You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My favourite service station and motorway

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
I've been to every service station and have just heard the legend Tikey say write in on your fav service.

I normaly leave up A21 pop into Clacket Lane and play the fruits take a few hundred then chip the M3 and the M4 off but take the M40 up to Oxford Services and play the fruits, i'll continue up the M40 and take the M6 around Birmingham and pop into Frankley services but this is a horrible service as you can't get over the other side. Hilton is quite fresh in the morning and if you carry up the M6 you'll come to a truckers service station were i normally pop off to get my haircut and go for a toilet, the ladies are a laugh in there and do a nice bacon roll at good prices. I'll turn up the M62 and get some sleep at Hartshead Moor and do both sides for doors in the morning which is a nice little raise on the £500's. I come back down the M1 I like the bridge crossing over at Toddington services especially in high winds, they normally shut the gates but its easy to jump over at night, both sides have profitable fruit  machines but are normally burnt. Can make a few grand on a 48 hour run up there and my biggest journey would be to Exeter from Brighton up to Carlisle and back to Brighton without any sleep.

My favs definatly
Heartshead Moor
Leicester Forres for the food canteen and the nice tunnel at night were you can watch over the motorway in the rain
Oxford Services

Also, my favouirte road is the M40 from Oxford Services to M25 South Turn off, basically this road is like pure sex, after a good wash down and sleep at Oxford step into the car and its the perfect journey especially at night time, the road is so wide and  smooth and the bends and curves make it perfect to drive in, only at night I recommend especially in the rain

Comments

• edited June 2010
    In Response to My favourite service station and motorway:
    I've been to every service station and have just heard the legend Tikey say write in on your fav service. I normaly leave up A21 pop into Clacket Lane and play the fruits take a few hundred then chip the M3 and the M4 off but take the M40 up to Oxford Services and play the fruits, i'll continue up the M40 and take the M6 around Birmingham and pop into Frankley services but this is a horrible service as you can't get over the other side. Posted by MadHorse
    Frankley services? On the M6, it goes Corley to Hilton Park, Frankley is on the M5.

My favourite motorway has to be either the M6 toll or the M69 for the fact that you really can do whatever speed you like, although the M6 up in Cumbria before you get to Penrith is beautiful where it goes through the mountains.

As for services, Watford Gap is awful, absolutely awful, and the favourite, well I haven't really got one, Knutsford is decent enough, haven't stopped at Oxford but I hear that it is the best.
  • edited June 2010

Oxford Services is always a nice service station, very friendly staff and very clean and Watford Gap Services is  just truly dire.

• edited June 2010
    Any where I can get a BK Bacon Double Cheeseburger XL - my guilty food pleasure lol. And Keele is my nearest so I'll have to say that!

• edited June 2010
    It has got to be the services on the M6 in the northern lakes so about junction 38 I think it is. Lemme go off on google and find out exactly where.... 

Tebay services with the farm shop is amazing! Very nice landscaping and the m6 is nice and fast/fun/wide/has good views up the top bit!

edit look at dat

• edited June 2010
    Yeah its nice Beaneh, you can go and feed the ducks there by the lake aswell which is nice.

I must admit it's very expensive and more of a small little cottage with loads of tranquil ornaments rather than a massive metallic manufactured infastructure.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: My favourite service station and motorway:
    It has got to be the services on the M6 in the northern lakes so about junction 38 I think it is. Lemme go off on google and find out exactly where....  Tebay services with the farm shop is amazing! Very nice landscaping and the m6 is nice and fast/fun/wide/has good views up the top bit! edit look at dat http://www.motorwayservices.info/images/322_large.jpg
    Posted by beaneh
    That is a nice one, and I think (from memory) they have a Bocca Della Verita which is another sign of a fine service station :)
  • edited June 2010
    Considering the prices in all service stations I expect to get ripped off so at least we get the lovely area around it. And at least your already up in the lakes or somewhere nice!
  • edited June 2010
    Did you know the breakfasts in Roadchefs are £7.79 and you get nothing, me and a mate printed off a bunch of passes made on photoshop and got the meal for free, works all the time, just make sure you write included; free cark park and meal and the person at till will fall for it.
  • edited June 2010
    I used to love littlechefs aswell, they do amazing food. Anything fried I like pretty much especially bread!!!!!! haven't been in ages though, I bet they've changed the menu and I cant order and olympic no 11 anymore :(
  • edited June 2010

I SO love this thread!

