut low so it is just a matter of simple maths. Secondly, good Hi-Lo players tend to play more hands which will qualify for the nut low.

Finally, should you ever play just for the low hand?

It depends. Generally, it would be considered good play not to do this. The reason being that, if you have no likely best high hand, you are only putting money in the pot hoping to get it back. Sometimes you will miss your low draw and hence it is obviously -EV. However, if you are drawing to a low hand that may scoop the pot, then it can be beneficial to play these types of hands - even aggressively. Again, knowing your opponents is important since you need to consider the likelihood of getting paid if you hit your hand and the chances of getting your opponent off his high hand if you bet aggressively, i.e. what are your chances of "scooping" if you hit your hand.

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A few quick questions about Omaha H/L:
    I'm not sure that I can give you good answers to these questions but I'm quite happy to provide some random ramblings. How strong is the 2nd nut high hand against multiple players? How about head up? It depends. The most important consideration here is what betting has taken place and the texture of the board. Generally, in a multi-way pot, if I had the nut high, I would bet it very strongly. This is definitely the case if it is a unique nut high. The reason for this is the opportunity to quarter (or better) multiple opponents who may call with the nut low. So, if no-one has been particularly aggressive in the betting on the river, a call can often be good with the 2nd nuts. If there has been a bet and a re-raise on the river, I would tend to laying down the 2nd nut high. Heads-up, I would call any river bet with the 2nd nut high and possibly raise depending on my opponent. Opponents often bet low hands (with no decent high at all) very strongly in order to win the entire pot rather than splitting. Betting the 2nd nut high aggressively may also have the benefit of getting your opponent off an average low hand. As in all poker, knowing your opponent(s) is the most critical aspect of this. How strong is the 2nd nut low hand in against multiple players? How about head up? It depends. Many of the points about nut high apply. However, it is much more common for people to have the nut low hand. This is for two main reasons. Firstly, there are just more possible ways of making the nut low so it is just a matter of simple maths. Secondly, good Hi-Lo players tend to play more hands which will qualify for the nut low. Finally, should you ever play just for the low hand? It depends. Generally, it would be considered good play not to do this. The reason being that, if you have no likely best high hand, you are only putting money in the pot hoping to get it back. Sometimes you will miss your low draw and hence it is obviously -EV. However, if you are drawing to a low hand that may scoop the pot, then it can be beneficial to play these types of hands - even aggressively. Again, knowing your opponents is important since you need to consider the likelihood of getting paid if you hit your hand and the chances of getting your opponent off his high hand if you bet aggressively, i.e. what are your chances of "scooping" if you hit your hand.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Thanks for your insightful reply buddy. You've definitely given me something to think about. I've found these hands particularly tricky to handle in the learning curve i'm on just now. Thanks again.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A few quick questions about Omaha H/L:
    GLASGOW RANGERS!!!!!!!
    Posted by BlackFish3
    WATP!!