You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Grading the England football team

Heres what I rated players tonight be interested to know how you rated them.

Green 6 (felt sorry for goal dumb mistake got lucky with alleged world class save)
Johnson 8 (good performance and didnt look defensively fragile)
King - 4 (Injured or just not up to the grade?)
Terry - 6 (Not helped by King or Carragher)
Cole - 6 (Not bad but expect more)
Lennon - 5 (Some flashes but inconsistent)
Lampard - 7 (bit more invention when on the ball would be nice)
Gerrard - 5 (some wasteful passing giving away possesion in dangerous areas)
Milner - 3 (Would have been tempted to sub him before the card, moved like a carthorse and looked lost shame)
Heskey - 7 (Had he taken his opportunity would be arguing for man of the match, won most things in the air and kept defense occupied, good vision for assist)
Rooney - 7 (came to life in last half hour pity he didnt start that way as looked like he could dictate game)

Subs
Wright - Phillips - 6 (needed to find end product but at least stopped the USA walking down the right side by posing a threat)
Carragher - 4 (Liability)
Crouch - 5 ( did nothing but with no time)

Comments

• edited June 2010
     Agree with you on most but I think you have been a bit harsh on King who made some timely interceptions and Gerrard who seemed to be everywere. I also cant see how you can give Rooney the same as Heskey as soon Rooney got the ball he turned into trouble and lost the ball!
  • edited June 2010
    Gerard had a blinder.  agree with you on crouch. rooney didnt turn up.hesky is just pants and i dont know how he has managed to play pro football all his life and how he even gets in the squad. you watch lennon he will shine just needs another game he super for the spurs. i agree with milner he was lost. johnson played really well. and cole wasnt bad even lampard can do better and so can king maybe dawson needs a game. unlucky green can happen to the best of them. 

that my verdict 

• edited June 2010
    How can you give Lampard a better overall than Gerrard? Gerrard was a class above Lampard last night and Rooney was awful on the ball lost it most of the time. IMO i would have Joe Hart in goal not Green
  • edited June 2010
    rooney,cole,milner,lampard and swp never turned up, carragher looked woefully slow and surprise surprise king lasts 1/2 a game.
    johnson looked top class, heskey did exaclty what was asked of him hold the ball up and bring others into the game that was about it.
    king is too much of a risk and should be on the next plane home having to take him of at half time meant cappello couldnt make any changes until late on in case of any other injurys the second half was crying out for joe cole and defoe but capello cant do it because we have to waste a change on king
  • edited June 2010
    ROB GREEN FOR A KNIGHTHOOD!!!!!
  • edited June 2010

Won my man of the match bet with Gerard (9/2) and agree with it. He was everywhere

As for heskey, he did ok (for him) but think Rooney would have been more in game if heskey was replaced

When he slid in taking a big divert out of the grass before putting his boot into Tim Howard, Rooney was behind him and probably would have scored, but yet again he was in the way. His passes were all quite simple and nothing spectular and when he was through on goal i was actaully suprised he hit the target.

What wound me up was the commentaters on ITV bigging him up (Andy Townsend) . One qoute for example "A stirling header there by Heskey"  -  From a throw in, he headed it back all of 3 yards to the  player who took the throw. What was stirling about that?  Yet on BBC with Mark Lawrenson he was having a go at him.

When we need goals who would you pick? -  Crouch ( 7 goals from 6 appearances - most off the subs bench) or Heskey ( 7 goals in his england career - 59 caps i think) and those goals came when he used to be able to play a bit.

Green        4  (also looked nervous when coming for ball in box)
    Johnson     9  (hope he keeps it up)
    King          7   (Solid as ever)
    Terry         5   (wasted to many passes)
    Cole         6   (was probably under orders to stay back abit)
    Lennon     5   (suprisingly quiet)
    Lampard   6   (nothing like club perfomances, but always chance of creating goal from nothing)
    Gerrard     9   (looked like he was playing defence . midfield and attack)
    Milner       4   (useless)
    Heskey     6  (ive moaned enough about him)
    Rooney    7   (kept having to come to deep, but kept his cool when being brought down a few times)
    subs - Wright-Phillips 7  Crouch 5(not enough time) and Carragher 5 (will prob end up giving a penalty away)