You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha H/L newbie

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi i tried to get my head around omaha H/L last night and loved it. Played a few hours on micro stake table and ended up a tiny amount up, but was nice to try something different. With the hand i posted should i be calling on the flop and folding on the turn? i'm obviously still very new to this form of poker and this is where i get confused with hands like this....
amarillo66 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £5.93
hfdbull29 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £1.58
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • J
  • A

chackwow Fold        
???? Call   £0.04 £0.10 £3.16
robc Call   £0.04 £0.14 £5.25
BIG0NAY Call   £0.04 £0.18 £3.97
amarillo66 Call   £0.02 £0.20 £5.91
hfdbull29 Check        
Flop

amarillo66 Check        
hfdbull29 Check        
????? Bet   £0.20 £0.40 £2.96
robc Call   £0.20 £0.60 £5.05
BIG0NAY Fold        
amarillo66 Fold        
hfdbull29 Fold        
Turn

• Q

????? Bet   £0.60 £1.20 £2.36
robc Fold        
????? Muck        
?????? Win   £0.56   £2.92
???? Return   £0.60 £0.04 £3.52
I had been limping alot pre flop (mainly because everyone else was and it seems not to be much of a pre flop game as you cant really judge your hand pre??)

The flop comes with a 5 damaging my chances of winning the low pot? i called the bet on the flop because i thought i might still win the high pot and a outside chance of getting the low pot?

Turn brings the queen and he bets big again, and i feel i have to give up there? as i only have a pair?

Sorry for all the question marks, just trying to get my head around the game but really enjoying trying to learn it. also the table i was on was very very passive is this usual on H/L? i was kinda glad as i was new tbh lol

I probably played it completely wrong lol but hey ho we live and learn :)

Cheers Rob

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Hi Rob,

Limping preflop as a learner is fine, you are still learning what hand holdings are the strongest and which are more difficult to play profitably. As it turns out, this particular hand is a semi marginal holding in hi/lo, as you do not often make the nut low and top set will nearly always lead to a low hand being possible, meaning at best you chop the pot.

The flop brings a made straight, a diamond flush draw, and a made low draw. You have one pair, no flush draw, and a very weak low draw. Now is the correct time to fold, given that winning any of this pot is highly unlikely.

Good luck as you continue to learn, and don't be afraid to post more hands to be critiqued; you have explained your actions in the hand and your decisions, which will always improve your game!

CoxyLboro
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha H/L newbie:
    Hi Rob, Limping preflop as a learner is fine, you are still learning what hand holdings are the strongest and which are more difficult to play profitably. As it turns out, this particular hand is a semi marginal holding in hi/lo, as you do not often make the nut low and top set will nearly always lead to a low hand being possible, meaning at best you chop the pot. The flop brings a made straight, a diamond flush draw, and a made low draw. You have one pair, no flush draw, and a very weak low draw. Now is the correct time to fold, given that winning any of this pot is highly unlikely. Good luck as you continue to learn, and don't be afraid to post more hands to be critiqued; you have explained your actions in the hand and your decisions, which will always improve your game! CoxyLboro
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    Thanks for the advice mate. like i said it is nice challenging myself at a new game.

I will probably be posting some more hands in the next few weeks

Cheers again

Rob