You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I Hate Rebuys

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat

That's it really

Comments

• edited June 2010
    why?   That's it really
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to I Hate Rebuys:
    That's it really
    Posted by aussie09
     I think i',m with you on this. Played tourny on another site and after an hour there where about a 1000 more players than at the start. Late reg, re buys $1 torny was heading to go on for about 6hours.

Not for me ....

• edited June 2010
    Well, I think we're beginning to get some idea of sky's "current business model" and I wouldn't be at all surprised if late regs isn't the next "innovation" off the taxi rank.
  • edited June 2010

How about a proper main event rebuy tournament.

Surely if you're going to do something, you might as well do it properly.

£4k guarenteed, £7/8 buy in + rake, 8pm start.

• edited June 2010
    I hate them too and would rather eat my laptop to avoid playing them!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: I Hate Rebuys:
    I hate them too and would rather eat my laptop to avoid playing them!
    Posted by BananaDog
    Mmmmm...  laptop

D'oh!
  • edited June 2010
    I just don't get the way some people play them. Yesterday i was in a speed one that we were down to the last 8. People are still re-buying for 1.5k in chips when the blinds are 3k - 6k. Re-buying for half a small blind?? just don't get it but they are good rake gens as far as tourneys go for the site so they will stay
  • edited June 2010
    I must admit, I avoid them like the plague, I used to enjoy playng the 1 min roulette just for a bit of fun on the odd occasion, unfortunatley they are now rebuys sigh :(
  • edited June 2010
    WHAT?!!

I love a decent rebuy!!

Basically you play solid ABC for the rebuy period whilst everyone else donks around and bumps up the prize pool.. Then you get your add on and whilst everyone one else tightens up you get AGGRO on their Bahoonies and run rampant over the table.. then after a few levels of that you can relax and play proper poker!!

LOVE IT!!!

Of course you have to have a maximum amount to spend in mind first and if you do get unlucky treat it like a freezeout and walk away!!

SIMPLES!!

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!

• edited June 2010

I hear what you say Lisa .... but it's just so futile

Last one I played I cashed... but it just went on and on and on.  it's like playing roulette or bingo or snap.  you have to stay playing until others give up.

if i see tha it is a rebuy I avoid it. 

I have far better things to do with my life... like writing on the forum.. hey!, wait a minute...

• edited June 2010
    I hear what you say Lisa .... but it's just so futile Last one I played I cashed... but it just went on and on and on.  it's like playing roulette or bingo or snap.  you have to stay playing until others give up. if i see tha it is a rebuy I avoid it.  I have far better things to do with my life... like writing on the forum.. hey!, wait a minute...
    Posted by aussie09

Rebuy periods are limited so this isn't really the case. Typically on Sky they seem to last for the first hour when the add-on is available.
  • edited June 2010

Don't like rebuys, cant understand why they are taking tournaments that got decent runners (500gtd, velocity and Take on Tikay) and turning them into rebuys. Why not just introduce new tournaments instead of spoiling the others?

• edited June 2010
    I hear what you say Lisa .... but it's just so futile Last one I played I cashed... but it just went on and on and on.  it's like playing roulette or bingo or snap.  you have to stay playing until others give up. if i see tha it is a rebuy I avoid it.  I have far better things to do with my life... like writing on the forum.. hey!, wait a minute...
    Posted by aussie09
    lol Aussie.

+1 on what Vince said.. 

The rebuy is generally only for the first hour of first three levels. You'll get a lot of players who will raise, reraise and all-in with pretty much any two hoping to hit and make an early double up. If they miss they simply rebuy. It's up to you if you want to be one of these players and get involved in the gamble which can be great if you hit and see you with a massive stack in a fairly short time.. or if you want to take advantage of this and only play your good hands in position which can also see you end up with a massive stack in a fairly short time only without as much risk or expense.

It's also great if you are really enjoying the tourney and get unlucky and can afford to BR a few rebuys because it's a lifeline. The first hour after the rebuy period ends is when the crazy LAGs tighten up so as not to lose their 'investment' in the first few hands and this can also work well for both types of player. If the crazy rebuy guy now has a massive stack he can change gears and make moves when and where necessary and the ABC player can now be aware of the collective change in play from the small/mid stacks and steal chips left right and centre.

The fundamental point here as always is staying within your BR.

So long as you realize that a rebuy game has these two starting stages (rebuy and immediately post rebuy) and play them accordingly you should be fine. It can be a lot of fun and there are some crazy hands in play. Yes it can be a pain when your AA is busted by 92os but it's also wonderful when you double or treble up because they miss.

I'm all for mixing it up! A little something for everyone..

If it's just not for you that's cool.. :) 
  • edited June 2010

it would have be better not to have applied the rebuy structure to existing regular games. 

it might be fun for some who want to play for an hour (to the first break) only to be made equal in chips to a rebuyer.  for those who like that then, sure, have touranments created especially for them.

but skypoker have changed the character of some existing games in the schedule.

rather than selling the idea of rebuys and add-on games it would be nice to know that skypoker are listening to the views of the dismayed.

but all is ok.. i don't have to play in them.

• edited June 2010
    Give me a rebuy over a bounty hunter any day of the week!
  • edited June 2010
    Give me a rebuy over a bounty hunter any day of the week!
    Posted by dantb10
    +1 bounty hunter is my least favourite form of tourney
  • edited June 2010
    it would have be better not to have applied the rebuy structure to existing regular games.  it might be fun for some who want to play for an hour (to the first break) only to be made equal in chips to a rebuyer.  for those who like that then, sure, have touranments created especially for them. but skypoker have changed the character of some existing games in the schedule. rather than selling the idea of rebuys and add-on games it would be nice to know that skypoker are listening to the views of the dismayed. but all is ok.. i don't have to play in them.
    Posted by aussie09
    A big +1 to that Aussie

The case in point at the moment is the one min Roulette - some folks will have enjoyed playing them from time to time - now they have been completely ruined by the re-buy feature.

If Sky are bringing in re-buys as an additional feature (all fine and dandy) then why is EVERY hourly roullette game now a re-buy?

Where's the choice in that?