You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash game help.

edited June 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys, im trying to learn to move from tournament playing to playing cash games most of the time. Mostly due to runnig bad in tournaments but still playing reasonable tournament poker. Ive got an example of one hand i lost badly (i think i may have missread the entire situation) but i wouldnt usually expect a call like this in a tournament set up so i thought i as good.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
kcxyz Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £24.43
tyranus Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £2.40
  Your hole cards

xCall  £0.10 £0.25 £25.77
hairyhaggi Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  £0.40 £0.65 £8.09
THEHAWK Fold     
kcxyz Fold     
tyranus Fold     
xCall  £0.30 £0.95 £25.47
Flop

xCheck     
The_Don90 Bet  £0.48 £1.43 £7.61
xRaise  £2.39 £3.82 £23.08
The_Don90 All-in  £7.61 £11.43 £0.00
xCall  £5.70 £17.13 £17.38
xShow

The_Don90 Show

Turn

• A

River

xWin Straight to the 8 £15.85  £33.23
Looking at this, this is how i would usually play my tournament game, maybe i wouldnt usually jam on the flop but i had my opponent on an over pair so decided it was time to tell him i was beating an over pair.

So could anyone look at how i could develop this into reasonable cash play rather than tournament play.

A quick walkthrough of whats going through my head while playing this hand.

Pre-flop - UTG limps, i suspect im up against AK AQ or and over pair. I decide a raise 4xBB would be able to tell me this, usually an over pair would likley re-raise in a tournament and i can let it go.

Flop - Ive hit my trips, i see a flush draw, but only when my opponent re-raises my half pot bet do i realise the straight there. However the opponent had been doing these re-raises alot and i hadnt seen a single hand, i then consider the pre-flop play, would 67 limp UTG, in tournament i certainly wouldnt expect it. So i decide hes on an over pair and shove to show im beating all whole pairs.

Turn + River - Please pair the board was all that was going through my head while slowly starting to make notes on my ppponent, by now i realised i was just a passenger caught in a trap i never seen comming. I realised id played the hand completly wrong, but its the way i would always play it in a tournament and id usually expect to be up against pocket 9's or stronger.

Comments

• edited June 2010

Don, you played the hand completely fine, not completely wrong. - (bet more on flop, 75p - ish, charge the draws and get paid for your 2nd nuts)

Where could you possibly think you went wrong? - Because he happened to flop the nuts and you are expected to know this??

It a complete nightmare flop - they happen all the time wether your playing tournys, cash, or sit n gos.

Theye gonna seem to happen more in cash as you are, or at least you should be, deepstacked 100% of the time, and you see lots of flops, whereas in MTT's alot of the decisions are pre flop.

Whenyou hit that flop hard, as you did, all that should be on your mind is getting the money in the middle. You managed to do it and just got super unlucky.

People speculate with a wider range of hands in cash - all suited connecters and pairs are played, sometimes you go to the flop 3/4 handed, theyre looking to hit a big flop to win a massive pot.

Just very unlucky, and an example of why you need to be rolled to play cash.

God Luck
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash game help.:
    Don, you played the hand completely fine, not completely wrong. - (bet more on flop, 75p - ish, charge the draws and get paid for your 2nd nuts) Where could you possibly think you went wrong? - Because he happened to flop the nuts and you are expected to know this?? It a complete nightmare flop - they happen all the time wether your playing tournys, cash, or sit n gos. Theye gonna seem to happen more in cash as you are, or at least you should be, deepstacked 100% of the time, and you see lots of flops, whereas in MTT's alot of the decisions are pre flop. Whenyou hit that flop hard, as you did, all that should be on your mind is getting the money in the middle. You managed to do it and just got super unlucky. People speculate with a wider range of hands in cash - all suited connecters and pairs are played, sometimes you go to the flop 3/4 handed, theyre looking to hit a big flop to win a massive pot. Just very unlucky, and an example of why you need to be rolled to play cash. God Luck
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thanks DOHHHHHHH

i think ill be back on the 2/4p tables at some point having a little swim got 3.47 left, so should hopefully be enough to start building back up if all goes well.

I felt i just played the hand wrong for cash game styles, i hadnt played a hand for a while, i guess i was playing just too tight, i may need to loosen up a bit for cash games, which is something im not used to. Im used to having to play tight expessially not long after i sit down at a table. Playing the bounty hunters was always my favorite as a result im used to only playing PP and AK for the first half hour or so.

Glad i played it correctly, i felt id just played it completely wrong, as you said people will play these and i was 100% confident i was ahead which in a tournament i imagine i usually would be. I got my read completely wrong, but as youve said it was maybe just unlucky.

I will have another go when im feeling a little more ready, going to rtry a few freerolls with a wider range and see what happens.

Thanks DOHHHHHH
  • edited June 2010
    I wouldnt mind a raise to 5x bb pre as limps are always suited conns. I think ur raise on the flop is a pot mash, which is fine, just ul in this instance as he already had it but most of the time that would be some kinda fd/sd combo ....so many hands u beat that u wanna charge the max.

Generally the rule at micros is be agressive when u got a hand and charge the monkeys as much as is realistic to play their monkey hands.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash game help.:
    I wouldnt mind a raise to 5x bb pre as limps are always suited conns. I think ur raise on the flop is a pot mash, which is fine, just ul in this instance as he already had it but most of the time that would be some kinda fd/sd combo ....so many hands u beat that u wanna charge the max. Generally the rule at micros is be agressive when u got a hand and charge the monkeys as much as is realistic to play their monkey hands.
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    Thanks, Im used to playing reasonable players, unlike the normal cash players who are normally like the film rounders used to playing the "lesser talented players" and taking their moneys. Although this is something that i think would be extrelly useful to get into, thats for the feedback. Im kind of glad that i played the hand correctly as i thought i was just playing pure terrible for a while.  
  • edited June 2010
    possibly make a bigger re raise pre but you've done nothing wrong, just be aware that in cash ppl will call a lot looser which will most of the time work out for you as they wont hit thier draws but this time he did. even once the cards are turned over tho youve got nearly 30% chance plus you could pair the turn card so i dont think you played that bad at all!!