You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Firefox V Internet Explorer

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
I'm having a few probs with lagging games, action buttons taking ages to come up etc....
I have a new laptop so it's not clogged up with junk and the connection is fine as everyone else in the house is also connected fine, so I have installed firefox to see if it helps.
The only odd thing at the moment is that if I click "reply to post" the cursor doesnt show up even though I can type so it's hard to see if I have hit the space or enter button..strange!
Any pros and cons, any firefox users on here? I must say the best pro for me for using firefox is that I now have a personalised guinea-pig theme going! hahaha

Comments

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Firefox V Internet Explorer:
    I'm having a few probs with lagging games, action buttons taking ages to come up etc.... I have a new laptop so it's not clogged up with junk and the connection is fine as everyone else in the house is also connected fine, so I have installed firefox to see if it helps. The only odd thing at the moment is that if I click "reply to post" the cursor doesnt show up even though I can type so it's hard to see if I have hit the space or enter button..strange! Any pros and cons, any firefox users on here? I must say the best pro for me for using firefox is that I now have a personalised guinea-pig theme going! hahaha
    Posted by BananaDog
    I want a personalised them, lol. Ive always prefered IE although im having the same problems as you with the lag. Expessially when im multi tabling which is my favorite hobby to be fair
  • edited June 2010
    I find Ffox about the same as I Explorer, no real problems with either.

Paul
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Firefox V Internet Explorer:
    In Response to Firefox V Internet Explorer : I want a personalised them, lol. Ive always prefered IE although im having the same problems as you with the lag. Expessially when im multi tabling which is my favorite hobby to be fair
    Posted by The_Don90
    yep, its when i have 3 tables but only 1 will lag...this morning i only had 2 open and it nearly killed my laptop!!!
  • edited June 2010
    I wonder if it's worse for people on laptops v desktop pc's? Any thoughts?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Firefox V Internet Explorer : yep, its when i have 3 tables but only 1 will lag...this morning i only had 2 open and it nearly killed my laptop!!!
    Posted by BananaDog
    I know this feeling all to well. I remember once i was on the bubble of a scary, DYM and MTT at the same time, if i was first to act i couldnt do anything but the time it caught its self up it was half way down the next persons timer, was killing me in the scary.
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by BananaDog
    Could be, when on the lappy i can only play 2 tables, when at home on the PC, play as many that can fit on the monitor. Normally only play 4 max at any one time.

Paul

• edited June 2010
    Posted by BananaDog
    I play on a home made gaming PC and it still struggles for it yet it plays brand new top of the range games without any difficulty.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Firefox V Internet Explorer : Could be, when on the lappy i can only play 2 tables, when at home on the PC, play as many that can fit on the monitor. Normally only play 4 max at any one time. Paul
    Posted by -Typhoon-
    Dam...I think I need to save my pennies for a desktop then.
    I only got this laptop a couple of months ago when I came back to sky as my old one wasn't coping so well but If i'd known how much i was gonna play maybe I would have considered the desktop instead as I seem to play loads now compared to what I played on PKR.
  • edited June 2010
    Desk top pc is the way to go as long as sky stick with browser based system which is very processor hungry.Top end lap tops have good processor but never as fast average desk top.
  • edited June 2010
    Agree that you should be fine with either IE or FF (or even Safari for that matter). All three perform equally well for me.
    The main problem is that Flash is a massive pile of inefficient cak which needs more CPU power than you'd get from a 50-Core-Xeon-Cubed (ok, slight exaggeration but you get idea lol). That's why Apple quite rightly refuse to let it anywhere near their products lol.
    And laptops are never that powerful compared to what's achievable with a desktop type.

• edited June 2010
    Off topic (sorry nana) but my laptop sometimes randomly freezes, the cursor just freezes and not even cntr alt + delete works....

Any idea why this happens? it happens randomly through the day, wether Im playing 3 tables, or just browsing 1 website.

