You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rebuys

edited June 2010 in Sky Poker Tournaments
What does everyone think of the new rebuys/add-ons?

One of the main reasons I play on sky is that it different from all the other sites and does'nt have them. The tournments meant they were over once your chips had gone. I pesonally like that, you know when approximately it will finish and no-one has that upperhand with a larger bank roll.

I know all the advantages of this and have played on other sites with these options, I'm dissappointed its happened. What does the community think?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Why should it worry you?
    You don't have to play rebuy tournaments and there are still a lot of standard freeze-out tournaments to choose from.

• edited June 2010
    rebuys are there for people that like them,sky are oviously trying to catch up with other sites in providing many types of tournaments.
    i dont like the idea of charging a rake on the rebuy,(maybe this is just an oversite by sky?)
    also i dont see how you can have a rebuy/bounty hunter tourny?
    how many time do you have to take a guy out to win his bounty?

dave
  • edited June 2010
    I agree with the others, I welcome choice but what I don't welcome is non standard practice, I have never seen rake charged on a rebuy or add on at any site or in any live tournament!

Added to Omaha Hi/Lo which with the split pot means you often make a loss with the nuts in a cash game there does seem a lot of rake generation going on!!

Dave
  • edited June 2010
    like i put in my post about rebuys i have never seen a rake on rebuys come on sky sort this rubbish out
  • edited June 2010

that s why skypoker site whas so good.no rebuys. sky looking for more money.mtt and stt players pay 10% of every chip extra.cash tables is free and u still want more money.ty i not gonna play rebuy tourneys anymore.gl 

• edited June 2010

Being charged rake on rebuys is very poor apart from that i'm glad sky has introduced them.

Played in a 50p + 10p roulette rebuy couple of nights back, 500 chips 1 minute blinds, started with £18 prize fund, finished with £97.50p.

It was crazy, guys rebuying 500 chips when blinds were 800,000.  

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Rebuys:
    Why should it worry you? You don't have to play rebuy tournaments and there are still a lot of standard freeze-out tournaments to choose from.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Mere I agree there's still a lot of non re-buy choice.

But so far.....

Freeroll players have no other choice than re-buys
    one min roulette players have no other choice than re-buys

If it stops there then okay (sort of)......the "worry" comes with how thick this end of the wedge is.
  • edited June 2010
    I expect that "market forces" will prevail.
    If people play the rebuys they will continue but if there is no support for them then the number will decrease.
    It seems simple business sense and I would guess that Sky Poker are just "feeling out" the market at present.
  • edited June 2010

Well if that's what they're doing it seems to be overly effecting the bottom end of the food chain at the moment.

Each day seems to bring a little more understanding of the "current business model"

My first day at Sky Poker 8 months ago (indeed my first real money poker of any kind) gave me access to freezeout freerolls and freezeout one minute roulette. The choice for absolute beginners seems a little less user friendly now unless you come equipped with a healthy BR you're prepared to lose as you take your first steps to hopefully staying with Sky over the long term.

Hopefully the players all chucking money into the one minute roulette rebuys are all "having a laugh" I'd hate to think any new players are playing without really understanding the poor value their rebuys are giving them unless they happen to win the darn thing.

All Sky have to do is provide freezeout freerols and freezeout roulette alongside (or alternate times from) the re-buys then let market forces do their work.

• edited June 2010

As Dud Butini says choice is everything.It's all well and good at £5.50 buyins and above plenty of choice below that very little and getting less.I used to enjoy trying to satellite into bigger tournaments on a freeroll now rebuy or nothing. 

• edited June 2010
    Rebuy DS tournys

Come on sky give em a whirl
  • edited June 2010
    I've never played in a rebuy tournament yet, and am very cautious about doing so.
    How do you make the best of the rebuys available? I have registered for the rebuy freeroll tonight but realise it may cost me. Do I go for a rebuy as soon as I've got less than 2000 chips? Can I then buy another 2000 or can I buy more. Then there's the add-on, do I go for that also, I don't want to spend lots of money needlessly.
    Can anyone advise me how best to proceed?

