You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO20 - Do you slow down turn or just bet and get it in?

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
CLIOKID Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £25.49
purplSHEEP Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £29.90
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K
  • J

TommyD Fold        
x Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £96.43
CLIOKID Raise   £1.90 £2.80 £23.59
purplSHEEP Fold        
x Call   £1.40 £4.20 £95.03
Flop

CLIOKID Bet   £4.20 £8.40 £19.39
x
    £4.20 £12.60 £90.83
Turn

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I'd say that, like so many situations, it's very much read dependent on your opponent.

With 11 nut outs, I'd be inclined to bet out again after my opponent only flat called the flop. If he has flopped a set he has chosen a very risky line on that flop.
    However, that flop doesn't look as though it would have hit a pre-flop 3-better (i.e. you're unlikely to hold a set) so he may be waiting for an innocuous turn to spring his "trap".
    However, any sensible bet on the turn pot commits you so you have to call his shove. If he's holding 86xx, that's unlucky.

P.S. Congratulations on getting TommyD and purplSHEEP out of a pot pre-flop.

P.P.S. Don't take anything I say as gospel. A responsible adult may be along soon to comment.

P.P.P.S. 86xx might well be within his range, so perhaps check the turn??? :-)))
  • edited June 2010
      This hand is the perfect example of why i dislike the 3-betting of hands preflop. You have now got yourself into a situation where any decision on the turn will be for your entire stack.

The basics of the situation are easy,you are behind having only A high. Unfortunately merenovice over rated your outs and in fact you only have 9(7 hearts because we have to remove the 5 and 7 .Also the 8c and 8d). So in a nutshell you are losing and are a 4 to 1 dog to win the hand.

With this in mind you have to consider what you want to do with any bet you might make.A pot size bet would be pretty much a bluff hoping to get your opponent to lay down 2 pair type hands, but it is pretty much guarunteed to be called by a set or straight.A check will most probably lead to your opponent firing out a bet at you which will give you another tricky decision to make. As was stated before the board is very unlikely to be hitting your 3-betting range so it will be quite easy for your opponent to put you on a draw at this point anyway.

For me this is a check and fold to any meaningful bet by your opponent,hoping to hit an out on the river.The trickiness of this decisionhas very little to do with your opponent,the board or your hand.It is all as a result of 3-betting out of position. A flat call preflop would have got you here much cheaper and still with a chance of getting your stack over the line if you hit your draws.

There is a feeling in NLHE that calling pre is worse than raising, but in omaha it is a much more acceptable thing to do.This is not a game of bluff and bully but of draws and redraws. The pots will build up quickly enough without all the preflop reraises.
  • edited June 2010
    I did indeed overstate his outs, I was basing it on the flop for some reason; silly me.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: PLO20 - Do you slow down turn or just bet and get it in?:
      This hand is the perfect example of why i dislike the 3-betting of hands preflop. You have now got yourself into a situation where any decision on the turn will be for your entire stack.   The basics of the situation are easy,you are behind having only A high. Unfortunately merenovice over rated your outs and in fact you only have 9(7 hearts because we have to remove the 5 and 7 .Also the 8c and 8d). So in a nutshell you are losing and are a 4 to 1 dog to win the hand.   With this in mind you have to consider what you want to do with any bet you might make.A pot size bet would be pretty much a bluff hoping to get your opponent to lay down 2 pair type hands, but it is pretty much guarunteed to be called by a set or straight.A check will most probably lead to your opponent firing out a bet at you which will give you another tricky decision to make. As was stated before the board is very unlikely to be hitting your 3-betting range so it will be quite easy for your opponent to put you on a draw at this point anyway.   For me this is a check and fold to any meaningful bet by your opponent,hoping to hit an out on the river.The trickiness of this decisionhas very little to do with your opponent,the board or your hand.It is all as a result of 3-betting out of position. A flat call preflop would have got you here much cheaper and still with a chance of getting your stack over the line if you hit your draws.  There is a feeling in NLHE that calling pre is worse than raising, but in omaha it is a much more acceptable thing to do.This is not a game of bluff and bully but of draws and redraws. The pots will build up quickly enough without all the preflop reraises.
    Posted by Talon

What 3 bet % would you be advocating Talon and in what positions/situations would you think it worthwhile?

