You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Right move, wrong time? Or utter stupidity?

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
16 away from a Primo cash after previously having had hideous luck in the tournament.

Then this happened. I suspected a button steal from the big stack and felt I could scare him off as it was so near the bubble? And my hand wasn't that shabby really?

Bad move? Stupid move? Or just unlucky to meet a hand?
kcxyz Small blind  400.00 400.00 9495.00
bandini Big blind  800.00 1200.00 7836.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

corbett04 Fold     
THE_BRES Fold     
LMAJOD Fold     
pokarito Raise  2400.00 3600.00 14370.00
kcxyz Fold     
bandini All-in  7836.00 11436.00 0.00
pokarito Call  6236.00 17672.00 8134.00
bandini Show
  • K

pokarito Show
  • A
  • K

Flop

Turn

River

• A

pokarito Win Pair of Aces 17672.00  25806.00

Comments

• edited June 2010

I fall into the trap that any late position raise, is always in my mind a button steal.

People get dealt as many strong hands on the button, as they do under the gun, so it's a dangerous game. How often had this guy been raising in late pos?

If he'd been at it alot, then it was ul for you, and vwp by him, that his table image has paid off and his aggression rewarded..

However if he hadn't done it much, you have to give him credit.

I think he's committed nerly a third of your stack, so unless he's stealing with complete rubbish, he isnt going anywhere, and will make a crying call with marginal hands, ace8+, and pair, suited pictures etc.

Try and get it in first and maximise the chance of him folding, especially with the bubble thrown into the equation, and players will be becoming very tight nd passive (should have already identified who these are) and a shove with 7-2 with lots of fold equity rather than a re-shove here with KT is a better play.

• edited June 2010
    Once he raises that much, he can't fold to your shove, also it's a 3x raise which for me means a stronger hand he wants action with, if it was say 1800-2000 then maybe it's weak but for me I am NEVER shoving all in here, way too much risk involved. I would much rather wait till the sb and push with any two knowing kcxyz is in the same position as you with short stack.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Right move, wrong time? Or utter stupidity?:
    Once he raises that much, he can't fold to your shove, also it's a 3x raise which for me means a stronger hand he wants action with, if it was say 1800-2000 then maybe it's weak but for me I am NEVER shoving all in here, way too much risk involved. I would much rather wait till the sb and push with any two knowing kcxyz is in the same position as you with short stack.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    +1
  • edited June 2010
    As a tight tournament player im almost always folding KT to a strong raise. Ill only re-raise if i see weakness involved.

In this case, youve re-raised when your opponent is commited, thats the biggest mistake i see here, we all make misreads like this though. Im just a little confused why youd risk your tournament on KT. I understand why you make the move but KT just isnt quite a strong enough hand to have a pop with in my personal opinion, many will disagree. If you let it go you still have 9BB which gives you time to hit a big PP or AK AQ region yourself, and then you are the one making the shove, which will always make you feel slightly better about your position.
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    +2
  • edited June 2010
    As a tight tournament player im almost always folding KT to a strong raise. Ill only re-raise if i see weakness involved. In this case, youve re-raised when your opponent is commited, thats the biggest mistake i see here, we all make misreads like this though. Im just a little confused why youd risk your tournament on KT. I understand why you make the move but KT just isnt quite a strong enough hand to have a pop with in my personal opinion, many will disagree. If you let it go you still have 9BB which gives you time to hit a big PP or AK AQ region yourself, and then you are the one making the shove, which will always make you feel slightly better about your position.
    Posted by The_Don90

absolutely