You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A genuine suggestion that I think could improve the site

edited June 2010 in Poker Chat
Right I have came up with an idea that I feel could improve the sky poker site.  I am totally fed up with people fishing, I've read lots of posts on here about how they lose more than they win and they are ideal opponents and they will ensure I get paid...... RUBBISH!  I constantly lose to these types of players!  Now fair enough if someone is new to poker and figuring out their game etc etc I understand that, I had to learn the ins and outs and to be honest I am still learning and probably will do for sometime, so I suggest that every player gets rated and their rating is displayed along side their name.  I have noticed if you click on a players name you get a "profile" box that never has anything in it, what if this was used to display each individual players achievements, how long they have been a player on sky poker, list what kind of tournaments they have won or cashed in, what position they came, players could even rate each other anonymously so if you play against some one who you think is a good player rate them 10 out of 10 or a terrible fish 0 out of 10 or create a "fish list" so when a player does this to you they can be named.

I am pretty good at knowing what to bet and when to bet etc but if someone is calling everything you cant possibly allow for that in your game and it turns into a game of chance and not a game of skill.  You try your best to "put opponents on hands" and it turns out they dont even have one till the river!!!! its a joke!

I would love to play other people who are on a similar level of poker to myself,  this isn't about bankroll or anything other then I am starting to lose my enjoyment of the game.  Surely sky can come up with something to allow us some choice in who we play against.  Sky poker is a "community" so let us get to know a little about each others skill levels.

I am totally prepared for the backlash and to be called a bitter loony but I genuinely think I have the makings of a good idea here.

Comments

• edited June 2010

good idea.. but extend that thinking.  what about if the info told you what two cards they are holding

not meant as a backlash, meant to be humour.

ps  don't worry about the fish

• edited June 2010

and... if you sit down at a table and cant identify the fish....

• edited June 2010
    I don't even know where to start, so I don't think I will.
  • edited June 2010
    ok...I see where your coming from but I must disagree for 1 reason....
    When i started on here I sharkscoped a few players and made notes which included things like "minus 27% roi..fish!" as they even had the fish icon on sharkscope, "good idea!" I hear you say?
    Well no it was a terrible idea because if there was someone on my table with really bad notes I refused to believe anything they did asuming they were just bluffing or fishing. I lost games this was because at the end of the day even fish get dealt good cards and knowing they were bad players made me over concentrate on everything they did rather than running with my own style of play which I usually do much better with.

...just something to take into consideration ;)
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A genuine suggestion that I think could improve the site:
    ok...I see where your coming from but I must disagree for 1 reason.... When i started on here I sharkscoped a few players and made notes which included things like "minus 27% roi..fish!" as they even had the fish icon on sharkscope, "good idea!" I hear you say? Well no it was a terrible idea because if there was someone on my table with really bad notes I refused to believe anything they did asuming they were just bluffing or fishing. I lost games this was because at the end of the day even fish get dealt good cards and knowing they were bad players made me over concentrate on everything they did rather than running with my own style of play which I usually do much better with. ...just something to take into consideration ;)
    Posted by BananaDog
    omg..I think this is my first ever sensible post and even involved a little bit of poker!
  • edited June 2010
    It's an interesting idea GreggsTheBaker, but not one that I agree with.

If I've understood you correctly, you're advocating a clinical and Utopian Westworld (The Yul Brynner film, not the Kevin Costner load-of-tosh), whereby people of similar standards and styles compete. I don't concur with that... it's a tad bland for me.

Part of the allure of Poker, is it's randomness. If you subtract that, it's like plucking the Chilli's out of a Jalfrezi... You don't sweat – and you remove the fun. I don't know about you, but I love sweaty fun. In fact, I'm available tomorrow evening, if you're interested.

My point is, I'm opposed to this whole modern 'watering-down' (not the Art Garfunkel version) of competition. I see it in schools, where they engineer Sports Day so that there are no winners. That's a nonsense, and it doesn't reflect the brutal realities of life. 

To win in anything, you must work; be diligent; be intelligent, and cagey. I see no reason to dilute this recipe. It's fun and unpredictable. Life is boring without the odd curve-ball being lobbed at you, no?

In summary, I say: embrace the random-element; expand your horizons; and mix-up your experiences. 

Heinz made a fortune out of pursuing varieties... if you're diligent, so can you my son.. so can you...

• edited June 2010
    In Response to A genuine suggestion that I think could improve the site:
    Right I have came up with an idea that I feel could improve the sky poker site.  I am totally fed up with people fishing, I've read lots of posts on here about how they lose more than they win and they are ideal opponents and they will ensure I get paid...... RUBBISH!  I constantly lose to these types of players!  Now fair enough if someone is new to poker and figuring out their game etc etc I understand that, I had to learn the ins and outs and to be honest I am still learning and probably will do for sometime, so I suggest that every player gets rated and their rating is displayed along side their name.  I have noticed if you click on a players name you get a "profile" box that never has anything in it, what if this was used to display each individual players achievements, how long they have been a player on sky poker, list what kind of tournaments they have won or cashed in, what position they came, players could even rate each other anonymously so if you play against some one who you think is a good player rate them 10 out of 10 or a terrible fish 0 out of 10 or create a "fish list" so when a player does this to you they can be named. I am pretty good at knowing what to bet and when to bet etc but if someone is calling everything you cant possibly allow for that in your game and it turns into a game of chance and not a game of skill.  You try your best to "put opponents on hands" and it turns out they dont even have one till the river!!!! its a joke! I would love to play other people who are on a similar level of poker to myself,  this isn't about bankroll or anything other then I am starting to lose my enjoyment of the game.  Surely sky can come up with something to allow us some choice in who we play against.  Sky poker is a "community" so let us get to know a little about each others skill levels. I am totally prepared for the backlash and to be called a bitter loony but I genuinely think I have the makings of a good idea here.
    Posted by GREGGYBOY
    neighbour, i only started playing at the end of feb this year. i soon realised that there are many different type of people playing poker, not just on this site but all over the world. if you want to play you need to accept that they are out there and that you will come across them at some time. if you can't or wont accept this then i suggest that you either try different levels where different standards of player tend to be present, or as the 'man' would say...go play a different game...tiddlywinks i believe was mentioned.
  • edited June 2010
    There are many reasons why this would not be a good idea.

