You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Help please

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,

i got challenged to an all round poker game. 10 hands hold 'em, 10 hands omaha and 10 hands stud and that is rotated until one one player remains. 

The Omaha im ok at, the hold 'em is my favorite so need mp help. But ive never played stud before and i dont want to back out of a challenge. Can someone help me out please. I know we dont have stud here on sky so not sure if ill get much in the way of a hand, but even just an ABC would be ok for me as long as i can understand what im doing i can bring my knowledge of the other games into it.

Thanks, Don.  

Comments

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Help please:
    Hi guys, i got challenged to an all round poker game. 10 hands hold 'em, 10 hands omaha and 10 hands stud and that is rotated until one one player remains.  The Omaha im ok at, the hold 'em is my favorite so need mp help. But ive never played stud before and i dont want to back out of a challenge. Can someone help me out please. I know we dont have stud here on sky so not sure if ill get much in the way of a hand, but even just an ABC would be ok for me as long as i can understand what im doing i can bring my knowledge of the other games into it. Thanks, Don.  
    Posted by The_Don90
    Like with a lot of poker once you get any good then you can ignore some beginners advice, but in this instance you're mainly going to be looking at avoiding disastrous stud rounds because of bad play (rather than actually playing well in them)

For a start stud is the only one where all you are going to pay to play is the antes. Obviously the game could be played for huge antes, but generally speaking it's a lot cheaper to not play hands in stud then it is in the other two. i.e. Don't feel like you have to play hands - hold back and wait for strong hands.

The most important thing to remember is to keep track of the dead cards that other players get dealt to them. At a more advanced level this enables you to put players on hands and also to work out their chances of out drawing you - but for now all you need to be sure of is if you're drawing to a straight or a flush whether it's still viable.

Roughly speaking, if you've seen 4 of your out cards dead then you should consider folding and if it gets to 5 you almost certainly should fold.

Starting hands: 
    Rolled up trips: if you start with 3 of a kind then at this level just jam the pot, you might get everybody to fold and pick up a small pot and you might get outdrawn and lose a big pot, but most of the time you're going to win a medium to large pot - obv if one of your opponents has a low door card and then picks up 2 more of the same suit and starts reraising you there's a good chance he's picked up at least 4 to a flush so you might have to slow down and hope to hit a house - but generally speaking you're going to be ok if you start with 3 of a kind.

forget about small and medium pairs, you probably won't hit trips and even if you do it'll probably be obvious you have so you won't get paid off. And forget about hitting 2 pair - you'll usually be beaten by at least a higher 2 pair.

Big pairs are good, but you're drawing to hit 2 pair. You don't necessarily have to fold if you only end up with a pair of kings for example, but on 6th and 7th you're probably better of check calling rather than betting and risk having to call an extra bet from someone who has made their hand.

3 to a flush and 3 to a straight: don't bother going for small straights or flushes - if you miss your draws you want to win hands by hitting 2 pair (and sometimes just one big pair) and just as with starting with a small pair; if you start with small straight and flush draws even if you hit 2 pair you're likely to still be beaten.

That's a rough beginners guide, obviously if you play it more and learn more then you're likely to amend or discard some of that - but for this particular incidence then that might be enough to keep you in the game long enough for it to get back round to the other games.
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks, thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for.
  • edited June 2010
    Since i started playing poker on sky poker i find that one day im playing out of my skin winning most hands i play with all sorts of good bad and downright ugly hands and the next day im losing with what i think are reallly good hands. I also find it very hard to fold when i have a hand like suited cards or pairs of twos three etc. Am i just to eager and should i slow down and think about what im doing for just that second or two more. Your thoughts and comments would be appriciated

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: What am i doing wrong....:
    Since i started playing poker on sky poker i find that one day im playing out of my skin winning most hands i play with all sorts of good bad and downright ugly hands and the next day im losing with what i think are reallly good hands. I also find it very hard to fold when i have a hand like suited cards or pairs of twos three etc. Am i just to eager and should i slow down and think about what im doing for just that second or two more. Your thoughts and comments would be appriciated   
    Posted by tomred64
    I was once told when i was learning poker, quick desisions are usually the wrong ones. Think about every move your opponent has made before you call, raise or trap check.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: What am i doing wrong....:
    I was once told when i was learning poker, quick desisions are usually the wrong ones. Think about every move your opponent has made before you call, raise or trap check.

Thanks The_Don90 . Will try that next time I'm playing and i will try and not lose my patients