You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this an easy fold??

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
First vomit a little bit in your mouth, then wait for you to time out, then watch in disgust.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Only been on the table 10 mins, had no reads and have no notes on any of the players lol

Player K =£ 46
    Player S =£ 12.5    My Stack =£51
    Player N =£ 58
    rikcluttsSmall blind £0.25£0.25£24.62KBig blind £0.50£0.75£48.38 Your hole cardsAA   SCall £0.50£1.25£14.54NCall £0.50£1.75£60.63goodylad21Raise £2.50£4.25£53.46RFold    KCall £2.00£6.25£46.38SCall £2.00£8.25£12.54NCall £2.00£10.25£58.63Flop  J104   KBet £5.13£15.38£41.25SRaise £10.26£25.64£2.28NCall £10.26£35.90£48.37
  • edited June 2010
    It is a fairly easy fold.

An infuriating fold, but it has to be done.
  • edited June 2010
    raise to 3/3.5 pre 

as played dump em and run
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this an easy fold??:
    raise to 3/3.5 pre 
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    Why?

I can't understand how you can advocate raising 7 x BB pre-flop; are you just trying to get everyone to fold, and pick up a pot of 75p?

Big raises like that gets rid of AQ / AJ / KQ / small pair hands which we want a call from.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this an easy fold?? : Why? I can't understand how you can advocate raising 7 x BB pre-flop; are you just trying to get everyone to fold, and pick up a pot of 75p? Big raises like that gets rid of AQ / AJ / KQ / small pair hands which we want a call from.
    Posted by Springs
    totally agree
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this an easy fold?? : Why? I can't understand how you can advocate raising 7 x BB pre-flop; are you just trying to get everyone to fold, and pick up a pot of 75p? Big raises like that gets rid of AQ / AJ / KQ / small pair hands which we want a call from.
    Posted by Springs
    If you make it £2.5 after two people have already limped, it just takes one caller and then people have the odds to call and you end up playing AA with 4 players seeing the flop.

You really want to be playing AA head up and the raise to 3 or 3.5 is likely to achieve that.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this an easy fold?? : If you make it £2.5 after two people have already limped, it just takes one caller and then people have the odds to call and you end up playing AA with 4 players seeing the flop. You really want to be playing AA head up and the raise to 3 or 3.5 is likely to achieve that.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure I agree.

OP has raised 5x BB, which I think is strong enough here. Any more than this, and I feel we are completely signposting our hand.

With the £2.50 raise, I'd say hands like JJ / QQ are likely to re-shove, but to a 7 BB raise, they're going to call and set mine.

I think the only hands that will call 7 BBs are JJ (?), QQ, KK, AA and AK. However, a much wider range will call just a 5 BB raise, which is great. Obviously, we will pay the price on some flops (like this one), but we are still able to get away cheaply.

I guess it all depends on your mindset; I think that big a raise massively limits our potential winnings. However, I can see your point that it will save us from losing a big pot too.
  • edited June 2010
    I disagree that raising 6x BB is sign posting our hand as this could be done with such a wide range in position to take down the dead money preflop/ on the flop.
  • edited June 2010
    5xbb is fine but saying 7x will create folds is far from true on sky so its not a bad play to raise this big 
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this an easy fold?? : I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure I agree. OP has raised 5x BB, which I think is strong enough here. Any more than this, and I feel we are completely signposting our hand. With the £2.50 raise, I'd say hands like JJ / QQ are likely to re-shove, but to a 7 BB raise, they're going to call and set mine. I think the only hands that will call 7 BBs are JJ (?), QQ, KK, AA and AK. However, a much wider range will call just a 5 BB raise, which is great. Obviously, we will pay the price on some flops (like this one), but we are still able to get away cheaply. I guess it all depends on your mindset; I think that big a raise massively limits our potential winnings. However, I can see your point that it will save us from losing a big pot too.
    Posted by Springs
    any pp and KQ+ will call a £3 raise here, what u want to get rid of is ur JT/89s kinda hands and get hands in u have crushed, u dont want a wide range calling u, u want to be able to define their range, 

after 1 limp i would say 2.5 IP is ok but 2 limps i make it 3 at least

a wider range calling us is not "great" as u have no clue what they have
  • edited June 2010

the 2.50 raise seems about right, you would usually raise to around 1.50 in an unraised pot and most ppl will tell you that if 1 limps in add another bb to the raise so i dont have a problem with the 2 50. I then think its an easy fold, never nice but with 3 ppl b4 u can be sure you'd have to catch something big on the turn or river to win so just wince and let it go!!