Are you just 3 betting good AA? Do you never 3 bet AA? Do you 3 bet dbl suited, or rundowns or do you never 3 bet?

In my limited omahahahaha experience I think the 3 bet pre is nearly mandatory without some sick read on the opponent, I would then continue by check calling that flop. As played it depends on your read whether you'd rather bet call or check fold.
  • edited June 2010
      Whereas in NLHE he preflop raise is to show strength and to take control and the betting lead, in omaha it isjust a pot building excercise and to allow for bigger bets on later streets to build up a sizeable pot. The concept of preflop raising and c-betting is what gets most NLHE players into trouble when they play omaha.It is a game that is only really played from the flop onwards.

As to the sort of hands i would contemplate 3-betting with, hands like TJQK double suited where you have 6 nut drawing hands.I am a firm believer in quantity over quality in starting hand selection.All too many times you see raising and reraising preflop to see people turn over a high pocket pair and junk alongside of it.

Pocket pairs on there own are quite worthless unless you can end up with a full house or better.The tendency of a lot of new players is to overplay them and they are quite easy to read and pick off.To show a good example of hands being overplayed i will tell you of a hand i saw recently. Preflop it was 6 and 7 bet to put 3 players allin.The cards were turned over and they were AQJT double suited, AAAK and JJJ7. A perfect example of 2 people completely overplaying bad hands.

The best way to play omaha is though to make all your decisions on the flop and later.Deciding to put your entire stack on the line before seeing a flop is a recipe for disaster. Though of course preflop rasing is important because you do not want to to have total family flops when you are playing the who can get luckiest game.So it is controlled aggression preflop and total aggression post flop.
  • edited June 2010
      Whereas in NLHE he preflop raise is to show strength and to take control and the betting lead, in omaha it isjust a pot building excercise and to allow for bigger bets on later streets to build up a sizeable pot. The concept of preflop raising and c-betting is what gets most NLHE players into trouble when they play omaha.It is a game that is only really played from the flop onwards.   As to the sort of hands i would contemplate 3-betting with, hands like TJQK double suited where you have 6 nut drawing hands.I am a firm believer in quantity over quality in starting hand selection.All too many times you see raising and reraising preflop to see people turn over a high pocket pair and junk alongside of it.   Pocket pairs on there own are quite worthless unless you can end up with a full house or better.The tendency of a lot of new players is to overplay them and they are quite easy to read and pick off.To show a good example of hands being overplayed i will tell you of a hand i saw recently. Preflop it was 6 and 7 bet to put 3 players allin.The cards were turned over and they were AQJT double suited, AAAK and JJJ7. A perfect example of 2 people completely overplaying bad hands.  The best way to play omaha is though to make all your decisions on the flop and later.Deciding to put your entire stack on the line before seeing a flop is a recipe for disaster. Though of course preflop rasing is important because you do not want to to have total family flops when you are playing the who can get luckiest game.So it is controlled aggression preflop and total aggression post flop.
    Posted by Talon

So you wouldn't 3bet AKJTdbs sb vs btn?!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: PLO20 - Do you slow down turn or just bet and get it in? : So you wouldn't 3bet AKJTdbs sb vs btn?!
    Posted by beaneh
    I give up poker if it's not right to 3bet the hand that I did tbh.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: PLO20 - Do you slow down turn or just bet and get it in? : I give up poker if it's not right to 3bet the hand that I did tbh.
    Posted by CLIOKID

lol I just didn't get any sort of reply just the same stuff regurgitated. 

I would 3bet nearly always pre but I think that c/c the flop is probably the best play because as you've seen you get into such icky spots stack size wise when you miss the turn but have the initiative.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: PLO20 - Do you slow down turn or just bet and get it in? : lol I just didn't get any sort of reply just the same stuff regurgitated.  I would 3bet nearly always pre but I think that c/c the flop is probably the best play because as you've seen you get into such icky spots stack size wise when you miss the turn but have the initiative.
    Posted by beaneh
    Yeah.

I just potted turn anyway as it is only 20PLO and villain put me in, he had 789T o/s.

I'm not too fussed for losing 20 quid on that draw as playing beneath the stakes I usually play just wondering what the correct move actually would be.

I was happy to gomble for my 20 with the NFD and gutterball.

:-)