You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

To the trusty sky community!!

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
Hey guys i hope you are all well and doing well at the tables. Okay the question i pose for you today is, what is the best way to build a bankroll from a small amount. For some reason i seem to struggle in cash games but do really well in MTT's? Is this common? anyways guys all suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thanks Guys

Mick

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I am the exact same. I struggle in cash but do well in MTT, however the best way i find to do this, is play as much as you can when your playing well and hitting. The minute you hit a bad run, run for your life i didnt and im rebuilding again. It isnt easy, at first i played for the money, then once youve got that play for the win you have nothing to lose. A win is always important, for BR and confidence. However if you have a small B make sure cashing is first priority. I teand to do the bounty hunters, take 3 early heads im breaking even, then make a challenge to start going for the win, i find limping into the money is the worst thing possible.
  • edited June 2010
    Hey Mick.. 

I would suggest S&Gs and Dyms.. depending on the level you are talking about!

I rarely do well in cash and MTTs can be a gamble. I play them more for the sheer joy of the structure.. But you can satellite into some of the bigger tourneys for a minimal amount.

Also freerolls can be a great way of making 'free cash' especially if you do have luck in MTTS. Check out our current World Cup promotion on the home page!! Lots going on there for the MTT lover!

The most important thing here is to be mindfull of your Bank roll and don't get involved in anything you can't afford to lose.

Good Luck!!

xLM

• edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: To the trusty sky community!!:
    Hey Mick..  I would suggest S&Gs and Dyms.. depending on the level you are talking about! I rarely do well in cash and MTTs can be a gamble and I play them more for the sheer joy of the structure.. But you can satellite into some of the bigger tourneys for a minimal amount. Also freerolls can be a great way of making 'free cash' especially if you do have luck in MTTS. Check out our current World Cup promotion on the home page!! Lots going on there for the MTT lover! The most important thing here is to be mindfull of your Bank roll and don't get involved in anything you can't afford to lose. Good Luck!! xLM
    Posted by Lisa_Long
    +1 :)
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: To the trusty sky community!! : +1 :)
    Posted by acebarry10

I just thought.. 'What would Barry say' :)

Morning Sir! x
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: To the trusty sky community!! : I just thought.. 'What would Barry say' :) Morning Sir! x
    Posted by Lisa_Long
    morning????
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: To the trusty sky community!! : morning????
    Posted by 35suited
    Yes!! MORNING Gareth!! Anytime between waking up and having breakfast is morning no?! lol
  • edited June 2010
    Hey Mick..  I would suggest S&Gs and Dyms.. depending on the level you are talking about! I rarely do well in cash and MTTs can be a gamble. I play them more for the sheer joy of the structure.. But you can satellite into some of the bigger tourneys for a minimal amount. Also freerolls can be a great way of making 'free cash' especially if you do have luck in MTTS. Check out our current World Cup promotion on the home page!! Lots going on there for the MTT lover! The most important thing here is to be mindfull of your Bank roll and don't get involved in anything you can't afford to lose. Good Luck!! xLM
    Posted by Lisa_Long
    u mean like omawhatnow!?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: To the trusty sky community!! : I just thought.. 'What would Barry say' :) Morning Sir! x
    Posted by Lisa_Long
    Good Morning LM :)
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: To the trusty sky community!! : Yes!! MORNING Gareth!! Anytime between waking up and having breakfast is morning no?! lol
    Posted by Lisa_Long
    sighs, its alright for some, been up with the kids 8 hours already!! :(
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: To the trusty sky community!! : u mean like omawhatnow!?
    Posted by lynx3ffect

LOL. Yes. *sigh* not my best moment last night..
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: To the trusty sky community!! : Yes!! MORNING Gareth!! Anytime between waking up and having breakfast is morning no?! lol
    Posted by Lisa_Long
    I'd go as far as to say that any time between waking up and having "lunch"(or dinner if you prefer) is the morning.
  • edited June 2010
    How much is a small amount and at what level are you happy playing at? ie, 2/4, 4/8 or higher.

For micro stakes cash, sit in with the max buy in, sit back and watch the table. Play like a nit for the 1st 30 mins or so and only play premium hands until your settled in. Unlike tourneys you don't have to play, as your not under any pressure from raising blinds. Don't chase str8 or flush draws, as they'r likely to miss and cost you dearly. I personally do very little bluffing at these stakes, simply because it doesn't cost that much to call, and you will be called.

It's a grind at these stakes, which is profitable if your willing to put the time in.

Not much i know, but i hope its of some help.

Good luck

Paul

• edited June 2010
    How much is a small amount and at what level are you happy playing at? ie, 2/4, 4/8 or higher. For micro stakes cash, sit in with the max buy in, sit back and watch the table. Play like a nit for the 1st 30 mins or so and only play premium hands until your settled in. Unlike tourneys you don't have to play, as your not under any pressure from raising blinds. Don't chase str8 or flush draws, as they'r likely to miss and cost you dearly. I personally do very little bluffing at these stakes, simply because it doesn't cost that much to call, and you will be called. It's a grind at these stakes, which if profitable if your willing to put the time in. Not much i know, but i hope its of some help. Good luck Paul
    Posted by -Typhoon-
    OOH Well that's useful to me!! Thanks Paul! x
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: To the trusty sky community!! : OOH Well that's useful to me!! Thanks Paul! x
    Posted by Lisa_Long

+1.... but without the x

• edited June 2010
    How much is a small amount and at what level are you happy playing at? ie, 2/4, 4/8 or higher. For micro stakes cash, sit in with the max buy in, sit back and watch the table. Play like a nit for the 1st 30 mins or so and only play premium hands until your settled in. Unlike tourneys you don't have to play, as your not under any pressure from raising blinds. Don't chase str8 or flush draws, as they'r likely to miss and cost you dearly. I personally do very little bluffing at these stakes, simply because it doesn't cost that much to call, and you will be called. It's a grind at these stakes, which if profitable if your willing to put the time in. Not much i know, but i hope its of some help. Good luck Paul
    Posted by -Typhoon-
    +1 to LML's comment.

Sounds very good advice. I've never got anywhere with cash but that post is well worth bearing in mind and is quite inspiring me to have another dip, many thanks Paul.

• edited June 2010
    Hi mickgreen--- I always find the 2.20 deep stacks to be the best mtt bankroll builders, a solid showing in these will usually bring a cash reward, try to play the ones where there are 30 runners or more (evenings), so 5 places paid-- build a solid image till the blinds get big, then, In with the redcurrants!!--floppa whoppa!!
  • edited June 2010
    hi i built a roll from £10 to £120 then £5 to £67 by mainly playing £2 dyms.

i now play more cash but if i have a bad run at cash i go back to dyms to build the roll back up.

hope this helps mate.