You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My new masterplan

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
Ok, so as ive said before im a tournament player. However after one bad read, bad beat or just a bad fold i seem to go on tilt, the worse the situation or after 4 or 5 i go on serious tilt, and often extremely explosive. One of my friends recently compared me to Phil Hellmuth after one bad beat, he actually said i was worse as i had sent chips flying everywhere(this was a live game) after my opponent hit his one outer, he later reminded me of one time id dished a one outer to another player.

However ive since decided to buy a poker game for the xbox for situations like these and then if i do go on tilt i can come off tilt playing against an AI opponent for free rather than having to lose lose and lose even more.

Im just woundering if anyone else has had similar problems and if they have how they have delt with it.

Comments

• edited June 2010

Here's top tip to prevent you going tilt particularly on SnG's

Keep a diary of your races, noting when the money went in, were you behind or ahead? then note the result of the race. You'll be surprised how pyschologically you forget all those bad beats you dish out particular late on when against a small stack and you're only having your blind doubled to call his all in.

Also it highlights any flaws in your game, I would suggest that if your not getting your money in ahead on at least 80% of the occasions you're all in, particularly preflop, then you need revisit your game.

It's stopped me going for pyschologically tilt even when variance comes round and kicks me up the rump in a major way.

• edited June 2010
    Thanks very much Rage. I would say, since im a very tight player to my experiance (excluding those time when i only need to call a min raise to my blind to call all in) im usually 80-90% of the time ahead, should i get a miss read is the times i miss. But i shall start keeping a diary of my races, big win and big losses.
  • edited June 2010
    One other thing, are you raising enough? I often get people on here ask why I called them on the flop to bad beat them on the turn, and its often that they didn't raise enough to make the pots odds for a flush draw etc unattractive. Often when you're tight, your scared of frightening your customer off as he'll no doubt class you as tight if he's been paying attention but this often means that your giving them equity in the pot to see another card and then boom they hit. You push they either call or come over the top and your left cursing your luck and wondering why he called the flop bet??

This was a hole in my game upto 18 months ago but I stepped up my tempo both in amounts I'll raise if I think he's got a draw and also the starting hands I'll consider betting out with (note betting out, my calling range remains exception tight)

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: My new masterplan:
    One other thing, are you raising enough? I often get people on here ask why I called them on the flop to bad beat them on the turn, and its often that they didn't raise enough to make the pots odds for a flush draw etc unattractive. Often when you're tight, your scared of frightening your customer off as he'll no doubt class you as tight if he's been paying attention but this often means that your giving them equity in the pot to see another card and then boom they hit. You push they either call or come over the top and your left cursing your luck and wondering why he called the flop bet?? This was a hole in my game upto 18 months ago but I stepped up my tempo both in amounts I'll raise if I think he's got a draw and also the starting hands I'll consider betting out with (note betting out, my calling range remains exception tight)
    Posted by ACE_RAGE
    Rage im usually extremely agressive with my big hands, 3x or 4x BB pre flop raise usually 3/4 pot to a pot size bet on the flop (even if i miss with say AK) this often gets most hands to fold. Ive always followed the rule of rather winning a small pot with a big hand than losing a big one with any hand. I do sometimes mix it up by raising with nothing although ill never complain at a beat in that situation.

I also usually bet on any draws i have to control pot size and hopefully even show strenth for if i miss my draw.

I may refer to a hand i had last week sometime, not sure exactly when. i got AA UTG -1 however UTG raises all in so i isolated the pot but shoving over the top. I lost the hand to a four card flush. Since sent me on a spiral down the way, i quickly exited that tournament and entered another. I got AK UTG raised 4x BB and BB called. Flop came down K76 so i bet to put the guy all in, noticing the potential for a straight draw. Although this was a little over the top of a bet i didnt expect to see 79 off suit shown and hit 8T runner runner. This was me for 3 or 4 days before i actually ever recovered to playing normal poker, unfortunetly my bankroll has taken a big slap in those 3 or 4 days and im now having to re-build.
  • edited June 2010
    It sounds like your doing everything ok and its just a sick run on the variance. Just keep plugging away and it'll balance out over the long run. (1000+ games)
  • edited June 2010
    It sounds like your doing everything ok and its just a sick run on the variance. Just keep plugging away and it'll balance out over the long run. (1000+ games)
    Posted by ACE_RAGE
    Thanks Ace Rage. Finally got a game with you so i think youll see my play, playing slightly differnt though since u know my game lol. And yea im only at 500 online games, although probably at 200 live games in my career, although most of them have been free league games
  • edited June 2010
    Just brush it off and move on.
  • edited June 2010
    Just brush it off and move on.
    Posted by BrownnDog

Just play red dead revolver and go shoot people LOTS :-D Then come back de-tilted!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: My new masterplan : Just play red dead revolver and go shoot people LOTS :-D Then come back de-tilted!
    Posted by beaneh
    lol your living in the past bean. red dead redemption no?