And for real geeks, take a gander at this beaut of a Website.....

http://www.ukmotorwayarchive.org/page1.htm
  • edited June 2010
    I SO love this thread! And for real geeks, take a gander at this beaut of a Website..... http://www.ukmotorwayarchive.org/page1.htm
    Posted by Tikay10

I'm pretty sure i've watch a documentary on how the uk motorway network came about and developed over the years. It was very interesting but I am also very sad so may not be for everyone! (it was called the Secret Life of the Motorways) :-0
  • edited June 2010
    Michael Wood on the M5, Used to stop there loads when i worked in Plymouth.  Always had a go on one of those grab a teddy machines, and one of those stop the light machines.
    Then I used to look round the restaurant for a breakfast reciept lying around that I could claim back from work.  With extras those brekkies can be near on a tenner, what a rip off.

Why the hell is this thread still in general section btw
  • edited June 2010
    Also I am delighted by this policy of putting M&S and Waitrose stores at service stations, top top sandwiches !!!
  • edited June 2010
    mines the m40 travel it about every six week,s to london pass john lewis then i no the m25 is not to far away.do the slow crawl on the m25 then onto the froom froom m1 into edgware
  • edited June 2010
    Favourite motorway has to be the northern end of the M6 when it gets hilly and sweeping or the M6 Toll because of no lorries and flatness and how comfortable 70 feels.......
  • edited June 2010
    if theres an m69 that would be my fave motorway ;)

i drive for a living so ive been in most services in the south and am quite sad that i could name most of them!!!

the best one ive been to is leicster forest.
  • edited June 2010
    if theres an m69 that would be my fave motorway ;) i drive for a living so ive been in most services in the south and am quite sad that i could name most of them!!! the best one ive been to is leicster forest.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    There most certainly is an M69, & by coincidence, one end terminates at Leicester Forest Services.

It's quite a pretty Motorway, through gorgeous Leicestershire & Warwickshire undulating countryside, though technically, it is pretty basic, & very short, it's outstanding feature being the interchange with the M6. Traffic flows are very low, & it rarely experiences traffic jams. 

You can read more fascinating drivel about the M69 here....

http://www.ukmotorwayarchive.org/page1.htm
  • edited June 2010

Well it has to be the M20 of course, a quick easy route from mid-kent to Costa Del Folkestone

As for favourite Service Station? Well, none of them, they all have overpriced stuff and stink of wee

• edited June 2010
    Is there a motorway more hateful than the M42? Speed cameras, variable speed limits, 50... 60.... 50 again... 60 again... 70.... no 50 again (just trying to catch you out innit) Use the hard-shoulder, don't use the hard-shoulder, 60... 50... 60... ARRRGGHHHH!

Bomb the M42 I say.
    With massive bombs.
  • edited June 2010
    Tikay,

Have you been to Beconsfield service station? it's new near Oxford, its just a big spacious thing and i dread to think how much it cost to build that dome like structure, beware when ordering from the Burger King it took me about 25 minutes and several different languages and dialects to get my order in the end i told him to shove it.

Have you been to Donnington Park on the M1 Tikay? I totally forgot about this service station and is up ther with my favourites, the travel lodge is build around the service station and theres computers you can use for Skypoker after a nice sleep, Marks and Spencers bio-yogurt and orange juice in the morning, I did get told of for wearing my dressing gown and slippers around the arcade at 8 am in the morning.
  • edited June 2010
    Tikay, Have you been to Beconsfield service station? it's new near Oxford, its just a big spacious thing and i dread to think how much it cost to build that dome like structure, beware when ordering from the Burger King it took me about 25 minutes and several different languages and dialects to get my order in the end i told him to shove it. Have you been to Donnington Park on the M1 Tikay? I totally forgot about this service station and is up ther with my favourites, the travel lodge is build around the service station and theres computers you can use for Skypoker after a nice sleep, Marks and Spencers bio-yogurt and orange juice in the morning, I did get told of for wearing my dressing gown and slippers around the arcade at 8 am in the morning.
    Posted by MadHorse
    To the first, yes, I use it regularly when I drive down from home, in Derbyshire, to Sky Poker, in London, & I particularly like the M & S Shop there. I'm not sure I'd decscibe at as being "near Oxford" though! It'd be a tidy walk, I tell ya......

Donington Services, yes, they are very close to my home, it's J24/23a of the M1, & I live just near J25.

My issue with both of them is identical - they are not, in my opinion, "true" Motorway Service Stations, as neither is actually ON the Motorway, & involve a bit of off-Motorway messing around to gain access.

But yes, both pretty decent, that apart.

I'm currently "off" junk food, as I'm on a rather brutal diet, so the presence of an M & S or Waitrose, where I can buy fresh fruit, is a must.
  • edited June 2010
    myself, i like Magor services on the M4. been to it on many occasions and had many decent meals (if a bit pricey). nice scenery and a thoroughly pleasant place to relax before/after the fun of the Severn Bridge and its b loody toll!!
  • edited June 2010
    Woolly Edge!!!!!

M606

That is all!!!!

x
  • edited June 2010
    the worst services are the heston services on the m4 just before chiswick!! horrible place!

tikay you should talk about this on the club im sure your co host will love it!!!! ;)