You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Three Things I Hate About Satelite Poker

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
1. Shovemonkeys

2. Slow Play Collusion

3. Blowing Up The Bubble

Shovemonkeys
For the first 3 or 4 levels of a satelite to tourny, this is one thing that winds me up the most, you put your bet in and a player after you shoves all in, next decent hand you get you go for the 3 or 4 x BB raise, but still one or even two player after you shove all in again forcing you to fold. So for the first 3 or 4 levels there is not much skilled poker involved and your only hope of survival is the fold button, until all the shovemonkeys have left the building.

Slow Play Collusion
There seems to be an unwritten law that when you are down to the bubble in a satelite or the last two tables, that the best form of play here is to fold to everyone in front of you until the bubble bursts on the other table. Not a word is said in the chatbox, however everyone seems to understand this unwritten law that slow play and folding to those after you is good etiquette. I presume the whole idea of this type of play is to ensure that bubbleboy on the other table goes out first. But I can't help thinking that this may be some type of mass collusion, however, it can only be collusion if two or more players agree to work together with a specific aim. (In this case playing slow and folding until the bubble bursts on the other table)

Blowing Up The Bubble
Again this seems to happen when you are down to the bubble. Slow play and folding as I mentioned above is happening on both tables, however, on the other table, everyone folds to bubbleboy, keeping his hopes of sateliting into the main event alive (This I call "Blowing Up The Bubble") Increasing the size of his stack.
The other players have nothing to gain by folding and keeping bubble boy in the game, apart from the satisfaction that it was a player on another table that bubbled first.

I started the touny with only two things in mind, "Me Against Them" and "Survival" However, when we reach the the last two tables or the bubble, everything changes, there seems to be a group division going on, "Our Table" versus "Their Table"

Each of the topics I have mentioned above seam to relate to "Survival". The "Shovemonkey" is a form of attack which some use to survive. The "Slow Play Collusion" seems to be some a form of defence which some use for survival and "Blowing up the Bubble" seams to be a way of helping a wounded comrad, thus keeping the group strong which in turn helps survival.

So My question is this: 
Are we seeing some kind of basic survival instinct goin on which seems to go back to the days of the dinosaurs or is there some other reason why this type of play seems to be emerging in online poker?

Has anyone else noticed this? or Am I completely going of my Trolley? (Do not answer the later)

Comments

• edited June 2010
    1 SkyMod1

2 SkyMod1

3 SkyMod1
  • edited June 2010

1. Shovemonkeys

3. Blowing Up The Bubble

Is this a Michael Jackson thread????

On a serious note, I think that slower play when near or on the bubble will always exist on here until the site introduces hand for hand play. I also think that a survival instinct does kick in on the bubble, because if you do make a move and then someone behind you pushes all in, you are basically just gambling for your tournament if you go to war with this hand.... when you can just 'sit' there with a better than average chip stack and virtually guarantee your progression through.

• edited June 2010

I love you Trev!

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Three Things I Hate About Satelite Poker:
    1 SkyMod1 2 SkyMod1 3 SkyMod1
    Posted by emilyegg

sky mod 1
    sky mod 2
    sky mod 3
  • edited June 2010
    1. Shovemonkeys 3. Blowing Up The Bubble Is this a Michael Jackson thread???? On a serious note, I think that slower play when near or on the bubble will always exist on here until the site introduces hand for hand play. I also think that a survival instinct does kick in on the bubble, because if you do make a move and then someone behind you pushes all in, you are basically just gambling for your tournament if you go to war with this hand.... when you can just 'sit' there with a better than average chip stack and virtually guarantee your progression through.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I must admit Max, when I first started playing satelites I used to play for everything. In them days the only thing on my mind was winning but I soon learnt that it was just a game of survival.

But what makes one table play against another? why do we care who bubbles? We somehow seem to try and protect the players on our table, which somehow feels so wrong but right at the same time.

