You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice needed please.

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
Im off to vegas in a week or two, and just wondered if anyone could give me some advice about exchanging money?

Is it best to exchange it all now in england, or will i get a better exchange rate the longer i wait?

If i draw money out over there will i be charged? or  is that bank dependant?

Also im planning on playing a few side events at the wsop, caesers and venetian. Can i pay for these direct from my bank card or do i have to pay cash?

I know i went last year but i have forgot absolutley every thing!!!

If anyone could shed some light on any of the above it would be much appreciated as im a donk! lol

Comments

• edited June 2010
    One piece of advice I would begin with Dan is to make sure you advise your bank/credit card company that you are about to go abroad and may be using machines in the states.

We forgot to do this the year before last and the bank took it opon themselves to stop all our cards and freeze our accounts because of "unusual activity" after we'd cashed some money downtown on our first night.

This despite the fact that we've been to Vegas at least once a year for the past 6 or 7 years.

So last year we pre-warned them and had no problems at all.

........that's where my expertise stops I'm afraid....Mrs B is the real brains of our outfit!
  • edited June 2010
    I`M SURE TK WILL BE ABLE TO ADVICE YOU, AND BEST WISHES, HOPE WE ALL GET UPDATED WHILE YOUR OVER THERE AND IF YOU CASH ( SORRY WHEN YOU CASH ) I TAKE IT DRINKS WILL BE ON YOU !
  • edited June 2010
    you will be charged if you draw money
    I took a dollar credit card from Thomas Cook (?) which I pre loaded with dollars. Used this for none gambling costs and to get cash if needed. You can call them to top up also. I think it was free to do this, but it comes from your current account in the UK.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Advice needed please.:
    Im off to vegas in a week or two, and just wondered if anyone could give me some advice about exchanging money? Is it best to exchange it all now in england, or will i get a better exchange rate the longer i wait? If i draw money out over there will i be charged? or  is that bank dependant? Also im planning on playing a few side events at the wsop, caesers and venetian. Can i pay for these direct from my bank card or do i have to pay cash? I know i went last year but i have forgot absolutley every thing!!! If anyone could shed some light on any of the above it would be much appreciated as im a donk! lol
    Posted by dantb10
    If only you won one of those Sky Poker packages hey mate.......they could advise you as part of their team!

Lol.......  :))))
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Advice needed please.:
    Im off to vegas in a week or two, and just wondered if anyone could give me some advice about exchanging money? Is it best to exchange it all now in england, or will i get a better exchange rate the longer i wait? If i draw money out over there will i be charged? or  is that bank dependant? Also im planning on playing a few side events at the wsop, caesers and venetian. Can i pay for these direct from my bank card or do i have to pay cash? I know i went last year but i have forgot absolutley every thing!!! If anyone could shed some light on any of the above it would be much appreciated as im a donk! lol
    Posted by dantb10

alrightttttttt   m8yyyyyyyyyy  dont rub it in lol !
  • edited June 2010
    dan - i am a currency broker for one of the biggest fx retailers in the country. there are a few options open to you which i would be happy to discuss but what ever you do avoid retails rates. If you are exchanging thousands which i imagine you are you should set up a private account with someone. you can then have funds wired over to the US at a much much better rate. you can also get pre paid currency cards which get you a better rate and avoid carrying cash. you then use these cards to draw your money from atm machines FOC!

if i can be any more help do not hesitate to shout as i could put you in touch with someone in that area.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Advice needed please.:
    dan - i am a currency broker for one of the biggest fx retailers in the country. there are a few options open to you which i would be happy to discuss but what ever you do avoid retails rates. If you are exchanging thousands which i imagine you are you should set up a private account with someone. you can then have funds wired over to the US at a much much better rate. you can also get pre paid currency cards which get you a better rate and avoid carrying cash. you then use these cards to draw your money from atm machines FOC! if i can be any more help do not hesitate to shout as i could put you in touch with someone in that area.
    Posted by Small_Dog
    cheers mate,

i just been looking at currency cards, isnt there a limit as to how much you can put on?

also, is there a daily limit to what you can withdraw from atm's?

thanks again!
  • edited June 2010
    Not sure of all the exact details but I am sure I heard on TV with HSBC you can get foreign currency commission free up to £2k.

And they are the worlds local bank, so maybe go in one of their branches and let them know what your doing and they might sort you out an account.
  • edited June 2010
    here is a link and promo code you may find useful www.moneycorp.com/vip promo code: p499 Max amount on the card is €7,500/$10,000. ATM withdrawals are limited to around £300, depending on the machine operator.

Probably no good.

You may be better opening a USD account and wiring yourself funds over. I am sure the saving on rates will make the hassle worthwhile and then you wont have restrictions on withdrawals.

• edited June 2010
    I know it's not in line with your original question Dan but I know there's a tax form you have to fill out.  I remember reading a very interesting article two or three years ago about Brits and Aussies who, while still playing in a Tourney but after the cash bubble, were asked to go to the cash desk to sort out their tax status in the middle of play.  Us Brits do not have to pay the tax but you need this form all filled out to stop them potentially interrupting your game.  Can't remember which one this is but if you ask Tikay or Sky_Claire I'm sure they'll know, or if you did this last year it may still apply.
  • edited June 2010
    I know it's not in line with your original question Dan but I know there's a tax form you have to fill out.  I remember reading a very interesting article two or three years ago about Brits and Aussies who, while still playing in a Tourney but after the cash bubble, were asked to go to the cash desk to sort out their tax status in the middle of play.  Us Brits do not have to pay the tax but you need this form all filled out to stop them potentially interrupting your game.  Can't remember which one this is but if you ask Tikay or Sky_Claire I'm sure they'll know, or if you did this last year it may still apply.
    Posted by TommyD

you can fill this form out at the cage before you play if you're that hopeful of winning, doing it after takes longer and they will obviously be happy for you to play table games before all the paying outs finished!!!

be careful carrying cash into and out of america, there are tonnes of stories on tpt with people getting delayed, detained, having money taken for them being a few dollars over the 10k cash limit. 

surely just bank transferring the money to the cage of the hotel you are staying at is the easiest thing to do ?
  • edited June 2010

hi dan,

i work for a company that is involved in foreign exchange.... you might not know that the rate of exchange that your credit card uses is probably better than you will get at any foreign exhange dealer.  so check to see if your credit card compay charge you abroad, last i knew only nationwide and post office do not apply any charges.  a prepaid card is a good idea as it too limits loss if stolen.... even so the rate of exchange will not as good. 

for cash.. shop around as it all depends on amount... but the worst thing to do is likely to be buying currency at an airport (or a hotel reception)

i have all these cards... i take only one credit card on holiday with me.

regards
    rob
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by TommyD
    Yeah i had to do this last year, i still have the papaerwork, not sure if ill have to do it again or use same tax code.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Advice needed please. : you can fill this form out at the cage before you play if you're that hopeful of winning, doing it after takes longer and they will obviously be happy for you to play table games before all the paying outs finished!!! be careful carrying cash into and out of america, there are tonnes of stories on tpt with people getting delayed, detained, having money taken for them being a few dollars over the 10k cash limit.  surely just bank transferring the money to the cage of the hotel you are staying at is the easiest thing to do ?
    Posted by beaneh
    Ive read the same stuff and had abit of trouble last year when coming home. It looks like one of these currency cards is going to be the way to go, and just have to top it up as i go.