You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Literature

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
I'm relatively new to the poker scene and have never really read much on the game apart from a few articles here and there.

Would appreciate any recommendations from anyone who has digested any decent books.

Hopefully i'll see some of the same ones mentioned - then i'll go and hunt them down.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I found Super System 2 to be quite inspirational at times. I really need to start reading it again.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker Literature:
    I found Super System 2 to be quite inspirational at times. I really need to start reading it again.
    Posted by FILIPSEBO

I found Super System and Super System 2 to be a bit 'meh', as far as hold'em is concerned then Harrington writes about all the same underlying concepts - but in a more well written manner.

Similarly with the other poker variants in the the Super Systems, if you want to know about them it's probably better to look for books just on those subjects.
  • edited June 2010
    Theory of poker, david sklansky.
  • edited June 2010
    The Harrington books are a good place to start for newish players, no complicated maths or off putting jargon, very well written. They improved my game and would probably improve yours too.
  • edited June 2010
    For richer, for poorer by Vicky Coren.

Will not help you play in the slightest, but is probably one of the best books written about the subject from a players point of view. You won't be able to put it down as its superbly written book.

As is the standard reponse when answering this question, look no further than Harrington on Poker vol 1, I think its fair to say that this book will undoubtly improve your game as it has the countless million other people that have read it.
  • edited June 2010
    Gus Hansen 'Every Hand Revealed'. He documents every hand he played when he won Aussie millions and talks about his thought processes in the situations he was put in, found this really helpful for tourneys (even for some of the questionable hands). 

Read Harrington Volumes 1 to 3 first though as already suggested or at least 1 and 2.

I also found 'Hold Em Poker for advanced players' - David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth a useful read.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker Literature:
    Gus Hansen 'Every Hand Revealed'. He documents every hand he played when he won Aussie millions and talks about his thought processes in the situations he was put in, found this really helpful for tourneys (even for some of the questionable hands).  Read Harrington Volumes 1 to 3 first though as already suggested or at least 1 and 2. I also found 'Hold Em Poker for advanced players' - David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth a useful read.
    Posted by FishBone

They're good books but the OP started with, "I'm relatively new to the poker scene..." so 'Hold Em Poker for advanced players' (or 'Every Hand Revealed' realistically) might not be the best books to start with.

Harrington for the fundamentals followed by Sklansky's Theory of Poker would be my suggestion to start with, and Vicky Coren's book for a non theory book.

After that then there's these one's and I'd probably add Hellmuth and Navarro's Read'em and Weep if live tournaments were going to start figuring and a grounding in tells was needed.