Poker Sharks taking advantage of learners and poor to average players is one of them.

You also have the right to protect your own personal data, which is one reason you can make your profile private or public.

Being able to use someones profile and data to take advantage of a players ability would I imagine be widely abused and therefore would need to have an opt in/opt out policy for the players protection. This idea would then be pointless as good players and/or bad players would opt out.

If I was playing live, would I really want a sign on my head telling other players my abilty on a scale of 1 to 10 before I sat at the table? I think not.

Poker is not just about learning to play, its also about learning to read other players on your table and the better you become the easier it is to read other players you are playing against.

Giving online players an ability rating would give other players at their table a distinct advantage and therefore I think this would be detrimental to the game.
  • edited June 2010
    If you can get someone to work out my game let me know because I am the schizophrenic of poker. Im tight and loose aggressive and passive. I dont know my style until I start playing it often depends on the table, the cards I get or even what mood Im in!
  • edited June 2010
    Heinz made a fortune out of pursuing varieties... if you're diligent, so can you my son.. so can you...
    Posted by FlutNush

57 is the magic number. 

But in the poker world we all know it's 56.
  • edited June 2010
    If you can get someone to work out my game let me know because I am the schizophrenic of poker. Im tight and loose aggressive and passive. I dont know my style until I start playing it often depends on the table, the cards I get or even what mood Im in!
    Posted by Donut64
    SNAP!
  • edited June 2010
    Right I have came up with an idea that I feel could improve the sky poker site.  I am totally fed up with people fishing, I've read lots of posts on here about how they lose more than they win and they are ideal opponents and they will ensure I get paid...... RUBBISH!  I constantly lose to these types of players!  Now fair enough if someone is new to poker and figuring out their game etc etc I understand that, I had to learn the ins and outs and to be honest I am still learning and probably will do for sometime, so I suggest that every player gets rated and their rating is displayed along side their name.  I have noticed if you click on a players name you get a "profile" box that never has anything in it, what if this was used to display each individual players achievements, how long they have been a player on sky poker, list what kind of tournaments they have won or cashed in, what position they came, players could even rate each other anonymously so if you play against some one who you think is a good player rate them 10 out of 10 or a terrible fish 0 out of 10 or create a "fish list" so when a player does this to you they can be named. I am pretty good at knowing what to bet and when to bet etc but if someone is calling everything you cant possibly allow for that in your game and it turns into a game of chance and not a game of skill.  You try your best to "put opponents on hands" and it turns out they dont even have one till the river!!!! its a joke! I would love to play other people who are on a similar level of poker to myself,  this isn't about bankroll or anything other then I am starting to lose my enjoyment of the game.  Surely sky can come up with something to allow us some choice in who we play against.  Sky poker is a "community" so let us get to know a little about each others skill levels. I am totally prepared for the backlash and to be called a bitter loony but I genuinely think I have the makings of a good idea here.
    Posted by GREGGYBOY
    I wholeheartedly disagree  wjth this idea but i see where you`re coming from. I  agree with what Trev and Flutnush have said in their earlier posts. (see poker sharks, learning to read other players and heinz variety)

Would we really want poker to be turned into a `video game` where you can opt to choose your skill levels? Me thinks not.

I absolutely love poker and  some of the most fascinating aspects to this beautiful game is its sheer randomness and the psychological element that makes it so enjoyable.Every player is different, has a different style, may be on a good day or a not so good day. We quite often come across players we have never played before and then we have to learn about this players style .

Furthermore, I don`t think we could `rank` everybodys ability because we ALL have good runs/ bad runs good days/not so good days and these things can be all down to many different reasons. Also a player may decide to  `mix up` their style of play with varying game strategies and so on and so forth.
    There are so many variants and that is what makes poker so unique.
  • edited June 2010
    That little box is for making your own notes--innit
  • edited June 2010
    Posted by GREGGYBOY

lol, just lol

2 put it very simply, alot of people think they can't beat micro stakes because the players are bad, they fish 2 much etc etc.....

the bad news is, if u cant adjust ur game to different players enough to beat micros, then you wont beat anything above it
  • ybyb
    edited June 2010
    This is one of the lolest posts ive read in sometime. Maybe the biggest fish should also have a black flag by their names so that they can be avoided at all costs? Makes sense to think you have more chance to win money off the better players imo.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't even know where to start, so I don't think I will.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    HAHA... you did start :)
  • edited June 2010
    This kinda reminds me of my time in secondary school - I think a few tykes made some "notes" about me.

Usually ended up with them coming up to me and demanding my lunch money.
  • edited June 2010
    Take a deep breath, go to sleep and when you wake up the world will be a happier place.

• edited June 2010