It must be our animal instinct. 
  • edited June 2010
    i love satellites!!!!! lol nothing better than getting a big cash 4 say £2.40.... but i happen 2 agree with post shove monkeys r annoying in all torns tho not just sats. sky must introduce hand4hand mode tho 2 sort out colluding
  • edited June 2010
    i love satellites!!!!! lol nothing better than getting a big cash 4 say £2.40.... but i happen 2 agree with post shove monkeys r annoying in all torns tho not just sats. sky must introduce hand4hand mode tho 2 sort out colluding
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    Heard this one mentioned before and still cant understand why it is not the norm.
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    Never played on a site with Hand 4 Hand - Anyone got any experience with this format?
  • edited June 2010
     I do trev---when theres a bubble, or a ladder in the cash, everyone in the tournie plays one hand at a time, when your hand is finished, you then have to wait for all the other tables to finish a hand before the next one starts, so it's a waste of time playing slow-- good idea imo, but you know what the tech team are like here-- it would take around 4 years to implement--lol
  • edited June 2010
    Will be done in conjunction with the download and the start of the 2014 World Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoOjtNs9EOk

Reasons to be Cheerful.....
  • edited June 2010
    I like "there aint half been some clever bar stewards"--lol
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Three Things I Hate About Satelite Poker:
      Are we seeing some kind of basic survival instinct goin on which seems to go back to the days of the dinosaurs? Posted by POKERTREV
    Errrrrrrr, no.

Dinosaurs were extinct around 65 million years before the first of us h0mo sapiens (yes, that includes Tikay) walked the earth.

Good post though, it's hilarious on the bubble when all of a sudden nearly every short/medium stacked player starts letting the clock run nearly all the way down on all decisons, and you just know they're watching the other other table on mini-view and yelling 'shove it!', 'call it!' etc at the screen.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Three Things I Hate About Satelite Poker : Errrrrrrr, no.   Dinosaurs were extinct around 65 million years before the first of us h0mo sapiens (yes, including Tikay) walked the earth. Good post, it's hilarious on the bubble when all of a sudden nearly every short/medium stacked player starts letting the clock run nearly all the way down on every decison, and you just know they're all watching the other other table on mini-view and yelling 'shove it!', 'call it!'  and similar at the screen.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Stop telling fibs Gary - even I know Tikay has been around much longer than that.

But I know the rest to be true lol.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Three Things I Hate About Satelite Poker:

Hi trev  

shove monkeys as you call them, first,  there is the beginner someone (like my wife) who is not sure how to play a hand and so if they have two reasonable cards and get raised will just chuck them all in rather than try to play them, (this is actually recommended by  “dan Harrington on poker” for inexperienced players although it is in the heads up section I think it still applies, then there  are the other type of player that you may not like i.e. the draw chaser , the fish, the bet and hope, the egotistical guy who will raise just because you had the nerve to raise him these are all players that are annoying but are part of poker (at this level anyway) and as you know these are the guys (and gals) that we can get chips of f, so using the old cliché “ don’t tap the fish tank”  springs to mind. So it’s up to you whether you play theses first few levels knowing that this is the most dangerous time as whatever cards you have and bet you make there will almost certainly be someone who will come along or just chuck it all in, deeper in the game you can start to play the game knowing if you bet 3x the Bb they won’t shove (or will they!!!)

The slow play on the bubble is only natural I do it myself especially in satellites when 20th position is the same as 1 so why would you risk reaching the bubble just because you have a hand? you will find the slower players are the ones who don’t want to go up against a hand as there still at risk whereas the bigger stacks will just fold as normalI wouldn’t call it mass collusion just self preservation as you know when near the bubble the short stacks are in the fold or all in mode so unless you have a huge stack you would be wary of the short stack  (even in the wsop  most players will muck rather than playing a hand until the bubble boy has gone), they are also waiting for players like you who maybe on another table will bet with a decent holding and take on another big stack and hay presto they have made the bubble.!  In a tourney it is bit different and the slow play is not so prevalent except from the short stacks as again, they are in the fold or shove mode I must also point out that you have the time allowed to make your decision and have every right to take that time allowed even if there are lots of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (which I hate) in the chat box!

Finally! blowing up the bubble I can’t think of a time this has happened when i have been playing  except  when  other players fold to the short stack simply to reach the bubble (again the wsop springs to mind)  I’m sure you would be aware of your cards before putting the short stack all in knowing when there is nowhere else to go they will push back, In an ideal world you bet 3x blind and everyone goes away but this is what makes poker the game it is, the gonks the idiots, the fish, otherwise we would all be brilliant players, wouldn’t we???

Just a final note the Hand 4 Hand sounds good but when the bubble is 60 that works out  10 tables how long would you have to wait to play a hand again?

