You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

why do people not just check it down

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
Why do people bet when an opponent is all in. I understand it in a bounty hunter they want the bounty, but was just sitting in a DYM, opponents all in i have top two pair, guy bets so i call his all in, he stabs me with a 5 on the river to hit his two out trips. But why do people bet in this situation i dont get it.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Because the aim is to win the most amount of money, that can mean checking it down to knock someone out, but it can mean building a side pot.

In this instance he was probably just a bit of an idiot though
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: why do people not just check it down:
    Because the aim is to win the most amount of money, that can mean checking it down to knock someone out, but it can mean building a side pot. In this instance he was probably just a bit of an idiot though
    Posted by BelovedLtd
    I understand that, but there was no side pot involved when he shoved with less than bottom pair.
  • edited June 2010
    you should av led out with your 2 pair you were obv miles ahead
  • edited June 2010
    you should av led out with your 2 pair you were obv miles ahead
    Posted by Quietman
    Ive always followed the checking it down rule. Thats maybe where i go wrong, id rather make sure my opponent goes out. Maybe im to focused on the prize sometimes.
  • edited June 2010
    it is also correct etiquette to bet if you hold the nut hand, as I think Tikay mentioned once
  • edited June 2010
    your too nice don,think about yourself for a change m8
  • edited June 2010
    your too nice don,think about yourself for a change m8
    Posted by stokefc
    Haha but thats not good for the karma now is it.
  • edited June 2010
    dym, standard unwritten rule is to check it down on the bubble when a player is all in. The only time you should bet is when you hold the nuts on the river in case the all in player also has the nuts on the river and wont go out, so you bet for value against the player that also called the all in.
    However if you have the nuts on the river and the all in player cannot also have the nuts then there is no point betting as everyone will cash the dym anyway and betting will just waste time.

This only applies if you don't want to play for 'pride' after everyone has cashed...
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: why do people not just check it down : I understand that, but there was no side pot involved when he shoved with less than bottom pair.
    Posted by The_Don90
    The fact that he had less than bottom pair is why he was an probably just an idiot

It usually makes it more profitable to just check down to knock people out when it's a DYM sit and go as well.

But, for example, if it was very early on (even in a DYM) and this hand came up then you would have been better off betting with your 2 pair.

If he had nothing then he would have folded, and you probably would have knocked out the all in player with your 2 pair.

If he had a hand that he thought was good then you would have probably knocked out the all in player, and won a side pot - and if the 2nd player had gone all in then obviously it would have been a sizeable side pot.

There's a slight chance that either the all in player or the 'other' player would have picked up a monster hand or outdrawn you.

Generally if you think your hand is good enough to beat the all in player and the other player then you should bet out and create a side pot

It takes judgement, you don't want the other player to win the side pot you've created, and the bubble of a DYM is one of the situations where it is nearly always right to check it down but NEVER just automatically check it down - assess the situation and decide whether you're likely to be beating all the other players in the hand or not and proceed from there.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, and the very important reason for creating a side pot is for the scenario where the all in player hits a monster hand (like a set) but the 'other' player in the hand only has a pair.

That way the all in player will approximately triple up, but at least you'll have got some chips back from the side pot, and hopefully have crippled or knocked out the other player in the process