Janet.
  • edited June 2010
    I've never played in a rebuy tournament yet, and am very cautious about doing so. How do you make the best of the rebuys available? I have registered for the rebuy freeroll tonight but realise it may cost me. Do I go for a rebuy as soon as I've got less than 2000 chips? Can I then buy another 2000 or can I buy more. Then there's the add-on, do I go for that also, I don't want to spend lots of money needlessly. Can anyone advise me how best to proceed? Janet.
    Posted by prinnyroya
    For bankroll purposes only enter a re-buy if you're prepared to spend at least 4x the buy-in. There's no point entering thinking 'I won't re-buy or add-on under any circumstances ' as you'll be at a big disadvantage to the rest of the field, you'd be better off entering a freezeout.

Serious players will rebuy immediately on the first hand (so they double their starting stack), re-buy again if they drop down to just below the starting stack, and always add-on at the break. That's what you'll be up against. Good luck.

I abstained from this vote, I don't like re-buys, but I don't mind them being there as long as the sort of tournaments I do like are still there too.
  • edited June 2010
    Response to Re: Rebuys:
    In Response to Re: Rebuys : For bankroll purposes only enter a re-buy if you're prepared to spend at least 4x the buy-in. There's no point entering thinking 'I won't re-buy or add-on under any circumstances ' as you'll be at a big disadvantage to the rest of the field, you'd be better off entering a freezeout. Serious players will rebuy immediately on the first hand (so they double their starting stack), re-buy again if they drop down to just below the starting stack, and always add-on at the break. That's what you'll be up against. Good luck. I abstained from this vote, I don't like re-buys, but I don't mind them being there as long as the sort of tournaments I do like are still there too.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Hi,
    Thanks for the advice.
    I tried the 1 minute roulette with rebuys. I actually came first and came out with £14+ profit. I staked the original 60p and paid for one rebuy. The person who came 2nd made many rebuys, and even when he was 2nd and kept getting down to 0 chips, continued to rebuy. Is that normal practice in these games?

Puzzled

Janet.
  • edited June 2010
    Congratulations on your win.

Yes, lots of players get knocked out but keep coming back. See Banana_Dogs post today in the General Poker Chat section of the forum for a typical example. It's infuriating for you, thinking they were gone but they come back, and infuriating for them, being tempted to keep paying out for another (long) shot at the win. In this case you profited, because each time the second place finisher re-bought the first prize will have increased slightly, whereas he/she was reducing their profit from the tournament each time they made another re-buy. Sky were profiting too, due to the controversial rake charged on each re-buy.
  • edited June 2010
    Response to Re: Rebuys : Hi, Thanks for the advice. I tried the 1 minute roulette with rebuys. I actually came first and came out with £14+ profit. I staked the original 60p and paid for one rebuy. The person who came 2nd made many rebuys, and even when he was 2nd and kept getting down to 0 chips, continued to rebuy. Is that normal practice in these games? Puzzled Janet.
    Posted by prinnyroya
    If you are a massive chip leader in a roulette rebuy tourney with say 20000 chips which is not uncommon, with 2 or 3 players left fighting over the 2nd spot and continually rebuying for 500 chips, keep pushing all in, you will just keep collecting the chips, you would have to be soo unlucky to lose 5 times on the trot, and when there are two of you left hope they keep rebuying. If it is you in 2nd place, never rebuy just take the 2nd prize. TBH though, this game is a waste of money, go and play a £2 deepy, 5000 chips 12 minute blinds, much more value and longer fun and better standard of play (sometimes)
  • edited June 2010
    Supermarkets have lots of products that we don't like or won't buy because it's too expensive, but, we don't buy them if we don't want them. It's all about having choice. If we like it, we will buy it, if we don't we wont.

Just like supermarkets if a product is selling well, they will keep it, if not it will usually be taken off the shelf and replaced with something new.

Its up to the sales and marketing departments to bring in new products and offers and also increase the sales of old ones, which is done by revamping the display or moving a product to a new section. This way when you go to buy your usual box of cornflakes you are now presented with a multi-pack of crisps where your cornflakes used to be.

Yes, It's all about selling, but selling also requires variety, the more variety you have the more customers will return and the more returning customers you have the more you will sell.

Anyone who runs their own business will tell you that introducing new products, is essential for a business to maintain growth and increase sales which in turn can be passed on to it's customers via special offers.

The long and short of it all is:

If there is a market for it, it will be on sale, but it's your choice. If you like it you can buy it, if you don't then leave it on the shelf for others to buy. If it doesn't sell it will be replaced, sometimes with something better and sometimes with something worse but always with variety.
  • edited June 2010

I don't play on Sky poker anywhere as much as i used to because of all the rebuys. Its ruined some good games.