Its so annoying and has cost a good few quid. Happens maybe 4/5 times over the course of a 12 hour session?
  • edited June 2010
    Off topic (sorry nana) but my laptop sometimes randomly freezes, the cursor just freezes and not even cntr alt + delete works.... Any idea why this happens?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Usually a hard-lock like that would point to a hardware fault, for example a piece of dodgy memory or overheating.
  • edited June 2010
    Use to have that a lot on vista not happened since went to 7 but now I.E or F.F will randomly stop working cant win lol.
  • edited June 2010

Only had laptop 3/4 months, is there anything I can do about it Bonk ??  :)
  • edited June 2010
     Hi BananaDog    We have Desktop in spare room which Hubby uses and he multi tables eight at a time no problem. We are with Virgin Cable fibre optic. He bought me Lappy when I started to play so we could play poker at the same time and I would'nt interfere with his games.  Its Toshiba 4g and though I don't multi table myself when he tried to use it on wireless he could only get two tables to work properly.  You say, other Computers in the house work OK are you, then, on wireless connection. This may not be your problem but that's what happens on my laptop. Its a plus for me because he doesn't use my laptop, but he hid's away up stairs in the spare room and last night I opened the door he was fast asleep all his tables blinding him out. "Men" when I nudged him he said,  not asleep just resting my eye's, "Yeh"  well why were you snoring. Luvs him really. Annie x
    Posted by logdon
    lol that's hilarious, but I must admit I have also fallen asleep playing! hahaha
    I also had my laptop off hubby cos I kept nicking his to play poker...we have BT wireless thingy and me, hubby and 3 kids all have laptops connected same time - we also have 2 Wii's and 2 PS3's which I suppose are connected when needed (also the DS's) so maybe we are just strangling the connection with too many things attached...just wierd how it's only me having probs (cry)
    xxx
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Firefox V Internet Explorer : I play on a home made gaming PC and it still struggles for it yet it plays brand new top of the range games without any difficulty.
    Posted by The_Don90

My gaming pc I dont think is even that good, but it runs sky v good. can load and play 18 tables without freezing or slow down. Only when a new table is 100% loading and then initialising does my whole table layout freeze for about 2 seconds then it comes back as usual.
  • edited June 2010

I'm no computer expert but I guess the majority of problems are due to the internet connection and not your hardware or choice of browsers.  Wireless connections are especially unreliable as they can get interference from any other electrical equipment, wireless connections next door etc.  I can get my ancient basic laptop to run 4 tables with no issues whatsoever as long as I connect to the router with a cable.  Wirelessly it disconnects all the time.

• edited June 2010
    try google chrome - runs 6tables on my laptop fine
  • edited June 2010
    try google chrome - runs 6tables on my laptop fine
    Posted by zing
    Thanks, I just did 3 tables on firefox and it ran brill but if it starts to mess up again I'll try chrome :)
    My hubby said he surfs on ff and only uses IE for skypoker so maybe keeping stuff seperate may also help..worth a try!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Firefox V Internet Explorer : Thanks, I just did 3 tables on firefox and it ran brill but if it starts to mess up again I'll try chrome :) My hubby said he surfs on ff and only uses IE for skypoker so maybe keeping stuff seperate may also help..worth a try!
    Posted by BananaDog

I used to play exclusively on sky with IE but Chrome is even better although if you have a problem sky will say they dont support it so be aware.
  • edited June 2010
    Only had laptop 3/4 months, is there anything I can do about it Bonk ??  :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hi dohhhhhhh--- If you've only had the laptop a few months, I would try uninstalling all downloaded programs and then restoring it to the earliest date availiable--go to --control panel---system and maintenance-- back up your computer--restore options-- previous versions---gl m8

If that don't work, take it back to the shop before the guarrantee runs out innit
  • edited June 2010
    FIREFOX is definately better lads-- IE seems to get cluttered at peak times, fox is much more reliable in my experience
  • edited June 2010
    FIREFOX is definately better lads-- IE seems to get cluttered at peak times, fox is much more reliable in my experience
    Posted by oynutter
    Thanks oynutter, I've found it better today with the bonus of having cute little guinea-pig pics all over the top where I've personalised the background! Good innit! lol