• edited June 2010
    Just a final note the Hand 4 Hand sounds good but when the bubble is 60 that works out   10 tables how long would you have to wait to play a hand again?
    Posted by JONONZIE
    shouldnt be 2 long with 10 tables m8. the hand 4 hand mode is much more professional than anything else .
  • edited June 2010
    1. Lack of atmosphere
    2. Altitude
    3. Zero gravity
  • edited June 2010
    Blowing up the bubble......I suppose it's akin to the Stockholm Syndrome ( where hostages in a long term situation end up empathising with the hostage takers). You been on a table with the same guy(s) for most of the tourney with banter flying round the table and you maybe get to like them. Although you don't want them to win, near the bubble you end up wanting them to reach the cash so they get their buy in back. Been guilty of being on both the giving and receiving end.

As for playing hand for hand a number of sites do this. Sky may get round to it one day...who knows?
  • edited June 2010

Ive still never qualified from a satellite ever ever ever - apart from an all in lottery on ipoker :)

And I HATE the thought of hand for hand, the most tilting thing in the world waiting for people on the other tables to finish a hand, the action stops, but the clock doesnt!! - 4 hands per blind level aint enuff!! 

There is life after the bubble ya no!!!!! (maybe not in sats)

Play the flippin game!!
  • edited June 2010
    Hand-for-hand sounds good in theory, but if there's just one idiot who is deliberately letting his clock run all the way down on every decision he will be able to tilt the whole field, not just his own table.

I've played MTTs on another site with hand-to-hand in MTTs with well over 100 places played, the delay at the end of each hand seems to go on forever, it's a big relief when the bubble bursts and you can go back to playing at normal speed.
  • edited June 2010
    Ive still never qualified from a satellite ever ever ever - apart from an all in lottery on ipoker :) And I HATE the thought of hand for hand, the most tilting thing in the world waiting for people on the other tables to finish a hand, the action stops, but the clock doesnt!! - 4 hands per blind level aint enuff!!  There is life after the bubble ya no!!!!! (maybe not in sats) Play the flippin game!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    You are so wrong here JJ and out of line with this post IMHO!!. I will probably get berated by Tikay for disagreeing with one of his favourites but.......

Satellites are ESSENTIAL for the lower BR players to attempt to qualify for tournaments that would normally be out of their reach.  Because you have the BR to buy in direct and do not play in them does not entitle you to criticise them.

Hand for hand would not please everyone on here but for myself who plays a lot of sats, I would like to see it introduced eventually as I do feel that there is a need for this.

Not wishing for a massive argument here Doh but stick to giving advice in the clinic and leave the subjects that concern the smaller BR players on here to us. Thank you.
  • edited June 2010
    I am a low stakes player.

I haven't said satellites 'aren't essential' - in fact I never commented on satellites at all?

My issue is with hand for hand - which effects everyone in the tournament, including me. - I believe GaryQQQ also looked at the negatives of hand for hand too.

I cud have 50bbs when the bubble starts, it can go on forever, 2 whole levels sometimes, and my very playable 50bb stack is now 25 bbs without me doing anything, just because people have 'taken' 2 blind levels out of the game.

Not sure where I opposed satellites in my post? Just said they dont work for me, hence I have never qualified via 1.

The tk's favourite thing is gettin abit annoying now, not sure why everyone keeps sayin that had loads of rows with him since joining sky.lol. If I disagree with something he says in the future, no doubt I'll speak up again in my usual "type before thinking" manner. 

Wish people wud drop the "favourite" thing.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Three Things I Hate About Satelite Poker : You are so wrong here JJ and out of line with this post IMHO!!. I will probably get berated by Tikay for disagreeing with one of his favourites but....... Satellites are ESSENTIAL for the lower BR players to attempt to qualify for tournaments that would normally be out of their reach.  Because you have the BR to buy in direct and do not play in them does not entitle you to criticise them. Hand for hand would not please everyone on here but for myself who plays a lot of sats, I would like to see it introduced eventually as I do feel that there is a need for this. Not wishing for a massive argument here Doh but stick to giving advice in the clinic and leave the subjects that concern the smaller BR players on here to us. Thank you.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Tbf dohx7 didnt mention anything bad about sats, just that he didn't personally like them.
  • edited June 2010
    yes hand 4 hand can be annoying but so can say having 6bb on the bubble with all the big stacks on youre table who r playing norm (not slow folding ) but other table which has 2 other shorties on it slow folding every hand, u r at a disadvantage in a big way!